StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Orders of Battle

Notices and Announcements

Orders of Battle Orders-of-battle, TO&E's, and related information on who fought where and what they brought to the battle.

Old 04 Dec 10, 05:23
Private
Sweden

Mardefeldt is on the path to success [1-99]
Did the Syrians have any rocket artillery (BM-21) attached to their artillery Brigades?

Also, what sub-units did an IDF Division/Brigade have, e.g engineers, AT units and such?
Old 06 Dec 10, 21:49
First Lieutenant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardefeldt View Post
Did the Syrians have any rocket artillery (BM-21) attached to their artillery Brigades?

Also, what sub-units did an IDF Division/Brigade have, e.g engineers, AT units and such?
Strictly speaking about Yom Kippur:

Don't know about the Syrians and BM-21's.

At Divisional level, the Israelis had a Mechanized Engineering Bn, a mechanized armored recon (typically 3 mixed tank/mechanized companies and a jeep company), and 5 mortar/artillery battalions. No AT Units that I'm aware of, at least not of battalion strength and attached to divisions.

At Brigade level, the armor brigades had a recon company made up of jeeps I believe. Not much else in terms of support units. Mech units had a mortar (120mm) battalions. They may have had recon companies, but I can't verify.

Of course there's also attached medical, signal, maintenance units, but I figure you're not looking for that.
Old 07 Dec 10, 16:42
Private
Sweden

Thanks Dunnigan,

Do you know the designations of the IDF artillery battalions deployed on the Golan? Did the IDF had any rocket artillery?
Old 12 Dec 10, 14:34
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Currently away from my books, but IIRC Israel did deploy the Ze'ev rocket to some extent...
http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%96%...A7%D7%98%D7%94)
Old 12 Dec 10, 23:33
First Lieutenant
United_States

Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Thanks Dunnigan,

Do you know the designations of the IDF artillery battalions deployed on the Golan? Did the IDF had any rocket artillery?
Its provided in that waronline.org link I gave in an earlier response. Not all are identified.

According to that, Israelis had 2 battalions of captured BM-24's and a battalion of MAR-290's.
Old 20 Feb 11, 05:48
Private
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnigan View Post
I haven't logged in a while so I missed the discussion on the Syrian OB's. I have what Armstrong has only because we got it from the same sources (Dupuy and Asher/Hammel).

The Arab (particularly the Syrian) OB will forever never be a guarantee.

One thing to note about using Duel in the Golan as an OB source when compared to my research is that they differ and I believe Asher/Hammel were either misled or not fully provided with correct OB information as I noted some differences in unit designations and commanders (such as Gordon's brigade being referred to as the 70th Mech Brigade whereas it really is the 670th). This I believe comes from Chaim Herzog's books where he drops the first number from many unit designations to not give the actual unit formation's designation.

As for T-62's, this is according to Asher/Hammel, there was one T-62 brigade in each the 1st and 3rd Armored Divisions (91st and 65th respectively) and the 70th and 81st which made up the Presidential Guard.

The interesting thing is that the 1982 Lebanon Syrian OB I have the 1st Armored with the 91st Amd, 76th Amd, and 58th Mech, same as what Golani has for 1973. But the 3rd Amd I have 47th Amd (Indep in 1973), 81st Amd, and 21st Mech.

I want Dani Asher to release all his book in English.
About Syrian Tank Brigades, some sources also have a 46th Tank Bde, often attached to 5th Infantry Division. Some sources also have a 88th Tank Bde, belonging to the GHQ. Do you have any other info on that units?

Assad Guard, is it only the 81st Tank Bde, or is it both 70th and 81st bde's that was included in this unit?
Old 20 Feb 11, 06:56
Private
Sweden

Interesting page:
http://www.testofbattle.com/phpBB2/v...8240593ba82154
Old 23 Feb 11, 23:16
First Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:
About Syrian Tank Brigades, some sources also have a 46th Tank Bde, often attached to 5th Infantry Division. Some sources also have a 88th Tank Bde, belonging to the GHQ. Do you have any other info on that units?

Assad Guard, is it only the 81st Tank Bde, or is it both 70th and 81st bde's that was included in this unit?
I have sources that say either the 46th or the 47th Tank Bde, but not the 88th. In fact, I have no reference to the 88th Tank Bde.

Can't tell with the Assad Guard. Every source conflicts with each other.

Last edited by Dunnigan; 23 Feb 11 at 23:23..
Old 23 Feb 11, 23:17
First Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:
Interesting indeed. The initial post by Frank Chadwick looks like it was just lifted from Steven Zaloga who I always questions as to his sources.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!