StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 26 Jul 14, 23:41
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400]
I looked at Pathfinder and its an excellent system, just not my cup of tea.

I guess its contradictory of me to say, on one hand I like very simple and basic systems but then trot out both Rolemaster and HarnMaster as my preferred systems.
Old 27 Jul 14, 14:12
Private First Class
United_States

Urizen is on the path to success [1-99]
RoleMaster and HarnMaster are both great.
But my preferred Grog system is RuneQuest - preferably the 6th edition.
Old 27 Jul 14, 20:35
Colonel
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100] ROOBARB has demonstrated strength of character [100]
dnd for me begins and ends with 3ed its an okay system but soon became a pain in the butt after about level 10 we left it and now use savage worlds and have never looked back for me savage worlds is the best system out there hands down
Old 02 Aug 14, 04:33
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400]
Loved RuneQuest too, not sure which edition but it was in the early 80's so I am guessing the initial version. I think it was one of the few RPG's we played as is, without homebrewing other game system's into it.
Old 02 Aug 14, 13:37
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Runequest was played a lot in university. I never tried it though.
Sponsored Links

Old 03 Aug 14, 07:49
General
United_States

Once thing I liked about Runequest was the piecemeal armor and hit location tracking. HarnMaster does the same but is much more detailed, almost to the point of absurdity, realistic, but absurd.
Old 05 Aug 14, 11:02
Private First Class
United_States

Urizen is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Deuce View Post
Once thing I liked about Runequest was the piecemeal armor and hit location tracking. HarnMaster does the same but is much more detailed, almost to the point of absurdity, realistic, but absurd.
6th edition is the newest, it came out a couple of years ago - it's a complete rewrite based on Mongoose RuneQuest 2, though it's still fundamentally similar - hit locations and all.

6th edition, in particular, has something called 'Combat Styles' which covers both the use of a variety of weapons and other associated tactical/drill capacities (for example, Formation Fighter allows warriors using the combat style to reduce their enemy's Action Points, effectively negating some of his options in combat) and is both more realistic and simpler than the "73% Broadsword, 32% Dagger" list of misc. weapons.
Old 08 Aug 14, 06:31
General
United_States

Anyone get an early copy of the 5e PHB? I've seen pictures of it on Facebook in hardback so it must be out there.
Old 24 Nov 17, 01:06
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] G David Bock has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Looking like the most recent D&D/RPG thread, so here's an article of interest;
The rise of D&D liveplay is changing how fans approach roleplaying

12 comments

From Stranger Things’ Dungeons & Dragons obsession to the YouTube and Twitch players becoming online celebrities, role-playing games are becoming public entertainment

by Chris DeVille Nov 16, 2017, 2:45pm EST
https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/16/...reaming-gaming
Old 25 Nov 17, 15:08
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I had to give up on this a long time ago, and if I had not I would still have been left behind by all this grossly over-complicated crap.

THis is how they sell new books, and the changes will still come faster and harder than ever as long as people go along with it.

Twice the paperwork for 10% more fun?
Not a good trade, IMHO.
Old 25 Nov 17, 22:10
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exorcist View Post
I had to give up on this a long time ago, and if I had not I would still have been left behind by all this grossly over-complicated crap.

THis is how they sell new books, and the changes will still come faster and harder than ever as long as people go along with it.

Twice the paperwork for 10% more fun?
Not a good trade, IMHO.
That's what I thought; 4e was pure junk.

Then out of boredom one day I looked over the free rules for 5e.

It is a huge improvement over preceding versions. Gone are the endless pluses for this ability or that trait. The big modifier is Advantages and Disadvantages.

If you have an Advantage on a roll, you roll 2d20 and pick the high roll; same thing with Disadvantage except you take the low roll. You cannot stack either, but they can cancel each other out.

The magic and combat systems feels like an improved 1e. They've really improved monster stats, too.

The rules are much more streamlined; only about 10% of the PH handbook are rules.

It's work looking over the free rules pdfs.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 27 Nov 17, 00:16
Lieutenant General
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
I'm impressed by the 5e ruleset.

I don't have an existing local group, other interested players or (above all!) time to run one face to face but it's certainly something I'm interested in.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!