StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 08 Sep 11, 03:32
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Hard Reset

Have you noticed that I haven't been talking much about DXHR lately? I have to confess, it hasn't hooked me the way I thought it would. I burned through the first 12 hours in about two days, but then the hurricane hit and I lost power. But now that everything is back to normal, I just haven't had the urge to play it.

As I wrote in my most recent blog entry, I am getting annoyed with studios saying that they are focusing on PC gaming...when all they are doing is releasing console ports with extra PC graphics options. To be blunt: that is my impression of DXHR. It just looks like a console port to me. It also has that sloppy, sluggish feeling that all ports seem have on the PC. Now, to be fair, my vid card is too old to try the game on DX11 settings, but on DX10, the game is rather bland and forgettable. I am even finding the audio to be lackluster. I think GameSpot might have been the only honest review: the game is closer to 8.5 than to PC Gamer's 9.4.

Now, why am I saying this here? Well, today Flying Wild Hog Studio () released a Steam demo for Hard Reset and I have to say that I think I had more fun during the course of that brief (all too brief! ) demo than I had in all of my 12 hours with DXHR!

Hard Reset was promised to be an old-school, PC exclusive title, and it shows! The graphics, even on my old card, put DXHR to shame. It's a beautiful game with all the Blade Runner stylings that I am finding strangely lacking in DXHR. Yet, despite being beautiful (according to the demo, the game is running on Ultra settings!), the game runs like a dream. The audio also is fantastic. There are all sorts of ambient sounds - including creepy chirps and beeps from unseen killer robots that make you really paranoid - that make the game feel so much more alive than the strangely quiet levels in DXHR.

The gameplay is great, too. Again, this is an old school run and gun shooter, so there isn't a lot of sophistication here - think a modern FPS verison of the classic Berserk - but it is still a lot of fun. And it even has its own form of puzzles, too, as there seems to be multiple ways of defeating the hordes of killer robots. Really, I felt that there was almost a tower defense aspect to this game at times.

Long short: GO GET THE DEMO NOW!

As for me, I'm off to pre-order (10% off on Steam)! They earned my money just by making a solid PC ONLY shooter!

Vid:

Last edited by Rooks Bailey; 08 Sep 11 at 03:43..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 08 Sep 11, 10:09
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
Thanks for posting that. I saw the news this morning and am downloading the demo now. It's gearing up to be a busy Fall...

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Old 11 Sep 11, 17:21
Captain
United_States

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
New vid about the weapons in HR:

I pre-ordered to support this PC-only company.

Here's an older vid that sets up the story:

Last edited by Rooks Bailey; 11 Sep 11 at 17:26..
Old 12 Sep 11, 09:54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200] LongBlade is walking in the light [200]
I played through some of the demo. I liked it but part of me just didn't "get it."

It's highly polished, but I would have benefited from more introduction to what my bubble buster was supposed to be doing and why it takes 50 million shots to take out one of those little walker robots. Also, I never saw how upgrades did anything - maybe it's frozen in the demo?

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.
Old 12 Sep 11, 18:06
Captain
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBlade View Post
It's highly polished, but I would have benefited from more introduction to what my bubble buster was supposed to be doing and why it takes 50 million shots to take out one of those little walker robots.
Because...they have armor? Or they have a coat of Turtle Wax on them? I don't know. It's sci-fi, it's not supposed to make sense.

Quote:
Also, I never saw how upgrades did anything - maybe it's frozen in the demo?
I thought the few upgrades that were unlocked in the demo were quite interesting and really did make a difference. I loved the grenade launcher (and how the grenades would appear to roll for a few feet). I also liked the EMP add-on that would short-circuit the 'bots. The plasma arc (I forget the name) add-on also was very helpful in dealing with the little buzz saw 'bots. Once you hit them with that, they were easy to kill.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!