StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks > Mess Hall

Notices and Announcements

Mess Hall By popular demand - this area of the Barracks is set aside for all your culinary-related discussions.

Old 19 Dec 16, 20:48
General
Armchair_General

Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300]
British Cooking 101

Some ideas about cooking from British Pathé. (Their YouTube channel has 82,000 + videos of a historic nature).

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Dec 16, 20:57
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
Some ideas about cooking from British Pathé. (Their YouTube channel has 82,000 + videos of a historic nature).

The Queen of British Cooking

And either the King or Court Jester of British Cooking .

Old 19 Dec 16, 21:08
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Isn't British Cooking = boiling?
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 19 Dec 16, 21:57
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
No, they deep fry their hamburgers...

Never tried it that way but it sounds pretty gaggy the way one of my buddies described it.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 19 Dec 16, 22:30
Major General
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200] Drusus Nero is walking in the light [200]
British Eating in the Seventies...South Wiltshire style

Nice thread Rimmer, certainly brings back some memories....

One thing about the Brits...until recently they were seriously culinary challenged.

When I lived in Britain's southern area from 1971-late 1973, there was an "attitude" to all things British that seemed to run right through the entire country, and particularly the food.

that attitude was, (and with the recent Brexit, it seems still exists to some degree), that Britian is NOT EUROPE.
In our British life, even a house full of people who worked still meant that "muther", as they called my step-father's mom, had a set menu that went round and round, week after week, hardly ever varying.

One would think that wartime rationing was still a feature of culinary England

Monday was always the same...shepard's pie and chips.

Tuesdays we used to eat liver. My almost worse day of the week. "Muther" used to cover it in thick gravy, to soften the blow. Kennith, and Leslie were always at their girlfriend's place on Tuesdays.

Wednesdays, can't remember, I was only a child under ten.

Thursday...my favourite working week food day, with minced meat savoury style, and mashed potatoes.

Friday...EVERYONE looked forward to Friday, because it was the ONLY day where a "take away" was to be purchaced....and in Britain of the 1970's, that meant FISH AND CHIPS, The Sacred Day of The Fish & Chip Cult. Lines on Friday for "4 cod, two plaice and 50 'pee' worth o' chips", or "6 flake please, and chips" went round the corner. ALL fish was deep fried, (English people don't eat their fish anyother way...grilled fish UNKNOWN, crumbed fish...ewwww!) Deep fried fish and chips as I mentioned, was a Cult Status meal, frequently wrapped in newpapers, (try finding a F&C shop that does THAT nowadays), and covered in lashings of vinegar and salt.

when I went to Holland to visit relatives, I nearly fell over with surprise, little Pom that I was, when that Friday spent in Genappe, we got the usual F&C meal, and those silly Dutch vendors put mayonaise on my bloody chips!

SACRILAGE!!!!

I, being the culinary challenged little Pommie that I was, turned my nose up without even sampling those mayonaise encrusted "chips". The Dutch people grinned knowingly, as my mother ordered another serving, and in true Australian country fashion, ate the lot herself.

This small story is The British Attitude to food in the Seventies in MICROCOSM.

Who needed to try something different? With only the BBC to watch, we had no 'celebrity' TV chefs telling US how to cook and eat. "Muther' did that all for us; ALL the adult males in the family, ("Father", Barry, Kennith, and Leslie) only went NEAR the kitchen when it was time to eat, and 'muther' faithfully did the washing up as well, whilst the boys piled into the lounge, or disappeared in their cars, to go to their girlfriend's houses and have post dinner sex, another tradition of the English. They all had long hair and flared trousers, played soccer on Barry's football team, (he was quite a successful manager, winning 13 trophies in a calender year, and having one of his players successfully be picked up by a 'scout' for Liverpool F.C.. They all supported SOUTHAMPTON F.C., with Mick Shannon as Barry's favourite.

Back to the food, Saturday, 'muther' got a small break from her ceaseless kitchen chores, and we used to get, what Spike Milligan called with horror, "The Dreaded Cold collation". "Sald" consisted of sliced tomatoes, sliced cheese, a bit of lettuce, (when available) and otherstuff that shall remain nameless, because as a good little Pom, I used to turn my nose up at our "Salad Days"...and look forward to the best meal of the week....THE SACRED SUNDAY ROAST

SUNDAY...the ONLY day when 'dinner' was replaced by lunch. "Muther' used to make Yorkshire pudding, in little 'cups', and it wasn't stodgy or too dry, it was her speciality, and my mother, on this day of all days, was BANISHED from the kitchen, lest she interfear with the SACRED SUNDAY ROAST.

It was nearly alway roast LAMB, (we never ate pork for some unknown reason, and beeef was simply "to expensive"), but OHH that Yorkshire pudding, baked potatoes and lashings of gravy!

Sunday also meant the ONLY day for televised football. Brian Moore and "The Big Match", with brian taking the commentary for the main games, and Northerners with strong accents for ga,es from "anglia Television", (in my ignorance, I used to think it was ANGLICAN television.) High Johns used to cover those games.
At the near end of the show, Brian would say.."And now it's time for your letter"...usually featuring some poor slob up north that hadn't the money for a ticket more than once a year to see his favourite club, and then we'd get some northerner, calling about thirty seconds of higlights, because it was usuually some untelevised all year third or fourth division club....(The Welsh League was unheard of!).

Commentary usually finished the "Big Match", and the Letter section would see guts Kennith diving for the leftovers, to be ritually slapped on the hand, and told, "save it for "father" for loonch"

OH, Happy "Culinary Challenged Days of the Seventies"...Benny Hill on Thursdays, (the only day I was allowed to stay up late), long summer nights of Wiltshire, the boom of Larkhill Artillery School practicing in the distance....

Drusus

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
Lincoln-Douglas Debates
Old 31 Dec 16, 21:41
General
Armchair_General

Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
Old 31 Dec 16, 22:58
General of the Forums
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
It seems that the knockers( and I use the word advisedly) have never encountered Ms Nigella Lawson.
Old 01 Jan 17, 00:00
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
Well perhaps we could take a few leaf's out of the Yankee tree,could we not,hmmmmm?
You know, Seeing as how the Frogs have always somehow hoodwinked the rest of the world into convincing it that we are a simple boiled food nation and somehow they are a nation of grilled and tempered food, Rosbifs et al.
Sing-"Boiled beef and carrots, oh boiled beef and carrots...screech!
I would mention that all world travelled chefs are British but that may come across as a bit colonial, oh dear me.

I challenge anybody to find somewhere to eat (a meal) during daylight hours in Normandy, fancy little fanny ann cakes most definitely not included.

Give me a village and a pie shop and I will show you England!

Huzzah!! And huzzah again you jolly rotten foreign scoundrels and a damned good new year!
Old 02 Mar 17, 04:57
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Faggots

I'be been meaning to eat more offal, but find it quite unpalatable. Then I discovered faggots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

Unfortunately the brand I love is pure processed food, and given its total lack of nutrition, certainly contains no actual offal. So I made my own.

Ingredients.
1 lbs / 500 gm lamb or pork mince
1 lbs / 500 gm lamb offal (kidneys, heart or liver)
1 large onion
Seasoning
170 gm shop dried sage and onion stuffing mix
Spices

Method

Turn on oven to screaming hot.

Made the stuffing as per packet instructions. Left to stand for 10 minutes.

I completely blitzed the onion in a small food processor with the spices and seasoning. Then added lamb kidneys, and did the same until I got a slurry. The spices I used were Moroccan in style; paprika, cumin, coriander, chili, cinnamon, plus fresh garlic.

Placed lamb mince in bowl, added the above mixture, and scrunched ingredients together by hand until thoroughly mixed. Then added stuffing and did the same.

This result is sticky and I made 12 faggots which I dusted with flower. Placed them in a oven tea cake tray and coloured the outside of each in the oven for 5 mins, turning once half way through. Once they were starting to cook, I turned down the oven to 180C/350F.

Then I added gravy to each faggot tray, covered the whole tray in foil, and cooked for an hour. Delicious .

The dish is very rich so best served with a bland carb, such as mash or rice, plus peas. Further, I would suggest a red wine or balsamic vinegar based gravy to cut through the richness as well .
Old 02 Mar 17, 07:11
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Well perhaps we could take a few leaf's out of the Yankee tree,could we not,hmmmmm?
You know, Seeing as how the Frogs have always somehow hoodwinked the rest of the world into convincing it that we are a simple boiled food nation and somehow they are a nation of grilled and tempered food, Rosbifs et al.
Sing-"Boiled beef and carrots, oh boiled beef and carrots...screech!
I would mention that all world travelled chefs are British but that may come across as a bit colonial, oh dear me.

I challenge anybody to find somewhere to eat (a meal) during daylight hours in Normandy, fancy little fanny ann cakes most definitely not included.

Give me a village and a pie shop and I will show you England!

Huzzah!! And huzzah again you jolly rotten foreign scoundrels and a damned good new year!
Is there someone here fluent enough in Geordie who can translate this into English? Thank you.

Old 02 Mar 17, 07:14
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Before the Industrial Revolution writers from continental Europe used to comment on how well fed the average Englishman was compared to his Continental counterpart and the variety of foods available to him - especially the amount of meat available. Les Rost Bif may have become a term of derision but it was once an expression of envy when the typical French peasant saw meat only once or twice a week and very sparse portions at that . Accounts of rural feasts also provide illustrations of the variety of the cooking and England was especially known for the variety of pies that it produced. However with the Industrial Revolution there was a huge shift of population to the towns as the demand for labour multiplied and the Agricultural revolution meant that fewer and fewer peasants were needed to feed the industrial cities.

Cooking facilities in the new jerry built workers houses were almost non existent often being nothing more than somewhere to boil a pot. If someone wanted to bake anything they had to borrow room in the local baker's oven and roasting or grilling became impossible for most. Moreover the average industrial worker didn't have the time to spend on elaborate cooking. The countryside became much depopulated and rural standards of living also declined in many places.

By the 20th century the working class had to a great extent lost any culinary skills and the middle class never gained any usually employing a domestic servant to do the cooking (as did my own grand parents). Food shortages in WW1 and WW2 and due to the general economic incompetence of the post war Labour government further eroded standards which probably reached their lowest ebb with the introduction of the Wimpey bars with their cardboard burgers, British school meals and the works canteen. The availability of processed food on an industrial scale by the super markets hasn't helped. Fortunately things are changing and I can if I wish choose some excellent meals from local produce (some of the orchard raised pork is excellent for example) in some of the local village inns to be washed down with either wine from local vinyards, decent cider or excellent beers. One of these can boast that it was once serving meals to men who had returned from Agincourt.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!