StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 28 Aug 08, 04:46
Recruit
United_States

Mikey12 is a balanced individual [0]
Hmmm. Im what they call a B1. Was there for the launch. The idea was great, but the game sucked. Simple as that. The community, whined so much for miniscule detailsm that they lost sight of the big picture and the REAL issues, such as the worst infantry model EVER in a moder FPS.

Many fanbois of the game claim its a "realistic simulation" lol...They equate un-intuitive and with realistic.
Although Im of the mind set of gameplay/realism over graphics. The reason the graphics in BE/WWIIOL are poor is mainly due to small OUTDATED packet size they issue to transfer info. Their netcode would require a larger packet size, which would require more banwith to transmit, which COST MORE MONEY. Simple as that.

The community also spend tons of time organizing "training" corps, although some of these guy really wanted to help, they failed to see that most peoplewanted to get in the game and play. An ONLINE tutorial was always needed, with a boot camp/cert etc...but no "vets" wanted to training newbies lol...human nature I guess. There is no steep learning curve. There is a steep adaptaion to the game's inherents flaws, curve.

I know this post may seem negative, its not. I have nothing against BE. Its just not what alot of the fanois claim it is. Try it see for yourself, maybe you'll like it. Its no simulation though.

Dont believe me about the simulation bit? Battle plans most important detail is how to supply and safely re-supply your troops at the front. BE does not have real, played controlled supply which is the ONE thing that dictates and molded the battlefield of WW2.
Old 04 Sep 08, 20:40
Staff Sergeant
United_States

larizona is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey12 View Post
The community, whined so much for miniscule detailsm that they lost sight of the big picture and the REAL issues, such as the worst infantry model EVER in a moder FPS.
My experience with the game is from earlier this year, and I found the community to be very mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey12 View Post
Many fanbois of the game claim its a "realistic simulation" lol...They equate un-intuitive and with realistic.
To me, the game is more like WWII themed paintball with tanks and aircraft. Not realistic as far as WWII tactical combat is concerned, because there is no working platoon / company level organization. But still, I enjoy playing it.

Join the Army and see the Navy
sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933
Old 06 Sep 08, 16:52
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larizona View Post
My experience with the game is from earlier this year, and I found the community to be very mature.
The community is of the highest quality, and I can personally attest to that. When I tried to give WW2OL another go a year or two ago, someone I met through the CoH beta actually spent over an hour running me through what he called 'Boot Camp', giving me tons of useful information and giving me a place to start in his squad/guild/whatever.

Very mature, very helpful bunch.

Of course, this also reflects badly on the game that you need such a community to actually teach new players how to play the game.

Quote:
To me, the game is more like WWII themed paintball with tanks and aircraft. Not realistic as far as WWII tactical combat is concerned, because there is no working platoon / company level organization. But still, I enjoy playing it.
I agree here. One of the problems is graphics and how they play out: towns are ugly, with no real sense of life too them meaning that a bombed out building is nothing more than a large brown pyramid. Good graphics don't make a bad game good, but this game is an example of bad graphics making a good game worse. They actually affect gameplay, which is bad.

The other is that there are not enough people in the game to actually simulate anything more than small skirmishes. You never have a few thousand people fighting for a town or city.

Honestly, I think the best thing would have been for a smaller map on a different scale. Maybe a life-size 'Stalingrad' map, where everyone fights within that one large city. Putting the people into a smaller area would have helped make sure that combat involves more people, and then they could have focused on making the urban enviornment at least visibly attractive and functional. Currently, its worse than Half-Life 1, which is a bad sign.

Of course, they would also need to add in the area around the city to provide some open ground for people who want to fight there, but as is the game is just too ambitious in scope and doesn't have the player base or technical ability to reflect WW2 combat accurately.

Oh, I almost forgot: the game really needed to be set in a later era of the war, because infantry still have nothing to oppose armoured vehicles. I remember when I played it back in the 8th grade and all you had were satchel charges. Give us Panzershreks and Bazookas!

That game had potential.
Old 07 Sep 08, 07:40
Colonel
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonofdecay View Post
The community is of the highest quality, and I can personally attest to that. When I tried to give WW2OL another go a year or two ago, someone I met through the CoH beta actually spent over an hour running me through what he called 'Boot Camp', giving me tons of useful information and giving me a place to start in his squad/guild/whatever.

Very mature, very helpful bunch.

Of course, this also reflects badly on the game that you need such a community to actually teach new players how to play the game.
Well i started out solo, with no idea what to do and by the third day i had massed enough points and kills to advance to level 3. It's hard but it's not too hard. Ofcourse I did choose an area where points were easy to come by.. AA gunnery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonofdecay View Post

Oh, I almost forgot: the game really needed to be set in a later era of the war, because infantry still have nothing to oppose armoured vehicles. I remember when I played it back in the 8th grade and all you had were satchel charges. Give us Panzershreks and Bazookas!

That game had potential.
Well there is the british grenadier with a HEAT grenade, which functions more or less like a light PIAT and the ATR rifles which can and will kill lighter tanks and other armored vehicles, while at the same time being excellent medium range antipersonell rifles. Also the 232 and other lightly armored vehicles can be killed closerange with an mg if you know what you are doing. You need some skill and luck for that tho. Hell, you can even kill a tiger with a pistol if he is stupid enough to drive around unbuttoned. Kill the commander, climb on top and shoot everyone from the hatch.

And if you are infantry and spot a stationary tank or even a moving one, let others know, mark it, guide others, be it airplanes or other tanks or even atg's to the tank and see it burn. I'm usually a tanker and let me tell you, there's nothing better than infantry on the ground guiding you to targets, spotting atg's for you and covering your ass vs. sappers. Going around solo can be rewarding at times but usually without inf you die very quickly.

edit: But it is a sad fact that when you have a group operating together and coordinated even at squad level they usually go through the defences like hot knife through butter. It's even worse at defence. Most of the time the game is one giant freeforall.
Old 09 Sep 08, 10:53
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
Well there is the british grenadier with a HEAT grenade, which functions more or less like a light PIAT and the ATR rifles which can and will kill lighter tanks and other armored vehicles, while at the same time being excellent medium range antipersonell rifles.
I got a kill with the British rifle grenade when I blind-fired through some bushes and hit a Panzer III.

That just made my day.

Quote:
Most of the time the game is one giant freeforall.
And thats one of the problems: the game just doesn't capture the feel of WW2 combat because, in the end, you only have a few blokes per mile. A smaller map would have made sense in my mind, because then it would force more players into contact with one another.

Do you really need to be able to fly a plane in a straight line for hours before reaching the edge of the map?
Old 26 Sep 08, 17:10
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Jim H. Moreno has disabled reputation
It's time for your Battleground Europe update! We've had a busy few weeks since the launch of the new website. One of the longest campaigns on record has finally ended, several special events have been held, and a new free trial offer is starting today.

SPECIAL RANK BONUS FOR FREE TRIAL USERS
To kick off the start of Campaign #46, Playnet is offering all new free trial players the chance to gain rank faster. Any new trial player who completes a minimum of 25 sorties in any Army persona and a minimum of 2 hours total combined mission time will automatically be elevated to rank 3, giving them access to more weapons and vehicles. The Rank Bonus offer ends October 9th, 2008. Sign up here.
(http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/in...ls-in-the-game
)

CAMPAIGN #45 ENDS IN AXIS VICTORY
At 88 days long, Campaign 45 slides into second place on the "longest campaigns in the games history" list. Congratulations to the Axis players for their hard fought victory, and kudos to the Allied players who took the fight up to their opponents! Campaign #46 starts today and promises to be a tooth and nail battle as the Allies seek to regain supremacy in Europe. Read more about it here.
(http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/in...ls-in-the-game
)

KILL-A-RAT EVENT ANOTHER HUGE SUCCESS
Wednesday nights "KILL-A-RAT" event drew hundreds of players into a frenzied online battle with 1 goal: Score kills on Cornered Rat Software staff!
Several times a year, the "RATS" offer their players a chance to win a free years subscription as well as the coveted "I Killed A Rat" T-shirt by offering themselves up as targets. As usual, the community responded with unbridled enthusiasm and racked up dozens of RAT kills.

Just what goes into the weapons models in the game? - DOC

A player was asking about the differences between the two models of Sherman tank we have modeled in Battleground Europe. In describing those differences, I thought it might shed some more light on the level of detail we use in our weapons modeling for ALL the weapons and vehicles of the game, just in case this aspect of what the game does do so well is part of what you like so much about it, or might like so much about it now that you know about it!
Old 27 Oct 08, 17:22
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Unity Upgrade- A Work in Progress

Quote:
Earlier this week CRS Senior Producer, Dana 'GOPHUR' Baldwin provided some insight to the long-awaited Unity engine upgrade that we've been working on for several years. The Unity engine is our own proprietary MMO game engine that covers a number of systems such as physics, ballistics, networking and graphics to name a few. The upgrade to these systems is more than simply adding new visuals effects, it's the way all these systems interact and what they deliver. For those of you expecting performance gains in 1.29, you will have to wait for the calendar to turn over.
Old 01 Nov 08, 10:09
United_States

In preparation for the launch of Battleground Europe into the Chinese gaming market in 2009, our developers have poured thousands of hours into version 1.29, which will add features and improvements that will benefit both current and future players. Senior producer Dana Baldwin says "As we worked together to prepare for a launch in China, we realized that this is a great opportunity to improve and add to the gaming experience."

Full details of what is included in 1.29 can be read here.
(http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/in...en-test-coming
)

Free Trial Promotion Through MMORPG.com

Beginning October 30th, Playnet Inc and Cornered Rat Software and are inviting members of MMORPG.com (http://www.mmorpg.com/), the premiere source for news about Online Multiplayer Games, to a special 14 day free trial. Visitors to MMORPG.com will receive a unique key that allows them to access the Battleground Europe free trial.

Unity Upgrade- A Work in Progress

Earlier this week CRS Senior Producer, Dana 'GOPHUR' Baldwin provided some insight (http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/in...en-test-coming
) to the long-awaited Unity engine upgrade that we've been working on for several years. The Unity engine is our own proprietary MMO game engine that covers a number of systems such as physics, ballistics, networking and graphics to name a few. The upgrade to these systems is more than simply adding new visuals effects, it's the way all these systems interact and what they deliver. For those of you expecting performance gains in 1.29, you will have to wait for the calendar to turn over.
Old 10 Nov 08, 13:57
Lieutenant General
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200] Napoleon is walking in the light [200]
Ughhhh, I have surrendered. I tried the trial and now I am so addicted that I am playing until 2 AM. Looks like I will finally go against my old doctrine of never paying subscription fees for a computer game.

On another note, I believe it is time for an ACG Squad.
Old 10 Nov 08, 15:29
United_States

WWII Online: Battleground Europe Version 1.29 Goes Into Open Testing

Bedford, TX, November 7th, 2008 - In preparation for the launch of the award-winning MMOG “WWIIOL:Battleground Europe” into the Chinese gaming market in 2009, Playnet Inc and Cornered Rat Software have poured thousands of development hours into version 1.29, which will add features and improvements that will benefit both current and future players.

Senior producer Dana Baldwin announces "Today marks a big milestone in the testing of the latest version of WWIIOL:BE as we have shipped a server and client package to China to begin Closed Alpha testing on the servers there. With that completed we can focus on the remaining tasks for version 1.29 and prepare to go live in the next couple of weeks or hopefully sooner. Our Open Test server has as always been a great tool for our community. While they get a sneak peak at what’s new we in turn get the chance to get feedback and bug reports. As of today’s test release we will have closed all issues sent to test. We still have some bug reports and some features left to complete but this is a very big milestone on the path to release. With the continued support of our testers we look to be on track for a release in the next week or two".

Version 1.29 includes not only Chinese language support, improvements to air combat, updated terrain and buildings, but also training zones and tutorials, something that will help flatten the learning curve for new players. The new tutorials will provide players unfamiliar with first person shooters the basics of controlling their character in an MMOG. In addition, basic training on the weapons available in game will provide them with a fighting chance in the intense and brutal combat encounters common to Battleground Europe. The tutorial scripting language coded for this upgrade allows for building and expanding the training system to include combat and advanced combat training.

Beginning October 30th Playnet Inc and Cornered Rat Software have been inviting members of MMORPG.com, the source for news about Online Multiplayer Games, to a special 14 day free trial. Visitors to MMORPG.com will receive a unique key that allows them to access the Battleground Europe free trial, as well as special offers and the chance to win some great prizes.

Old 26 Nov 08, 10:01
United_States

Battleground Europe v1.29 Released!

Version 1.29 has become one of the most eagerly anticipated updates for Battleground Europe. Features include a brand new tutorial program that will give new players a better understanding of how to survive and thrive in those first few forays on the virtual battlefield. Along with Air combat improvements, new and updated terrain features and improved keymaps, several game features unique to the release into China next year were included such as text translation and anti-addiction code. Many of the features required for the Chinese release have laid the foundation for exciting new upgrades in the future.

"As we worked together to prepare for a launch in China we realized that this is a great opportunity to improve and add to the gaming experience."
Dana "GOPHUR" Baldwin

Both staff and players are excited about v1.29 and what it means to the future of Battleground Europe. This US Thanksgiving weekend promises to see some epic online battles as players who have patiently and eagerly anticipated the update log in for combat.

From what I can see in the Beta, this is hands-down the absolute BEST version of the game I have EVER played! It truly is a whole new game. Can't wait to try it out with the real war on the live server. Thanks CRS! "Xanthus"

A full read me of the features included in v1.29 as well as game updates and announcements can be found on our website www.BattlegroundEurope.com.
Old 21 Jan 09, 13:06
United_States

WWII Online: Battleground Europe Now Available at GamersGate!

Bedford, TX, January 20th, 2009 - Playnet Inc./Cornered Rat Software announced today that it has finalized a new agreement with Gamersgate, a leader in digital game distribution. The agreement makes Playnet's award-winning MMOG "WWIIOL:Battleground Europe" available for download at GamersGate's online store, expanding distribution in the North American and European markets.

"GamersGate is very proud to cooperate with Playnet/Cornered Rat Software and have their game, "Battleground Europe" in our list of games, we really look forward to a successful 2009" says Pernilla Eriksson, PR and Marketing Manager.

"It's always exciting when we create an opportunity that brings our game to a wider audience," said Al Corey, Executive Producer at Cornered Rat Software. "Having Battleground Europe added to the GamersGate library means players who might not otherwise find us will discover one of the best PvP MMOs on the market."
Old 24 Mar 09, 09:56
United_States

Battleground Europe Unique Free Trial Promotion

Bedford, TX, Friday, March 20th, 2009 -- Cornered Rat Software is offering a unique twist to their 14-day free trial of their massively multiplayer PC game, "WWII Online: Battleground Europe". For a limited time, trial players will have the chance to have their face added to an in-game character. The game is available for download and play at the official website. (BattlegroundEurope.com)

Cornered Rat Software is inviting gamers to participate in a limited time 14-day free trial offer for their award-winning MMOG, "WWII Online: Battleground Europe". Anyone who creates a free trial account between March 20th and April 10th, 2009 will be eligible for a drawing in which three winners will have their own likeness added to the library of faces used for infantry characters seen by thousands of players. Information about how faces are added to in-game characters can be found at www.battlegroundeurope.com/faces. See the trial information page for more details at BattlegroundEurope.com.
Old 04 Jun 09, 06:52
Colonel
Estonia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100] String has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Yesterday there was a 65 tank formation on the allied side that captured St. Niklaas from the enemy

Last edited by String; 04 Jun 09 at 07:49..
Old 06 Jun 09, 09:00
First Sergeant
Netherlands

macfrank is on the path to success [1-99] macfrank is on the path to success [1-99] macfrank is on the path to success [1-99] macfrank is on the path to success [1-99] macfrank is on the path to success [1-99]
WOW ! That looks almost real!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!