StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 16 Oct 11, 02:23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

hairog is on the path to success [1-99] hairog is on the path to success [1-99] hairog is on the path to success [1-99] hairog is on the path to success [1-99]
World of Tanks...What's the Deal?

From what I can see from the videos on Youtube World of Tanks is basically Bumper Cars using tanks.

I see no semblance of reality nor any strategy. You just run up to other tanks and try and shoot them in the ass.

What am I missing?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 16 Oct 11, 06:08
Brigadier General
United_States

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Immersion.

Try out World of Tanks for free. If you don't like it you can always uninstall.

Have fun!
Old 16 Oct 11, 13:10
General of the Forums
Romania
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairog View Post
From what I can see from the videos on Youtube World of Tanks is basically Bumper Cars using tanks.

I see no semblance of reality nor any strategy. You just run up to other tanks and try and shoot them in the ass.

What am I missing?
Who said PC games have to perfectly resemble reality to be liked?

Regarding strategy, you're right there is none in random battles since there are random players and no time to establish one. But join a clan and install teamspeak and you'll see there is room for strategy.
Old 16 Oct 11, 17:20
Captain
United_States

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairog View Post

What am I missing?
I sort of agree. Don't get me wrong: the game was fun. But for a title that's been pushing its historical realism, I just didn't see it. It just reminded me of WoW with tanks - and, unfortunately, that was how many of the players treated it.

Personally, I think the devs would have been better off dropping the whole WWII angle and just gone sci-fi. Than the lack of realism wouldn't have been as glaring.
Old 23 Oct 11, 12:53
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Bailey View Post
Personally, I think the devs would have been better off dropping the whole WWII angle and just gone sci-fi. Than the lack of realism wouldn't have been as glaring.
Eh, I see it both ways. I've had lots of fun playing games that are set in historical periods but don't strive for absolute realism. Just look at Company of Heroes; the Germans can call in V1s for tactical strikes!

But CoH is still a great game and would have lost something if they had just gone for a strictly fantasy setting.
Old 23 Oct 11, 14:20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

hairog is on the path to success [1-99] hairog is on the path to success [1-99] hairog is on the path to success [1-99] hairog is on the path to success [1-99]
There may be an alternative. The old WWII Online now Battleground Europe is setting up special scenarios and one of them looks like a continuous tank only setting. Similar to the concept in this game but much, much, much more realistic.

Fist person perspective, so no flying around or target indicators. This is very unnerving and very realistic, heart pounding and terrifying. Very often you get killed without even seeing your assailant. Very frustrating until you do it to someone else and of course very realistic and again terrifying. Luckily you get to climb back in and try again.

Very accurate physics and ballistics. If you hit them in the right spot you get a one shot brew-up. If you don't hit the sweet spot it bounces off or just wounds a crew member (nothing worse than having your gunner get killed). They chances are you are then spotted and that big old gun starts to swing in your direction. Imagine being a Sherman against a Tiger. You can kill them in close with a shot up the butt but you usually only get one chance.

Try out the US concept of tank destroyer. Hop into the M10 Wolverine and see if you can hit the PZ IVG or Stug or even a Tiger in the sweet spot. You only get one shot most of the time so you better be good and I mean you. There is no auto gunner. It is you hopping from position to position although you can multi crew a tank with one other player. This is very satisfying.

If you're a graphics hound they have spruced them up pretty good. Not the best but more than acceptable in MHO.

Old graphics but this is without a doubt the luckiest tanker I've ever seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLL9Ew-7GQ8
Old 12 Nov 11, 00:48
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
WoT and similar games are nothing more than first person shooter clickfests. There may be team tactics that take advantage of gameplay but it is not historical, it is not tactical, it is not realistic.

What waste.

They still have not come up with a system that is better than the turn based war-game from 40 years ago (just added to the screen). CM Normandy and it s earlier versions with wego are more acceptable but the nonsense of WoT isn't worth the time of any serious student of history who would like to game.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.
Old 12 Nov 11, 09:55
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Criticising it for not being realistic is like criticising Die Hard for not being a realistic representation of MOUT. Neither were meant to be realistic and WoT certainly never claimed to be (although it does have some realistic features like penetration, specific parts being damaged and some others). So criticising it for lack of realism is either a result of not reading about it or some pointless snobbery.

Tanks simulators are a niche simulator market (and I can recall maybe 6 tanks sims from the past 20 years) and WoT clearly caters to a much larger crowd as it needs to make money given that you can ultimately pay nothing for it if you choose.

WoT isn't worth the time of any serious student of history who would like to game.

Rubbish. That's like saying music students should only listen to classical music in their free time.

I am a serious student of history because I study history, not game it. I do prefer realistic games but I don't always have 2+ hours to, for example, set up a realistic platoon or company scenario in Arma 2, write up a briefing based on SMEAC, recce, create an assault plan and then execute that plan. Plus, there's also the fact that I am not always up for something realistic. WoT can be fun and it is one of the few games where you can have a game in 10 minutes or less.

Last edited by Mackie; 12 Nov 11 at 11:06..
Old 12 Nov 11, 11:59
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

From what I've been able to discover. The folks a CRS are thinking about having a 3rd person view available in their new arena.

This I think would be a grave mistake. We already have WOT and don't need another one. I'm disappointed.

Howfully I'm wrong or there is a way to play without allowing 3rd person. Now that would be great.
Old 30 Dec 11, 18:31
Hero of ACG
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99] Mantis is on the path to success [1-99]
WoT has it's place. I played quite a bit during beta, but play dropped off since, and I haven't been online in many months. For those moments when 'meat & potatoes' is a little too filling, WoT can provide a nice 'lite snack'.

I will confess to buying that German Tier I tank for gold, and absolutely OWNING everyone with it. It is still my favorite tank to play - it's just a beast compared with everything else in it's class. (Got 12 out of 15 possible kills in one battle - I pretty much single-handedly ate the other squad, and getting 5+ kills every time with that sucker is common).

Also, the Yanks have a light tank I also paid for with gold (The US was not in the game yet, so it is under the Russian banner) that goes like a bat out of hell and shoots 3 times - this is my second favorite tank.

I also confess to using that one 'improperly' - I know it pisses off most people on my team, but I will do a tank rush with that one because it is SO fast I can usually take out most of the enemy arty with it, recon the entire enemy side of the map, and circle all the way around back to my own side still healthy and with a few kills under my belt.

So my take on it is 'a place for everything'... Otherwise it's just like saying us hardcore Grognards cannot enjoy a game of Risk! from time to time...

(Speaking of which, has anyone picked up Risk Legacy yet?)

Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links

Old 31 Dec 11, 18:53
General of the Forums
Romania

Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600] Imperial is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
WoT has it's place. I played quite a bit during beta, but play dropped off since, and I haven't been online in many months. For those moments when 'meat & potatoes' is a little too filling, WoT can provide a nice 'lite snack'.

I will confess to buying that German Tier I tank for gold, and absolutely OWNING everyone with it. It is still my favorite tank to play - it's just a beast compared with everything else in it's class. (Got 12 out of 15 possible kills in one battle - I pretty much single-handedly ate the other squad, and getting 5+ kills every time with that sucker is common).

Also, the Yanks have a light tank I also paid for with gold (The US was not in the game yet, so it is under the Russian banner) that goes like a bat out of hell and shoots 3 times - this is my second favorite tank.

I also confess to using that one 'improperly' - I know it pisses off most people on my team, but I will do a tank rush with that one because it is SO fast I can usually take out most of the enemy arty with it, recon the entire enemy side of the map, and circle all the way around back to my own side still healthy and with a few kills under my belt.

So my take on it is 'a place for everything'... Otherwise it's just like saying us hardcore Grognards cannot enjoy a game of Risk! from time to time...

(Speaking of which, has anyone picked up Risk Legacy yet?)
What tier I German tank that is a beast? The tractor?

Do you mean the tier 10 Maus? If so, then it's no longer a beast and you can't go through the other team like a hot knife through butter. Things are much more balanced. When the other team has a couple of tier 10s as well, plus several tier 9s and top tier arty it's no longer a piece of cake for the Maus.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!