StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 19 May 10, 06:42
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
Hahah nice find, Scott - There's a Marine on the wing!!!

There are lots of funny or just plain awesome ArmA2 vids out there, ranging from "Bigfoot" encounters, to RPG's that fire cows, to movie-like cinematics, and also quite a few vids showing off the realism.
One of the first vids i saw showed a patrol through an Afghan-like city, with some radio chatter and the player turning his head from side to side to talk to the others. Eventually the patrol was hit with an IED and chaos followed.
But the really interesting thing about the vid is it was filmed in-game and then re-filmed with a handheld camera to give it a more authentic look - It obviously worked because the majority of the comments were from people saying that he shouldn't be uploading actual footage of the war.

Another vid that i've always liked is this:

...It seems to not be loading, so here's the link instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EaQIEWGc-Q
When using the Youtube tags all you need is the stuff after v=

Can you remember the name of handheld camera video? Sounds interesting.
Old 19 May 10, 12:16
Sergeant Major
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build 

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie
Can you remember the name of handheld camera video? Sounds interesting.
Unfortunately i've not been able to find it since that first time - Though there are many other vids out there that try to look as realistic as possible. The vid i was talking about did spoil it once or twice by looking over at the driver...With his hands down by his side he kind of ruined the realistic look.

I don't usually browse youtube, but i was bored at work one day and wanting to watch ArmA related vids and i found this. Obviously alot of editing was done, he's even managed to create animations it seems.

Also, just finished your Utes mission, Mackie. Nicely put together. A clean sweep of the whole island.

The end result: (and spoilers)

Thanks for the mission, and for leaving it open and editable.
Old 19 May 10, 23:37
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:

There are lots of funny or just plain awesome ArmA2 vids out there, ranging from "Bigfoot" encounters, to RPG's that fire cows, to movie-like cinematics, and also quite a few vids showing off the realism.

One of the first vids i saw showed a patrol through an Afghan-like city, with some radio chatter and the player turning his head from side to side to talk to the others. Eventually the patrol was hit with an IED and chaos followed.

But the really interesting thing about the vid is it was filmed in-game and then re-filmed with a handheld camera to give it a more authentic look - It obviously worked because the majority of the comments were from people saying that he shouldn't be uploading actual footage of the war.
There are a lot of great ArmA vids out there. When Ritchie Speed released those early ArmA II vids, I said that this sim reminded me of the Charles Sheffield sci-fi short story, Fixed Price War. It still does. If you haven't read the story, you might want to check it out as it does sort of tie into ArmA in a cautionary way.
Old 20 May 10, 12:26
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Unfortunately i've not been able to find it since that first time - Though there are many other vids out there that try to look as realistic as possible. The vid i was talking about did spoil it once or twice by looking over at the driver...With his hands down by his side he kind of ruined the realistic look.

I don't usually browse youtube, but i was bored at work one day and wanting to watch ArmA related vids and i found this. Obviously alot of editing was done, he's even managed to create animations it seems.
FarTTmSgSjQ
Damn good video. I was impressed with those new animations but I think it's just incredible scripting and/or editing.

Quote:
Also, just finished your Utes mission, Mackie. Nicely put together. A clean sweep of the whole island.

The end result: (and spoilers)

Thanks for the mission, and for leaving it open and editable.
Thanks for the AAR.

I'll have to give that JTD fire and smoke a try, sounds like it can give very interesting results.

When I was building the mission that urban script always forced the enemy into the destroyed church. I tried placing them in different positions but the result was the same. One thing I didn't try was having them just patrol around the village. If you want to try that just double click the leader of each group in the first village. You should see a bunch of code in the Init line. Remove the word 'fortify' and random if it's there (can't check at the moment) and this will avoid them spawning at the edge of the village causing an early contact; unless you want that of course. Now place the groups where you see fit, give the mission a go and see what the result is.

I decided to keep it editable so you guys could play around with it and add, change or take away stuff. One of the things I did was swap the USMC out for Aussies.

I am working on another mission that takes place on Utes that's somewhat similar. I got inspired to make it when I was watching Gladiators of WW2: Paras and Commandos on the Military History channel. The raid on Utes is at night, no NVGs and just some light air support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jZhCa9cGKI

It's loosely based on Operation Archery which was the Commando raid against Vaagso in Norway which the interesting character Major 'Mad Jack' Churchill participated in. http://www.combinedops.com/vaagso.htm

This clip from Gladiators of WW2 tells you a bit about it:

I have two early versions made, both use ACE (which I have been quite keen on lately) but one uses GL4 AI and the other uses SLX.

I am a bit stuck on what delivers the best experience. The building garrison feature doesn't seem to work. Instead of moving into the control tower they just stand beside it.

With SLX I think the AI do and they also fire flares which is great for illuminating the area.
Old 23 May 10, 22:08
Sergeant Major
UK

Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99] Nokturnal is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Thanks for the AAR.
No worries. I'll make a few adjustments to the mission and see if i can come up with some different results.
I'm thinking more air units (just for some more chaos in the skies) and maybe some more enemy vehicles. If i think about it, i'll take some screens while playing.
Always like AARs for games, A2 especially.

Quote:
If you want to try that just double click the leader of each group in the first village. You should see a bunch of code in the Init line. Remove the word 'fortify' and random if it's there (can't check at the moment) and this will avoid them spawning at the edge of the village causing an early contact; unless you want that of course. Now place the groups where you see fit, give the mission a go and see what the result is.
Thanks for the tips, if i can't get these first enemies sorted i might just scatter twice as many around the town and set them to only appear 50% of the time.
I also might try to make use of this mod i found which creates a new module that alters weapon properties to create more dispersion. All you do is place the module, and synch it with the group you want effected. I've ran some tests and it certainly does make for longer/louder fire-fights.
Maybe i could halve the friendly forces and double the enemy forces, but give them poor aim to just make it more hectic.

Quote:
I decided to keep it editable so you guys could play around with it and add, change or take away stuff. One of the things I did was swap the USMC out for Aussies.
Great idea! That's on my to-do list .

Quote:
I'll have to give that JTD fire and smoke a try, sounds like it can give very interesting results.
With the latest release of JTD's Fire and Smoke there's an annoying bug. When there's a fire blazing (which there almost always will be) you can often hear the fire burning as if it's 5m away from you, even if it's 200-800m or even not in sight. So if that sort of thing ruins a mod for you, maybe wait for the next update. I'm considering it too, having recently got a friend into A2 i've had a chance to look at the game un-modded again, and it still looks pretty good.

I believe the main purpose of the mod (aside from giving fires a new look and alot more smoke) is to make it last longer and keep the fire growing. Starting a fire in the forest usually results in a huge chunk of the forest going up in flames.

Your new mission sounds interesting too. I've always enjoyed the night missions, and usually prefer to play without NVGs. More of a challenge looking for silhouettes and muzzle flashes.
SLX contains alot of great features, i'm surprised it doesn't get talked about as often as it should. But i guess ACE does overshadow it a bit...
I've got all the addons you mentioned so i'll deffinately be up for some testing when it's ready.
Old 24 May 10, 01:17
Banned
Netherlands

45Colt is on the path to success [1-99] 45Colt is on the path to success [1-99]
I played Arma 2 and I didn't care for the campaign. i just played the first mission though.
I'm playing OF Dragon Rising now. I'm a ways through the campaign. i like it. the interface just looked better to me, as far as the graphics i'm not sure. about the same
Old 25 May 10, 08:53
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Colt View Post
I played Arma 2 and I didn't care for the campaign. i just played the first mission though.
I'm playing OF Dragon Rising now. I'm a ways through the campaign. i like it. the interface just looked better to me, as far as the graphics i'm not sure. about the same
The guys who made ArmA 2 made the original OFP, Codemasters just published it. Dragon Rising was just a quick buck for them and isn't true to the original at all. The editor is severely limiting and virtually little modding with no significant MP community.

The heart of OFP and ArmA is its flexibility in allowing you to make your own missions and mods without silly limitations like there is in DR.

Original OFP:

This is the mission that came with the demo back in the day. I played it at a mates house, his dad was ex-army and said this game was "realistic". I watched my mate play the demo and I was totally hooked. The large open areas, seeing the rest of your body in 1st person, your gun not being glued to the screen and the dialogue; "No John Wayne heroics, I don't want to see you going home in a body bag!" told me that this wasn't just another FPS.

The only thing that Dragon Rising had was the open areas but they penned you in anyway.
Old 25 May 10, 15:37
Banned
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
The guys who made ArmA 2 made the original OFP, Codemasters just published it. Dragon Rising was just a quick buck for them and isn't true to the original at all. The editor is severely limiting and virtually little modding with no significant MP community.

The heart of OFP and ArmA is its flexibility in allowing you to make your own missions and mods without silly limitations like there is in DR.

Original OFP:

This is the mission that came with the demo back in the day. I played it at a mates house, his dad was ex-army and said this game was "realistic". I watched my mate play the demo and I was totally hooked. The large open areas, seeing the rest of your body in 1st person, your gun not being glued to the screen and the dialogue; "No John Wayne heroics, I don't want to see you going home in a body bag!" told me that this wasn't just another FPS.

The only thing that Dragon Rising had was the open areas but they penned you in anyway.
I remember playing that demo years ago. From a demo disk. You had to drive a jeep to get there, before the truck. It was based in the Cold War or something.

I guess I'll give Arma 2 another go. Because I like to have freedom of decisions and plans of attack in a FPS. But it's nothing like Brothers in Arms though, where you can move your squad and an overlook map too. In Hells Highway anyway. I just like that interface better.

Last edited by 45Colt; 25 May 10 at 15:39..
Old 26 May 10, 20:33
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
It was based in the Cold War or something.
It's pretty hard to not tell whether it's the cold war or not, as it took up nearly half a century of history.

--Hávamál
Old 26 May 10, 21:28
Sergeant Major
UK

Quote:
This is the mission that came with the demo back in the day.
Thought ya might find this interesting.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=98637
W0lle remade Ambush for ArmA2 As he was the one who made it for the OFP demo back in the day, it should be a fairly accurate re-make too.

As for Dragon Rising..I think i've already ranted enough about that in another thread. Plus Mackie summed up it's failures here already.

Brothers in Arms - I thoroughly enjoyed this game. WWII setting, nice graphics, decent (but long and occasionally dull/overly dramatic) story. Being required to suppress enemies before moving forward was a nice change too.
But it still doesn't even come close to ArmA2 in terms of tactics/command possibilities/freedom to do what you want. The gameplay wasn't much more advanced than a CoD (or similar) FPS. Your health regenerates, your friends never run out of ammo, and if you get behind a over-turned wheelbarrow, or just anything not made of wood, you can withstand a barrage of bullets and 88 rounds...But as i said, for what it was, it was great fun.

As for freedom, other than choosing which friendly squad attacks which enemy squad, i'm not sure it had any freedom. You don't get to choose which squads to bring with you, or equipment. You are forced to go the way the story requires you to go and there are impassable walls or debris blocking any other path. Essentially it's a corridor shooter....But, again, still fun.

One last thing, i never understood why they didn't let you actually use the map to give orders. You can look at it, but then you have to put it away and move your squads around within the limited area of your vision.
The game would of been so much better had they let you properly plan out flank attacks with use of the map. In ArmA2 however, this is possible.
Sponsored Links

Old 26 May 10, 22:40
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
and if you get behind a over-turned wheelbarrow, or just anything not made of wood, you can withstand a barrage of bullets and 88 rounds...
Ah, yes, it's always realistic when the MG42 which could shred that entire wheelbarrow and kick you in the pants at the same time is blocked by the infallible wheelbarrow.

I love it too when something excellently bulletproof like a fabric overhang can protect you in FPS games, and other such useful and utterly realistic cover.

--Hávamál
Old 26 May 10, 23:10
Banned
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six 4 View Post
It's pretty hard to not tell whether it's the cold war or not, as it took up nearly half a century of history.
Was it. Thanks for the history class.

Many different weapons were used during the Cold War. The main infantry assault rifle ran from the M1 Garand, M-14, M-16 variations, and the AR-15. It could have been based in the 90's for all I know. It's been years since I played the demo. Or it could have been completely fabricated like Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising.
Old 26 May 10, 23:55
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Was it. Thanks for the history class.

Many different weapons were used during the Cold War. The main infantry assault rifle ran from the M1 Garand, M-14, M-16 variations, and the AR-15. It could have been based in the 90's for all I know. It's been years since I played the demo. Or it could have been completely fabricated like Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising.
Mmmm...thanks for the review of weaponry

--Hávamál
Old 27 May 10, 06:10
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
I remember playing that demo years ago. From a demo disk. You had to drive a jeep to get there, before the truck. It was based in the Cold War or something.
Yes, 1985 is the year the events in the game took place.

Quote:
I guess I'll give Arma 2 another go. Because I like to have freedom of decisions and plans of attack in a FPS. But it's nothing like Brothers in Arms though, where you can move your squad and an overlook map too. In Hells Highway anyway. I just like that interface better.
I'll be the first to admit that commanding a squad in ArmA isn't the easiest. The squad command GUI has remained almost unchanged since OFP. With ArmA 2 they introduced a new high command mode where you can control platoon, company and even battalion size units easily enough.

The difference with BiA is the maps are very small; Chernarus is huge and ArmA 2 has big view distances. There is also playable aircraft and tanks and your AI can run out of ammo etc. So the commands are complex but once you use them for a bit you easily remember them.
Old 27 May 10, 06:22
Brigadier General
Pirate

Quote:
Thought ya might find this interesting.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=98637
W0lle remade Ambush for ArmA2 As he was the one who made it for the OFP demo back in the day, it should be a fairly accurate re-make too.
Thanks for the link, I never knew there was a version for ArmA 2. I need to check the missions section more often.

Quote:
As for Dragon Rising..I think i've already ranted enough about that in another thread. Plus Mackie summed up it's failures here already.

Brothers in Arms - I thoroughly enjoyed this game. WWII setting, nice graphics, decent (but long and occasionally dull/overly dramatic) story. Being required to suppress enemies before moving forward was a nice change too.
But it still doesn't even come close to ArmA2 in terms of tactics/command possibilities/freedom to do what you want. The gameplay wasn't much more advanced than a CoD (or similar) FPS. Your health regenerates, your friends never run out of ammo, and if you get behind a over-turned wheelbarrow, or just anything not made of wood, you can withstand a barrage of bullets and 88 rounds...But as i said, for what it was, it was great fun.

As for freedom, other than choosing which friendly squad attacks which enemy squad, i'm not sure it had any freedom. You don't get to choose which squads to bring with you, or equipment. You are forced to go the way the story requires you to go and there are impassable walls or debris blocking any other path. Essentially it's a corridor shooter....But, again, still fun.

One last thing, i never understood why they didn't let you actually use the map to give orders. You can look at it, but then you have to put it away and move your squads around within the limited area of your vision.
The game would of been so much better had they let you properly plan out flank attacks with use of the map. In ArmA2 however, this is possible.
Completely agree with what you say. Suppression is nice but it lacks freedom although it is fun. I played the first one with a mate on his PS2, split-screen coop. Great fun.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!