StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion Military history of North America. .

Old 21 Sep 17, 12:14
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
Idk waiting to see what Poor Old Spike has to say.
So far it's been pure propaganda, the religious kool-aid.
Old 21 Sep 17, 12:15
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
So far it's been pure propaganda, the religious kool-aid.
You think Poor Old Spikes pictures are pro Christian or anti Christian?
Join the Templars-http://www.knightstemplarorder.org/
Old 21 Sep 17, 12:37
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
You have it bassawkwards, the requirement is to prove that such a book is accurate. And your proofs have been debunked repeatedly, so you need some new material.
What 'proofs' are those?

And I'm not talking about proving the Bible, but the existence of Jesus as an historical figure, which is why I gave Tacitus and Josephus as references.
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 21 Sep 17, 12:38
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
You think Poor Old Spikes pictures are pro Christian or anti Christian?
He's completely ate up with the stuff. I don't he gets the irony of the Wild Ones' image at all, or rationalizes it away if he does.
Old 21 Sep 17, 12:39
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
All true but that gives no proof that he is the son of God or that the Bible is the word of God!
That's why I was talking about the historical figure Jesus, not the religious one. The latter is a matter of faith.

To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Sponsored Links

Old 21 Sep 17, 14:57
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
The truth is that many white Muslims served the Ottoman Empire with distinction. I disagree that Muslims are violent conquerors, otherwise Islam would not be represented by whites, Arabs, blacks, Asians, all sorts of people same as Christianity.

I'm not sure of Charles Martel views of Islam, but I do know that Napoleon Bonaparte admired Islam..Now as a fan of Napoleon I take note of Bonaparte views of Islam.

The Spanish Empire in many ways mimicked the success of the Ottoman Empire. Spanish Muslims and Spanish Christians have contributed tremendously to the history of Spain.
Uncle Adolf also had a soft spot for islam so how does a twentieth century dictator and 19th century dictators approval of a religion reconcile itself if not due to the fact that both Napoleon and Hitler admired a man (Mohammed) who they probably saw a bit of themselves in.

I'd also like to add this little snippet that I learnt off the late,great Christopher Hitchens: An evil man will commit evil deeds but to make a good man commit evil deeds he needs religion.

I've no doubt that many of these jihadi bombers are actually good men or at least were at one point, then they discover religion and....................... BOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
Old 21 Sep 17, 18:31
Major
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Guys, to answer your questions-
1- I've been strutting my stuff in religious discussion forums for years, (including my "funny" pics) and everybody LURVS them to bits, including Christians and atheists etc, and I get plenty of feedback such as-
"Your posts put a smile on my face and have made me pick up my bible for the first time in years",
and from another- "I'm an atheist and probably always will be, but you're the only person who's ever made me seriously think of becoming a Christian."
So I must be doing something right..

2- Atheists quote from atheist books, so why shouldn't I quote from the Bible?..

Christianity is the biggest peloton on the road, Jesus said - "I've beaten the world" (John 16:33)
Old 21 Sep 17, 18:41
Major
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
..that gives no proof that he is the son of God or that the Bible is the word of God!
Try thinking in modern terms mate..
Technically Jesus said he was an alien with awesome powers who came to clue us in about things-
"I am not of this world ....though you do not believe me, believe the miracles.....i'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:23,John 10:38,Matt 13:35)
so wouldn't it be a bit unscientific and illogical not to hear him out?
Hey Spock will you listen to an alien visitor?

"Affirmative, I'm all ears"
Old 21 Sep 17, 23:23
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99] Stonewall_Jack is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Uncle Adolf also had a soft spot for islam so how does a twentieth century dictator and 19th century dictators approval of a religion reconcile itself if not due to the fact that both Napoleon and Hitler admired a man (Mohammed) who they probably saw a bit of themselves in.

I'd also like to add this little snippet that I learnt off the late,great Christopher Hitchens: An evil man will commit evil deeds but to make a good man commit evil deeds he needs religion.

I've no doubt that many of these jihadi bombers are actually good men or at least were at one point, then they discover religion and....................... BOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
Many criminals in the world are sports fans, doesn't make the sport a bad thing.

If one looks at what ISIL type suicide bombers are doing, its similar to the criminal activities of atheists all over North Korea as well as Atheists around the world who commit crimes..Its clear that a non religious background does not prevent violence, this goes to show that societies with religious laws can be better then societies without religious laws. The key is that any society religiously influenced or not, should be welcoming of and so called race or religion and should measure individuals on character and action not skin color or religion.
Join the Templars-http://www.knightstemplarorder.org/
Old 22 Sep 17, 04:38
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
(...)
Christianity is the biggest peloton on the road, Jesus said - "I've beaten the world" (John 16:33)
That's bloody Eddy Merckx, isn't it ??

Now I've seen it all

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 22 Sep 17, 05:10
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Many criminals in the world are sports fans, doesn't make the sport a bad thing.

If one looks at what ISIL type suicide bombers are doing, its similar to the criminal activities of atheists all over North Korea as well as Atheists around the world who commit crimes..Its clear that a non religious background does not prevent violence, this goes to show that societies with religious laws can be better then societies without religious laws. The key is that any society religiously influenced or not, should be welcoming of and so called race or religion and should measure individuals on character and action not skin color or religion.
Your rather weak analogy doesn't work, it is comparing sport to religion and violent men.
There are no atheists in NK, they are all devout followers of their god Kim and what wrongs they commit are done in his name and so therefore are not wrongs at all in their minds.
It's actually safe to say that NK is the most godly state on Earth, their deity is actually alive and walks amongst them so they know it's true.

Of course non religion doesn't prevent violence and it would be lame of anyone to suggest it does, I've been violent at times and god didn't make me do it.

What I'm suggesting though is that had I been a strictly peaceful and good person who abhors violence of any sort for whatever reason it would take me discovering religion and then feeling the need to defend that belief from people who I now consider to be inferior infidels to give me violent tendencies.

Show me the living standards of the citizens of any state that follows religious law, show me the human rights records of such a state, any religion?

You have no history of such a state in the USA but we in Europe do, that's why we had the reformation, we've tried it and we didn't like it and so as a consequence of religion we are now secular, coincidentally, that rise in secularism in Europe dovetails nicely into its transformation from a continent of cowed sheep working on the land, the populace under the lash of the church to an industrial and academic powerhouse that led directly to the advancement of mankind in every possible way.
Old 22 Sep 17, 06:56
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Try thinking in modern terms mate..
Technically Jesus said he was an alien with awesome powers who came to clue us in about things-
"I am not of this world ....though you do not believe me, believe the miracles.....i'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:23,John 10:38,Matt 13:35)
so wouldn't it be a bit unscientific and illogical not to hear him out?
Hey Spock will you listen to an alien visitor?

"Affirmative, I'm all ears"
I'm having a hard time believing adults talk like this.
Old Yesterday, 03:34
Major
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
..I am on the rolls as a Christian although I steer clear of churches at all times..
Me too..
My Christian friends tried to introduce me to some churches in the past but I always walked out bored stiff after about 10 minutes.
In fact my pals used to place bets among themselves on how long it'd be before I walked, and when they saw me heading for the exit there were cries of "There he goes, 6 minutes, I win!"..
Once I got up and walked before the service had even begun, but nobody had had the foresight to bet on 'zero minutes'!
Another time it was like trying to get out of Colditz, as some church members had stationed themselves at the doors and when I pushed past them on my way out one followed me down the street pleading with me to stay, but I managed to give him the slip and made a home run..

PS- The only church I couldn't walk out of was the chapel inside Leicester Prison when I was serving 3 months on a vigilante rap in 2002, but I didn't want to walk out anyway because the young woman chaplain was such a dish, and her services were always well attended by cons who secretly lusted after her, they used to go up and kneel in front of her and she blessed them by gently resting her hand on their heads and gave them a sip of communal wine.
Nothing wrong with booze of course, Jesus told his mates at the last supper "The next time I drink wine, I'll be drinking it fresh and new with you in my father's kingdom"
That's me out then, I don't drink (sniffle)..

Below: My old "church", Leicester Prison (England), 23 people were hung there in the good old days, and it once held the Great Train Robbers and Mad Frankie Fraser, how kool is that, and gives me bragging rights for life, and when I watch films like "Birdman of Alcatraz", "Runaway Train" "Papillon" and "Shawshank", I sit with a smug grin on my face thinking "bin there dun that!"..

"The raven himself is hoarse that croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan beneath my battlements"- Macbeth
Old Today, 09:43
Major
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulin View Post
...interesting in seeing the different cultures 'collide'...
Heathen cultures had been stagnant for thousands of years before we civilised them, for example the Seminoles hadn't built a single golf course or marine park in Florida in all that time, so no wonder Gary Cooper took it off 'em in 'Distant Drums'..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!