StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks

Notices and Announcements

The Barracks For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Members can retire from the serious discussions elsewhere on the forums...and relax here.

Old 23 Nov 17, 00:45
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up Prison: Please tell me my attitude is wrong.

Bosnian leader Ratko Mladic has just been sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity. He slaughtered thousands of Muslim boys and men.

He's 74 years old. I'm 67 and I would like his deal/sentence even though I've never slaughtered anyone, Muslim or otherwise. Not even a little bit.

He now gets free accommodation, free food, free clothes, and free healthcare for the rest of his life. Probably has access to a gym, TV and the internet too, because European prisons are liberal that way.

I can get none of these for free. Even though I am old, I have to struggle financially to maintain all those.

If you are 25 and get a life sentence, you are deprived of so much - sex, adventure, life's experiences, etc, etc. At 74 years old, you miss those not at all. So where is the downside from the incarceration if you are old?

I note that the recently imprisoned and elderly Bernie Madoff recently said that his time in his blue-collar prison (with gardening and TV, etc) has been the most content and happy time of his life.

Lucky Bernie. Where is the downside for people like him?

So now, shouldn't I go off to commit a non-violent, blue collar crime that will award me with the above benefits for the rest of my life, thus freeing me from the struggle to work and maintain those benefits by hard work myself?

Please tell me how I am wrong to think this way. It would help.

Philip

Last edited by PhilipLaos; 23 Nov 17 at 01:05..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 23 Nov 17, 01:54
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
You should!

Quote:
Donal Kelleher, 37, an inmate at HMP Cardiff, said that his en suite accommodation was "outstanding" and disclosed that he was paid 10 a week – to study for a maths GCSE – which he spends on cigarettes, chocolate and "other luxury goods".
A prison officer who has worked at Cardiff for 15 years said last week that inmates were simply sitting in their cells watching snooker on television or playing computer games.
He added that a new health care centre put local hospitals "to shame" and made it easier to see a dentist than on the "outside". The extraordinary claims were made after The Daily Telegraph disclosed last week that a prison officers' leader said jails had become so comfortable that some inmates were ignoring chances to escape.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1904...in-prison.html

Quote:
Inmates themselves have admitted conditions in some jails are like those at holiday camps.
One man jailed for repeatedly stabbing his wife once even claimed that he was enjoying a luxury life in prison and boasted that he was "better off inside".
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ish-jails.html

If you have a "sellable" prison skill like you can do some sort of maintenance like being a carpenter or electrician, or you can type and be a clerk, or are a good cook, you have a shot at a permanent job too that pays for your commissary.

You can also do "side jobs" that aren't officially sanctioned like run a laundry service or "store" selling commissary you bought to inmates who can't afford it for favors or other services.

The older inmates that have some useful skill are generally left alone physically because they are valuable to the inmate population for what they provide.
Old 23 Nov 17, 02:00
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Phil, I bet none of these things are found in a Lao prison. You are better off where you are at.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 23 Nov 17, 02:05
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Charles Manson enjoyed his decades in prison.

Prison as a deterrent or rehabilitation is, and always has been, a joke.

It is simply a place to warehouse criminals.

Prison in the USA tend to be tougher than the ones depicted above, but the Feds and many states run minimum security facilities which are reasonably nice to rather nice.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 23 Nov 17, 02:23
Lieutenant General
United_States

wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300] wolfhnd is on a distinguished road [300]
In form of confinement would drive me nuts. I have trouble sitting with my wife through a movie. I would rather be homeless and starving than be in prison.
Old 23 Nov 17, 06:16
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhnd View Post
In form of confinement would drive me nuts. I have trouble sitting with my wife through a movie. I would rather be homeless and starving than be in prison.
Not everyone had that attitude
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42057173
Old 23 Nov 17, 07:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Well this is where I'm going to spend my dotage in.

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetHomes/p...ountville.aspx

That's without breaking the laws and a just reward for my service.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 23 Nov 17, 07:35
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Just tell them you're his houseboy and I'm sure they will allow you residence with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipLaos View Post
Bosnian leader Ratko Mladic has just been sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity. He slaughtered thousands of Muslim boys and men.

He's 74 years old. I'm 67 and I would like his deal/sentence even though I've never slaughtered anyone, Muslim or otherwise. Not even a little bit.

He now gets free accommodation, free food, free clothes, and free healthcare for the rest of his life. Probably has access to a gym, TV and the internet too, because European prisons are liberal that way.

I can get none of these for free. Even though I am old, I have to struggle financially to maintain all those.

If you are 25 and get a life sentence, you are deprived of so much - sex, adventure, life's experiences, etc, etc. At 74 years old, you miss those not at all. So where is the downside from the incarceration if you are old?

I note that the recently imprisoned and elderly Bernie Madoff recently said that his time in his blue-collar prison (with gardening and TV, etc) has been the most content and happy time of his life.

So now, shouldn't I go off to commit a non-violent, blue collar crime that will award me with the above benefits for the rest of my life, thus freeing me from the struggle to work and maintain those benefits by hard work myself?

Philip
No lie.

~
"Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
-2 Commando Jumpmaster
Old 23 Nov 17, 10:18
General of the Forums
UK

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
A different class of prison

But we are told that 95% of the inmates are looking for a plea bargain!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-m...h-ritz-carlton
Old 23 Nov 17, 10:24
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
(...)

Philip
Quote:
Well it's not free - he did have to engage in genocide which is, from what I heard, hard work.

I suggest you leave Laos and move to one of the continental European retirement paradises, like Belgium.

We treat our retired just as we do our prisoners

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Nov 17, 12:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:

Philip
I wish I could, but you're not wrong.
Old 23 Nov 17, 15:29
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
In the US, your best two methods are to:

A. Write the President a really threatening letter. Be graphic about your violence.

B. Pass a note at a bank, robbing it.

These get you into federal prison which is generally nicer than state ones. There are fewer crazy, insane, motherstabbers and fatherapers in them too.
Old 23 Nov 17, 20:25
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
In the US, your best two methods are to:

A. Write the President a really threatening letter. Be graphic about your violence.

B. Pass a note at a bank, robbing it.

These get you into federal prison which is generally nicer than state ones. There are fewer crazy, insane, motherstabbers and fatherapers in them too.
Federal is definitely the way to go, particularly the minimum security facilities.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 23 Nov 17, 21:14
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
Federal is definitely the way to go, particularly the minimum security facilities.
I think a Medium Low is the way to go there. The camps (lows) usually have something akin to dormitory housing with open "cells" that just have low dividing walls and no individual doors.

The Medium lows have individual cells with doors the inmate can lock to keep other inmates out, even if the guards can enter. This gives a better level of privacy and you are still usually 2 to a cell. These, like FCI Safford in Arizona, also have IN and OUT custody so you could be on work crew that goes beyond the fence.
There are few dangerous inmates either way at these as they generally have non-violent offenders and people short to the door in them.

Camps often have fewer amenities like sports equipment, or a smaller library, than the mediums so you don't have as many options for "entertainment" at one. Camps also have fewer good paying inmate jobs to choose from so you need your own cash coming in regularly to buy commissary and such.
Old 23 Nov 17, 22:23
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:

Philip
To your point its very controversial that a man like Mladic is provided such benefits in prison. That being said for the poor or even rich man who engages in theft for example, whether its a Bernie Madoff or a candy store thief, is imo in a different category than a man like Mladic.

Id rather be free anyday of the week then have to live in a box inside of a bigger box I can never leave. Even if with a tv and some reading materials, as well as free healthcare, Ill take my freedom any day of the week over a paid for lifestyle inside of a box I can never leave.

Conservative values are also meant to be able to reform a prisoner....this can include testing the idea of allowing a prisoner to have a tv in their cell. It can be debated as to whether a violent criminal should receive the same benefits as a non violent criminal. Now I suppose one opposite of a prisoner having benefits, an extreme one, is to use torture methods on prisoners each day...There ought be a middle line, and actually, historically speaking in England, for example Queen Catherine of Aragon deeply cared for the poor and incarcerated of society.

In other areas of the middle ages there was no organized law enforcement, there were no jails...while the most grievous criminals were at times provided the death sentence, other crimes such as minor theft were meant with the prisoner having to stand out in the open often meant to be a form of public shame, but this way the public knew of the safety of the prisoner.

These days, jails are closed off from the public, and there are brutal sentences for people who have made mistakes by committing a crime, even mere theft, right here in the United States can come with a harsh sentence. How can someone who has never themselves been effected by a crime be ok with a fellow man languishing away in a jail for months even years upon end. Certainly the victims and families of victims must always be heard, but it may be beneficial if a middle line is agreed upon by victims and criminals when deciding how to punish a criminal . In such societies of the middle ages where there were no large jails or organized police force, the crime rate was lower then it is in much of the world today. If countries like the US and England, especially the US considering our large prison population ever want real change, we ought consider learning from the societies of the middle ages. I will say with all the advents in modern technology , some sort of organized police force can help, but what we can do is look at reworking the prison system.

https://www.livescience.com/927-medi...-medieval.html

Your own country and other countries have a history of leaders and common folk who stood for mercy...this is the route forward.

Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 23 Nov 17 at 22:33..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!