StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 10 Jan 14, 13:03
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
I just ordered my 2013 hardcover compilation of the Journal, and I'm chomping at the bit waiting for its delivery..........

Thanks again for the great relationship that exists between the writers/editors of the Journal and the ACG.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 10 Jan 14, 13:19
Staff Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hugh has disabled reputation
Thanks Lance - I sincerely hope that you enjoy it.
And, it is a great relationship. History research is all about sharing.

Hugh
Civil War Milledgeville
Remembering Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 17 Jan 14, 15:23
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams View Post
I just ordered my 2013 hardcover compilation of the Journal, and I'm chomping at the bit waiting for its delivery..........

Thanks again for the great relationship that exists between the writers/editors of the Journal and the ACG.
Well I got my copy on the mail yesterday. The quality of the paper, the paintings, and especially the copies of original newspapers are just incredible. For those who have read the articles online let me tell you that its even better in the printed version. Plus my question to Mr. History made the print version..........

Old 17 Jan 14, 16:30
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Lance,
I'm delighted that you like the book so far - - but, please don't leave it on the shelf; read it. There's a lot of new content that did not appear online. And, if you're interested in Rev War history as seen through newspapers take a look at Todd Andrlik's "Reporting the Revolutionary War" - it is outstanding history as seen through original newspapers.
Hugh
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 19 Jan 14, 11:21
Corporal
United_States

Mwschel is on the path to success [1-99]
Lance - you asked a great question about Peter Francisco and I was glad it made it into the special edition!

And everything Hugh said is correct as always.
and
The 83rd Pennsylvania Volunteers in the Civil War
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Jan 14, 14:36
Staff Sergeant
United_States

[QUOTE=

And everything Hugh said is correct as always.[/QUOTE]

Mike - Thanks,....but it's very clear you've never met my wife!
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 22 Jan 14, 15:59
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Lance,
I'm delighted that you like the book so far - - but, please don't leave it on the shelf; read it. There's a lot of new content that did not appear online. And, if you're interested in Rev War history as seen through newspapers take a look at Todd Andrlik's "Reporting the Revolutionary War" - it is outstanding history as seen through original newspapers.
Hugh
I thought that the inclusion of the period newspapers was one of the highlights of the book, and was mentioned in my 5 star review for Amazon.

Old 19 Apr 14, 11:32
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Here we are on April 19th, some 239 years later yet still debating who fired the first shot. This story came out a few days ago at the Journal of American Revolution and seems to be getting some excellent discussion.

http://allthingsliberty.com/2014/04/...the-americans/
Old 15 Jul 14, 17:20
United_States

I was hoping that one of our friends from the JotAR could answer this for me. I recently read Bernard Cornwell's "The Fort" which is about the fiasco sometimes known as the Penobscot Expedition. It paints Paul Revere as inefficient, self serving, insubordinate, and perhaps outright cowardly in his actions. Cornwell is usually well researched regarding historical characters that he weaves into his plots. Just how bad was Revere? And how much can be blamed on Massachusetts trying to "take all of the glory" by using only minimal Continental resources, and did it in fact nearly bankrupt the state?

Old 15 Jul 14, 19:25
Corporal
United_States

Hi Lance -

That's an interesting question. I enjoyed "The Fort," and wondered the same thing.

If you'd like, I can take this on in the "Dear Mr. History" column. However it will take some time, because I'm moving across the country this late summer which really throws off the writing process - books get packed and starting up a new house and so on. I probably won't be able to get you a full answer until November.

If anybody else can answer faster, by all means do so!
and
Old 18 Jul 14, 14:45
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwschel View Post
Hi Lance -

That's an interesting question. I enjoyed "The Fort," and wondered the same thing.

If you'd like, I can take this on in the "Dear Mr. History" column. However it will take some time, because I'm moving across the country this late summer which really throws off the writing process - books get packed and starting up a new house and so on. I probably won't be able to get you a full answer until November.

If anybody else can answer faster, by all means do so!
Mike (I mean Mr. History),

By all means take as much time as you need, you did such a great job on my Peter Francisco question. November would make it in time for the 2014 hardcover issue. I was going to post it on the JotRW site, but couldn't find the ask Mr. History column. I used kentucky1777 as my "nom de history" the last time. As always I love what your doing at the JotRW site and appreciate your contribution at the ACG.

Old 24 Jul 14, 17:06
Corporal
United_States

I am honored that you enjoy that JAR and the Mr. History column!

Consider your question accepted. I'll get on it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for reading and asking great questions!
and
Old 25 Jul 14, 12:40
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwschel View Post
I am honored that you enjoy that JAR and the Mr. History column!

Consider your question accepted. I'll get on it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for reading and asking great questions!
Mike,

I look forward to reading what you can dig up.

Old 04 Jan 15, 19:03
Corporal
United_States

Lance -

I have not forgotten about your question! An answer is forthcoming, but its taking a while.

I've done a lot of research and discovered some interesting things. The short answer, near as I can tell at this time, is that Revere did not cover himself with glory in the Penobscot expedition. However it is possible that he was maligned because of personality differences with his accusers. And as for Massachusetts wanting to grab all the glory, I don't think so.

Overall its a complicated situation that merits some more research to give you the most thorough answer possible.

In the meantime there is a new book out on the topic, "The Court Martial of Paul Revere." I read it, its good.

Thanks for you patience!
and
Old 07 Jan 15, 17:52
United_States

Mike,

Thanks for the update. I anxiously await to hear what your research turns up.

Lance

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!