StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 22 Apr 13, 22:53
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Good job Hugh!..It looks like a great site with a lot of info I didn't know anything about (Unleashing the dogs of War) the story of dogs in the American Revolution.
I have read about Christopher Columbus using Spanish Mastiff though as attack dogs...I think they go back to Roman times or before not sure but dogs have been around for quite a while for sure!
Old 22 Apr 13, 23:13
Staff Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hugh has disabled reputation
There's a new one about dogs in the works. Probably will appear next week. Keep checking back in. Thanks for the good words, it's appreciated.
Civil War Milledgeville
Remembering Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 23 Apr 13, 13:46
First Lieutenant
Canada

SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99] SmackUm is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
There's a new one about dogs in the works. Probably will appear next week. Keep checking back in. Thanks for the good words, it's appreciated.
Thanks Hugh...The Native North Americans used dogs for transportation the Ojibway to pull a Toboggan in our neck of the woods and up north the Eskimo to pull a sled in the barrenlands...
Your'e doing a great job the site looks good always interested in American History!
Cheers,Pat
Old 23 Apr 13, 14:56
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Thanks, Pat. I really appreciate it. Love your avatar, too.
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 23 Apr 13, 15:50
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwschel View Post
Like Hugh, I'm really excited about the Journal of the American Revolution, and proud to be a contributer. Thanks to Hugh, who was in from the beginning and writes great pieces for it.

Let me add that I really am open to taking any questions as "Mr. History!"

And the Journal editors are always open to articles from readers, so if you have an idea for an article, send it in! There's a ton of knowledge and talent on this Forum that would make valuable contributions to the Journal.

Thanks to all who have read the Journal so far!

Mike
I feel very honored that "Mr. History" will be responding to my interest in Peter Francisco. I'm told that it will appear in the Journal sometime next month. I would like to again thank those who contribute to the Journal while also finding time to participate and enlighten us in our humble forum, we are very lucky to count you among our ranks.

Lance
(aka kentucky1777)

Peace through superior firepower.
Sponsored Links

Old 20 Jun 13, 18:41
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Ben Tallmadge is on the path to success [1-99] Ben Tallmadge is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks for telling about this site. I'm an American Revolutionary "junkie" and can never get enough knowledge about that period and war. I have added the site to my daily reads and have forwarded the link to several friends who are impressed with the site as well.

So thanks again to Elijah for the mention and Hugh for the site, work, and dedication.

Benjamin Tallmadge
Culper Spy Ring
Leader-Spy Master
(We still exist to this day)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"...Ye shall know the truth and it shall set you free." ~ John 8:32
Old 20 Jun 13, 18:58
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Thanks for joining us, Ben.
Enjoy the ride!
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 24 Jul 13, 09:24
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Good morning forum members. Jim Piecuch and I did a written debate on Tarleton at the Cowpens for the Journal of the American Revolution this morning. I would like to invite you all to read it. Ban Tarleton has been the subject of threads here on the forum and is quite the interesting subject for debate.

http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/...tarleton-lose/
Old 24 Jul 13, 09:51
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Let me add that this written debate is excellent. Well done, Elijah!
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 24 Jul 13, 10:42
Colonel
UK

History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Enjoyable and interesting debate, In terms of the actual tactical battle I am slightly more inclined to Jim rather than Wayne on certain parts, if not all.

Tarleton may well have been using Camden to replicate those same succesful tactics at Cowpens. Greene would also try them same with Cowpens at Guilford Courthouse. But certains Morgan on the day was the better general of the two men.

Wayne does use Mckenzie as a source,and was himself rebutted by Hanger, Tarletons second in command with his memoirs. So using the views of people either with agendas o

My own view echo's George Picketts when hearing about why the South lost Gettysburg, "I think the Yankees had something to do with it"

Just curious as what the views are of the 2 authors views of Tarletons own view of the battle that he should have used more close order tactics and the lack of which was a major mistake?
Old 24 Jul 13, 16:31
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams View Post
I feel very honored that "Mr. History" will be responding to my interest in Peter Francisco. I'm told that it will appear in the Journal sometime next month. I would like to again thank those who contribute to the Journal while also finding time to participate and enlighten us in our humble forum, we are very lucky to count you among our ranks.

Lance
(aka kentucky1777)
Mike Schellhammer (aka Mr. History) has just written the most in depth article about Francisco that I've seen, highly recommended.

http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/.../#comment-5725

Old 24 Jul 13, 20:13
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by History fan View Post
Enjoyable and interesting debate, In terms of the actual tactical battle I am slightly more inclined to Jim rather than Wayne on certain parts, if not all.

Tarleton may well have been using Camden to replicate those same succesful tactics at Cowpens. Greene would also try them same with Cowpens at Guilford Courthouse. But certains Morgan on the day was the better general of the two men.

Wayne does use Mckenzie as a source,and was himself rebutted by Hanger, Tarletons second in command with his memoirs. So using the views of people either with agendas o

My own view echo's George Picketts when hearing about why the South lost Gettysburg, "I think the Yankees had something to do with it"

Just curious as what the views are of the 2 authors views of Tarletons own view of the battle that he should have used more close order tactics and the lack of which was a major mistake?
Thanks for all the input History Fan! its nice to see some knowledgeable opinions come out. Yes, Hangar had been Tarleton's second in command but it is my understanding that he fell ill in the Fall of 1780 and was not present at Cowpens or later. At Charlotte in September, Tarleton was ill and Hangar led the Legion. Actually, failed to lead them might be a better description. He tried to get the cavalry to charge Davies and the Charlotte militia but the Legion refused. Quite possibly because many of them had only recently been recruited from the ranks of Continental soldiers (and some SC militia) who surrendered at Camden. Lawrence Babits who wrote 'Devil of a Whipping' did a chapter on Jim Piecuch's latest book on 'Cavalry in the American Revolution'. He found a number of men who previously served in the SC militia before Camden. Possibly had been captured at Fishing Creek during Sumter's disaster at Tarleton's hands.

Anyway, Hangar's work didn't make mention in the debate simply because of space restraints. I don't remember his arguments adding much to Tarleton's explanations but maybe I should review it again? what do you see there?
Old 24 Jul 13, 20:16
Banned
United_States

Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200]
I have just discovered this site and have been greatly enjoying reading through it. Fantastic work!

Old 25 Jul 13, 22:36
Brigadier General
United_States

TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100] TJAdams has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I may just now be seeing this thread, but thanks for the link.
Old 02 Aug 13, 21:09
United_States

Hugh has an interesting article in the journal about musket (in)accuracy.

http://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/...cy-of-muskets/

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!