StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Weapons of War

Notices and Announcements

Weapons of War The machinery of warfare. .

Old 20 May 09, 12:30
Second Lieutenant
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99]
Isn't that the backwards Self Propelled Anti-Tank Gun known as the Archer?
Old 20 May 09, 12:55
Captain
Denmark

AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefffar View Post
Isn't that the backwards Self Propelled Anti-Tank Gun known as the Archer?
It certainly is! Quite interesting design. Good job

This particular Archer tank destroyer was used by the Egyptian Army in the defence of Abu-Ageila during the Suez Crisis (1956). It is now housed in the Yad la-Shiryon Museum in Israel.
Old 20 May 09, 12:59
Captain
Denmark

AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99] AEP is on the path to success [1-99]
I have been looking forward to posting this one

I have identified four different vehicles here, so see if you can name all of them (for those of you with sharp eyes, you might even be able to find more).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg name that tank.JPG (113.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 20 May 09, 13:44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99] Jefffar is on the path to success [1-99]
I believe we have a collection of Pre-WWII American Tanks (or perhaps Combat Cars depending on which branch of the army they are in).
Old 20 May 09, 14:04
Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200]
A higher-res picture would be helpful, as differences in the types of combat cars and light tanks are subtle or even invisible at this angle. The front row is comprised of medium tanks M2 and M2A1. The remainder is filled out with light tanks M2A2 or M2A3 and combat cars.

Edit: Only 18 medium tanks M2 were built, so depending on what vehicles are out of frame, we can see at least 17% of that vehicle's total production run in this image.
Sponsored Links

Old 20 May 09, 19:25
Captain
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogDodger View Post
A higher-res picture would be helpful, as differences in the types of combat cars and light tanks are subtle or even invisible at this angle. The front row is comprised of medium tanks M2 and M2A1. The remainder is filled out with light tanks M2A2 or M2A3 and combat cars.

Edit: Only 18 medium tanks M2 were built, so depending on what vehicles are out of frame, we can see at least 17% of that vehicle's total production run in this image.
You just about cleaned up

The M2 light tank is quite easy to identify, though at this scale it's difficult to see whether it's an A2 or A3 variant. Also, the M2 medium tank is conspicuously lined up in the first row. And then there's a whole horde of the so-called M1 combat cars further back.

However, I reckon there's one more vehicle tucked away in there. If you go to the 4th and 5th columns from the right and count 5 vehicles and 5 and 6 vehicles down, respectively, I think you'll find what to me looks like an M2A4 light tank. Let me know what you think.
And there appears to be another one in the 4th column from the left and 5 vehicles down. It could of course be an M2A1, but the main armament looks too big to be a mere MG. A 37mm gun seems more likely to me. Also, a mere 19 M2A1s were build versus 375 M2A4s...
Assuming that it is indeed an M2A4, which was accepted into service in May 1940, we should actually most likely refer to the M1 combat cars as M1A2 light tanks, as they became known shortly after the US Armored Force was created on 15 Jul 1940 under General Adna R. Chaffee, Jr. The photo could therefore be of the Fort Knox or Fort Benning brigades which formed the nucleus for the first two armored divisions.

Last edited by AEP; 20 May 09 at 19:55..
Old 20 May 09, 20:57
Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
No picture for the tank in my possession

BUT,

Can anyone name the LAST Russian built Main Battle Tank that had a "Bow-mounted" MG that was fired by the "Driver"?

This should be rather easy for all you "Experts"....
Old 20 May 09, 22:15
Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200] DogDodger is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEP View Post
You just about cleaned up

The M2 light tank is quite easy to identify, though at this scale it's difficult to see whether it's an A2 or A3 variant. Also, the M2 medium tank is conspicuously lined up in the first row. And then there's a whole horde of the so-called M1 combat cars further back.

However, I reckon there's one more vehicle tucked away in there. If you go to the 4th and 5th columns from the right and count 5 vehicles and 5 and 6 vehicles down, respectively, I think you'll find what to me looks like an M2A4 light tank. Let me know what you think.
And there appears to be another one in the 4th column from the left and 5 vehicles down. It could of course be an M2A1, but the main armament looks too big to be a mere MG. A 37mm gun seems more likely to me. Also, a mere 19 M2A1s were build versus 375 M2A4s...
Assuming that it is indeed an M2A4, which was accepted into service in May 1940, we should actually most likely refer to the M1 combat cars as M1A2 light tanks, as they became known shortly after the US Armored Force was created on 15 Jul 1940 under General Adna R. Chaffee, Jr. The photo could therefore be of the Fort Knox or Fort Benning brigades which formed the nucleus for the first two armored divisions.
There could be some M2A4s back there, but I honestly can't tell. Like you say, discerning M2A2 from M2A3 is also tough in that photo, and also differentiating between combat car M1 and M1A1 (or even combat car M2) since we can't see the rears of the vehicles. Very neat picture, though.

Kevin--T-55.
Old 21 May 09, 02:15
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
BUT,

Can anyone name the LAST Russian built Main Battle Tank that had a "Bow-mounted" MG that was fired by the "Driver"?

I would think that it was the T34-85, since is was still in production well after WW2 ended.
Old 21 May 09, 06:30
General
Pirate

the_redstar_swl has disabled reputation
The T-54.
Old 21 May 09, 11:15
Captain
Denmark

Quote:
BUT,

The last Russian tank to incorporate a hull mounted machine was the T-55.

During the second half of the 1950's, the USSR began investigating the survivability of its armoured forces while enduring a nuclear attack. The research platform for this was named Obiekt 155 and incorporated a new first generation nuclear protective suite simply called PAZ. It came with an improved V55 engine and 155.08sb8 transmission which increased maximum speed to 50 kph. Also, fuel capacity was increased to 960 liters and main armament ammo to 43 rounds. Obiekt 155 was finally taken into service in May 1958 as the T-55 and inherited the hull machine gun from the T-54B.
However, the PAZ system only protected against the pressure wave from a nuclear blast and was ineffective against the intense radiation. Hence, a lead impregnated plastic lining, so-called POV, was incorporated into Obiekt 155A in 1961. The addition of the lining in the already cramped conditions inside the tank contributed to the hull machine gun being removed (this made room for another 6 rounds of main armament ammo). Eventually, these modifications were accepted into service as the T-55A and production started in Aug 1963.

So, as far as I know, the last Russian tank with a hull machine gun ceased production presumably some time in early 1963. However, the T-55 variant was also produced in Poland 19581964, and in Czechoslovakia from 1958 to 1983. Though, I do not know when the Poles and Czechs removed the hull machine gun from their production vehicles.
Old 21 May 09, 23:15
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEP View Post
I have been looking forward to posting this one

I have identified four different vehicles here, so see if you can name all of them (for those of you with sharp eyes, you might even be able to find more).

Hot Damn, that's a great pic., sorrry I was too late to have something to say about it. I would love to see more like that one.
Old 21 May 09, 23:39
Colonel
United_States

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
A winner here

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_redstar_swl View Post
The T-54.
The T54 was the last Russian MBT to have the bow mounted MG that the driver controlled.

T55 did not. The Russians felt the driver had more important things to do.
Old 22 May 09, 05:37
Captain
Denmark

Quote:
The T54 was the last Russian MBT to have the bow mounted MG that the driver controlled.

T55 did not. The Russians felt the driver had more important things to do.
Doh, in my research I forgot about the MG having to be on the driver's side
Old 22 May 09, 05:38
Captain
Denmark

Don't judge a book by its cover...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg name that tank.JPG (23.4 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!