StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 18 Mar 17, 16:25
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
New Book on Waterloo

Waterloo: The Campaign of 1815: Volume I: From Elba to Ligny and Quatre Bras by John Hussey is available for order on the Napoleon Series with a discount.

The author wrote some excellent articles on Waterloo in First Empire Magazine some time ago and the level of research and scholarship was exceedingly high.

I have not read this book yet as it isn't published. I ordered it and it could prove to be a definitive volume on the campaign.
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Mar 17, 08:25
Colonel
UK

History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Another book on Waterloo
Old 19 Mar 17, 11:59
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by History fan View Post
Another book on Waterloo
I've ordered it. But then again, what I do these days is read only the salient parts or the 'new bits'. You can only read what the likes of Kincaid, Morris and Mercer said so many times, the rain will still fall in sheets and the gate will always be closed etc.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 19 Mar 17, 12:43
Colonel
UK

History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100] History fan has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
I've ordered it. But then again, what I do these days is read only the salient parts or the 'new bits'. You can only read what the likes of Kincaid, Morris and Mercer said so many times, the rain will still fall in sheets and the gate will always be closed etc.

Paul
That's the thing. There are hundreds of books on Waterloo and there really isn't anything new that hasn't already been said.

Myself I'm starting on Wellingtons Eastern Front by Nick Liscombe. A part of the Peninsular war that has often been ignored even though without it, Wellington could not have launched and succeeded in the Vittoria campaign.
Old 19 Mar 17, 13:07
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
That's the thing. There are hundreds of books on Waterloo and there really isn't anything new that hasn't already been said.

Myself I'm starting on Wellingtons Eastern Front by Nick Liscombe. A part of the Peninsular war that has often been ignored even though without it, Wellington could not have launched and succeeded in the Vittoria campaign.
The Peninsula is another area of interest that I now only read of if there is something new and/or which grabs my curiosity

I've just read; Destructive and Formidable: British Infantry Firepower 1642 - 1765. by David John Blackmore and I can assure you that it is an excellent book that tells of the evolution of British battalion firepower and how it was used. Good to read again in the pages of 'Hat Companies' I've been away from the era too long.

Paul
Old 19 Mar 17, 14:01
Colonel
UK

Smile

Quote:
The Peninsula is another area of interest that I now only read of if there is something new and/or which grabs my curiosity

I've just read; Destructive and Formidable: British Infantry Firepower 1642 - 1765. by David John Blackmore and I can assure you that it is an excellent book that tells of the evolution of British battalion firepower and how it was used. Good to read again in the pages of 'Hat Companies' I've been away from the era too long.

Paul
I have books to go through first but I shall give that book ago cheers

Have you tried When Britain burned the White House by Peter Snow that's a great book.

Iv ordered the new Biography (but not read it) on Robert Ross as well and that seems to be highly rated in the Napoeonic series forum.
Old 19 Mar 17, 21:54
Private
United_States

Old dog is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks all !
I just finished reading "The Spanish Ulcer: A History of the Peninsular War" by David Gates and recommend it.
W.W. Norton & Company 1986
Old 20 Mar 17, 01:50
General of the Forums
England

Quote:
I have books to go through first but I shall give that book ago cheers

Have you tried When Britain burned the White House by Peter Snow that's a great book.

I've ordered the new Biography (but not read it) on Robert Ross as well and that seems to be highly rated in the Napoeonic series forum.
I haven't read any books by Peter Snow. His TV series with his son, his well known face as a BBC news presenter and Journalist makes me wary for some reason.

Anyway, I have lots of books to get through and many on order, so to even think about ordering another title, whatever regard it is held in, will not be under consideration for some time to come.

Paul
Old 20 Mar 17, 10:34
Colonel
UK

Smile

Quote:
I haven't read any books by Peter Snow. His TV series with his son, his well known face as a BBC news presenter and Journalist makes me wary for some reason.

Anyway, I have lots of books to get through and many on order, so to even think about ordering another title, whatever regard it is held in, will not be under consideration for some time to come.

Paul
I can appreciate that Paul however you will not be disappointed on that book. He gets it right.

Lol I am in the exact same boat

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!