StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 30 Jul 16, 04:18
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
In memory of Michael Brown aka Post Captain

An eternal memorial dedicated to our friend and colleague Michael Brown aka Post Captain.

As Napoleonic history buff - with expertise in Napoleonic Naval affairs and the life and death of Horatio Nelson, I'm convinced that it is here that his memorial belongs.

Please add Mickey's his favorite posts, threads and contributions to this thread...after that we will sticky and close it.

Thanks all!

Stratego aka Jason St.Just
Attached Images
File Type: jpg In memory of Mickey copy.jpg (223.5 KB, 41 views)

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 30 Jul 16, 04:33
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Netherlands
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Moving tribute Jason

You may wish to open a thread in Mickey's honour in the Hall Of Remembrance.
I think it would be fitting if you do it.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...play.php?f=394

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 30 Jul 16, 07:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The ancient Greeks believed that if one is remembered, they don't really die.

That being the case, Mick will always be with us here.

Go with God, Mick. And may you be in heaven three days before the devil knows you're dead.

Rest In Peace.
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 30 Jul 16, 10:01
General of the Forums
England
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up

And athwart the seas
Hath past the light of noble deeds
Unquenchable forever.
Old 30 Jul 16, 10:02
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
The ancient Greeks believed that if one is remembered, they don't really die.

That being the case, Mick will always be with us here.

Go with God, Mick. And may you be in heaven three days before the devil knows you're dead.

Rest In Peace.
I was unaware that the greeks believed that to remember someone kept them alive. I like to say that to Remember someone is to honor them. I believe in this case both are appropriate........
Old 30 Jul 16, 10:56
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
RIP Mickey

Homer

BoRG
Old 30 Jul 16, 21:42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain General View Post
RIP Mickey
A great loss for us. I wish his family... andh im well as he journeys onward to better and greater things.
Old 30 Jul 16, 23:16
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RIP

"Go Easy Bro!"

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 01 Aug 16, 01:22
Staff Sergeant
France
5 Year Service Ribbon 

sabrivo1965 is on the path to success [1-99]
"Vers la gloire" can say Detaille.
Another Bro leave us.
Sabrivo1965
Old 01 Aug 16, 12:35
Private
Belgium

1794arcole is on the path to success [1-99]
"Grande ombre de Napoléon!
C'est à toi de graver son nom
Sur les piliers du nouveau pont d'Arcole."

Jean François Casimir Delavigne - 1833

Sponsored Links

Old 01 Aug 16, 14:54
Brigadier General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
Old 01 Aug 16, 16:07
General
Wales
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800]
Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800]
You join a forum with hundreds/thousands of members from all over the world. Some you hit it off with, some you don't. Some wind you up big time, others you respect, tolerate, ignore ... and then there are those you just instinctively like.

I always liked Post Captain. I always felt a bit of affinity with 'Mickey' as we knew him, and that is why, over the past days, from when we first heard the news of his premature passing, my thoughts have returned to him again and again.

Not just because we lived very close to each other - just a few miles apart along the same coastline. I live in a pleasant enough seaside town, but he lived in one of the places I love best on earth - Portsmouth - (well not Portsmouth as such, but specifically Portsmouth Naval Dockyard) - home not just to Nelson's Victory but to one of the finest exhibitions on earth - the Mary Rose. I love that place - the geography of it, the history of it - and just because of what it is and where it is.

But aside from the fact that he was a local, I liked Mickey for other reasons. His areas of interest, his understated tone, his quiet 'rep' where he would give me a bit of encouragement or a pat on the back even when probably, I'd come across on the forum as a right stroppy cow.

And last but not least, his very British humour. Mickey, although he wasn't an obvious joker, could make me laugh out loud sometimes and I realised very early on with him, that a fair few of those reading, wouldn't get the wit, the irony and the 'funny' about what he had written.

To my eternal regret I once went after Post Captain for a mistaken slight.

A poster had been turning up on various threads I was on and making (what I perceived as) digs and criticisms. I got the screen names muddled up and thought it was Post Captain. So when he turned up on another thread and (gently and politely) pulled me up on some errors I'd made, I responded like a harriden!

But he never responded back. He never scolded me, or had a go, or used his 'mod' powers. He realised immediately it was a case of mistaken identity on my part, ignored what I'd written, moved on and continued to encourage me when I posted subsequently.

None of us know who we are interracting with on the internet. You don't 'know' anyone. You don't know what they look like, how they laugh, how they walk and so on ... but you do get a 'sense' of them through their words, their modus operandi and their consistency.

With Mickey ... that sense for me, was always, that he was one of the good guys.

Tuck
x

Last edited by Tuck's Luck; 01 Aug 16 at 16:57..
Old 03 Aug 16, 12:23
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
A fitting epitaph, I think:

'At the grave of the hero we end, not with sorrow at the inevitable loss, but with the contagion of his courage; and with a kind of desperate joy we return back to the fight.'-Oliver Wendell Holmes.
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 03 Aug 16, 13:53
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
to you, Mickey.
Old 22 Aug 16, 19:24
Private
Russia

Caulaincourt is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
to you, Mickey.

Uzal today...
Military valor... and memory...

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!