StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 23 Nov 06, 00:16
Staff Sergeant
United_States

larizona is on the path to success [1-99]
Great Napoleonic Books

If you are looking for more "nuts and bolts" type information on the Napoleonic wars, just about anything written by George Nafziger is great. Organization, tactics, field evolutions, detailed maps, and TOEs are the things he is great for. If you are doing any kind of wargaming in the period, Nafziger is great stuff!

He has a "just the facts" writing style that does not make his stuff easy to read, but there is no substitute for the detail he provides. He is also a linguist and does many of his own translations...so his works have a broad base of sources.

You can find his books on ebay, but they are rare, coveted, and expensive. But he self-publishes, and the best way to get many of his titles are directly from him...often cheaper than the going ebay rate. Check out his Napoleonic books at: http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/NAFNAP.HTM

Some of his titles I highly recommend are:

Napoleon in Russia; detailed, battle by battle account. Covers the smaller actions and skirmishes in great detail. These are often given just a blush treatment in other books on the subject. He does not sell this one on his site, but it comes up on ebay regularly for around $15 / a great bargin.

Imperial Bayonets: This book is rare, and unfortunately he does not self-publish this one. Basically a review of drill and tactics from each of the major armies own drill manuals. Has a great deal of technical detail like movement rates, time to change formation etc.

Napoleon at Leipzig: The most detailed treatment of the campaign I have seen anywhere.

If you are interested in WWII, George Nafziger also has many great titles there as well. The best known and popular on ebay is his Geman Order of Battle series.

Join the Army and see the Navy
sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933
Old 23 Nov 06, 15:05
General of the Forums
Portuguese_Monarchy
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600] Cap. Teancum is simply cracking [600]
Thanks for sharing this information.
It's great to have you around posting in here. Feal free to join any ongoiing discussions in the Napoleonic Era.

Old 24 Apr 07, 10:11
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have read two great books titled the waterloo campaign and the trafalgar campaign both by mark adkin, and i am constantly dipping in and reading different sections, a throughly enjoyable read.
Old 22 May 07, 20:00
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900]
Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900]
I'm currently reading "Napoleon & Wellington" by Andrew Roberts and I'm finding it very "readable"
Old 30 Aug 07, 11:37
Recruit
Italy

Napoleonico is on the path to success [1-99]
If you're interested in naval warfare I recommend the Caxton Pictorial Histories series: they cover the entire period from the outbreak of the hostility in 1793 to the end of the war in 1815, theyíre rich of remarkable details and are full of splendid illustrations.
Actually Iíve got only 3 books of them(out of 5), but Iíll soon complete my collection.
Old 11 Sep 07, 22:50
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 

Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100] Airchallenged has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Ultimate Napoleonic Link

I found this pretty amazing link while while looking for a guide for Polish Armies during the time of the Rev War for a war game.

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/index.html

It includes almost anything you need to know about Napoleonic Armies, Battles and Tactics and regularly cycles in new articles and old ones out.

Matt
Afterthought: Well it looks like Nico beat me too it a while back, 2 years ago actually. his link goes to an older url of the address (some home page set up) and when you enter it jumps to the url I provided.

Last edited by Airchallenged; 11 Sep 07 at 22:59..
Old 26 Sep 07, 05:21
Corporal
Austria
SPQR Campaign 

von Panzerfaust is on the path to success [1-99] von Panzerfaust is on the path to success [1-99] von Panzerfaust is on the path to success [1-99]
Q: is Mark Adkins: Waterloo Companion worth its steep price?
Old 28 Sep 07, 05:23
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Panzerfaust View Post
Q: is Mark Adkins: Waterloo Companion worth its steep price?
I think so, i have had the book for years and still find it a damned good read, i got mine through a book club for half the price.

Admiral Lord Nelson
Old 16 Nov 07, 14:46
Banned
United_States

Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
http://news.webshots.com/album/553165377SykfrD?start=0

http://www.cartoonstock.com/vintage/.../h/hussars.asp

http://www.hussards-photos.com/UK_home.htm
Old 08 Dec 07, 00:56
Banned
United_States

Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700] Centrix Vigilis is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Mirage Napoleon’s Scientists and the Unveiling of Egypt. By Nina Burleigh.

Going to get this one i think...anybody read it? BTW see the review in the thread on the Emperor in the news.

b.
CV

Last edited by Centrix Vigilis; 08 Dec 07 at 00:59..
Sponsored Links

Old 20 Jan 08, 22:34
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Zaraath is on the path to success [1-99] Zaraath is on the path to success [1-99] Zaraath is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gepard View Post
Once you finish Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon, something a bit shorter
and very readable would be Gunther Rothenberg's Art of Warfare in the Age of Napoleon.
The Cassel's History of Warfare series is very good. I have
the Rothenburg book, the Renaissance Warfare one, John Childs' Warfare in the Seventeenth Century (excellent!) and Jeremy Black's Eighteenth Century volume (he's great as always, but this one emphasized warfare outside of Europe too much for my personal interests).

I've only read the latter two.
Old 20 Jan 08, 22:39
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Zaraath is on the path to success [1-99] Zaraath is on the path to success [1-99] Zaraath is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambronnne View Post
How "readable" is the book?
My point is that I have Petre's book on the 1813 campaign, which was written in the early 1900s, and just never got into the flow of the book.
I have that problem with The Anatomy of Glory, it doesn't translate well.
Old 01 Feb 08, 13:08
England

New book about Napoleon's death

HINDMARSH J. Thomas, CORSO Philip F. , The Death of Napoleon: the last campaign

Napoleon Bonaparte died on May 5th, 1821 on the island of St Helena from complications of stomach cancer proven by autopsy. However, when analyses of trace elements on single strands of hair became available in the 1960s, it was found that some samples of his hair contained increased levels of arsenic which lead to claims that he had been deliberately poisoned. This book written by an expert toxiciologist and a surgeon/Napoleon scholar examines the proof for the diagnosis of stomach cancer. Also it reviews the evidence for arsenic poisoning and denounces this as a myth, based upon the absence of all the specific features and many of the cardinal non-specific features of arsenic poisoning, thus confirming that the Emperor died from stomach cancer.

About the authors:
Dr J Thomas Hindmarsh has an MD from the University of Sheffield, England and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists of Britain and of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. He recently retired as Professor of Pathology and Medical Biochemistry at the University of Ottawa. Dr Hindmarsh is an international authority on arsenic toxicology, has published many papers and several book chapters on the topic, has consulted for the US EPA and other government agencies, and is a member of a UNESCO expert panel. In 1994 he was invited by the Napoleonic Society of America to help resolve the controversy about whether Napoleon was poisoned with arsenic and this book is the consequence of his research.

Dr. Philip F Corso recently retired as Chief of Plastic Surgery at The Norwalk Hospital, Norwalk, Connecticut. He graduated cum laude from Yale University and Tufts University School of Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and an Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery at Yale University. He has pursued a lifelong interest in the history of Napoleon and has authored several papers on the Emperor and the Empress Josephine. He has an extensive collection of Napoleon memorabilia and is a long-standing member of the Napoleonic Society of America.
Place and publisher :http://www2.xlibris.com/

Admiral Lord Nelson
Old 02 Feb 08, 11:32
Banned
United_States

http://www.wtj.com/wars/napoleonic/
Old 11 Feb 08, 18:17
Corporal
Canada

lorne19 is on the path to success [1-99]
-Mark urban rifles
-Micheal Glover wellington as millitary commander
-J Christopher Herold Age of Napoleon
-Andrew Roberts Waterloo the battle for modern Europe
The best on the subject of read so far.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!