StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 20 Oct 11, 15:29
Private First Class
Australia

King Billy is on the path to success [1-99]
Much appreciated!!

I have sent you a personal message with my email.

Thanks again.

Bill
Old 06 Dec 11, 16:29
Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Percy Coburg has demonstrated strength of character [100] Percy Coburg has demonstrated strength of character [100] Percy Coburg has demonstrated strength of character [100] Percy Coburg has demonstrated strength of character [100] Percy Coburg has demonstrated strength of character [100] Percy Coburg has demonstrated strength of character [100] Percy Coburg has demonstrated strength of character [100] Percy Coburg has demonstrated strength of character [100] Percy Coburg has demonstrated strength of character [100]
If anyone is in possession of this game, hang onto it. It will be worth a pretty penny someday.

Napoleon in Europe by Eagle Games

Old 07 Dec 11, 14:43
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Coburg View Post
If anyone is in possession of this game, hang onto it. It will be worth a pretty penny someday.

I've played this one before. Why do you think it will be a collectors item someday?

What I like about Napoleon in Europe is that it provides large numbers of playing pieces to mark infantry, cavalry and artillery. I will admit the game is very well made, the 1/72 scale figures are exceptionally detailed.

Anyone considering buying these figures will be happy to know that it is not necessary to buy the whole game to get them. In a shrewd marketing move, Eagle also sell individual sprues (containing 39 pieces) of these miniatures. They are available in all eight of the colors found in the game, plus white. The horses are marketed separately, in boxes of 72.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

"The Frost is strong in that Snowflake" ~ Reimnitz

Old 12 Dec 11, 05:39
Private First Class
Netherlands

Dreamworker is on the path to success [1-99]
didn't see this one: Napoleonic Battles by Avalon Hill, my favorite. Its was more of a ruleset for miniature gaming though. Allows you to recreate all the battles during 1792-1815, like Valmy, Waterloo, Borodino, Leipzig etc.

Had 2 extra modules for even more battles. also, they provided extra rules to combine this game with Empires in Arms.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5...oleons-battles
Old 16 Dec 11, 21:11
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Persephone has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamworker View Post
didn't see this one: Napoleonic Battles by Avalon Hill, my favorite. Its was more of a ruleset for miniature gaming though. Allows you to recreate all the battles during 1792-1815, like Valmy, Waterloo, Borodino, Leipzig etc.

Had 2 extra modules for even more battles. also, they provided extra rules to combine this game with Empires in Arms.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5...oleons-battles
This is a good game if you don't mind taking the time to paint the game pieces. We eventually ended up using the game pieces from our Risk boardgame.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

"The Frost is strong in that Snowflake" ~ Reimnitz

Sponsored Links

Old 20 Dec 11, 14:52
General of the Forums
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Coburg View Post

I have this game and although it is amazingly beautiful, the game itself is not that playable IMO. It's good to play but it is rather difficult. I've only played it once or twice.

I give it a 7/10
The artwork and the pieces are certainly worth a 9,5/10!

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 20 Dec 11, 18:23
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Purist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El.Cid View Post
Not a problem. For Empires, I supply the all that is needed, and I will use cyberboard or another generated map and counters.
I own the computer game for Empire in Arms. Was considering running a full 1805-1815 campaign game similar to the War in Europe ones already completed or in progress.

Idea would be to have teams (if enough palyers). The monthly turns would be posted, orders executed and results shown. have to download all the updates and relearn the system but could run a game after the Barbarossa WWII game is completed.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.
Old 18 Jan 12, 16:31
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100] TomDeFranco has demonstrated strength of character [100]
To my surprise no one had mentioned the La Bataille tactical level (battalion) series from Clash Of Arms. I must admit that I think they are way over the top biased in favor of the French and that the rules are a little overwrought, but they are beautifully rendered as to the maps and counter art.

Ed Wimble (chief at CoA) knows the period very well, but sometimes cannot help himself in terms of favoring the French.

The company also did a brigade level game on Leipzig and an operational level game on the Six Days Of Glory.

Also, MMP (initially the Gamers) had a series (now seemingly in a state of flux) at the brigade and regimental level driven on the CWB written orders mechanic. The games in the series include Austerlitz, Marengo, Aspern-Essling and Talavera.

Finally, GMT had a couple of games based on their ACW Glory system. One had four battles included in one box and another had Borodino.
Old 27 Feb 12, 09:11
Sergeant Major
Denmark

El.Cid is on the path to success [1-99] El.Cid is on the path to success [1-99]
Great or Worst is completely subjective.

Well, I saw that someone posted in their opinion what they considered a "great" game. This is not a universally shared opinion though. My friends and I played this game over and over back in the 80's. The tactical chits I think was a nice touch, but it also had huge holes. Namely the naval rules seemed more like suggestions and vague at best. The system is flawed also in that France can stack a huge pile of strength points at Paris that can not be forced to retreat and therefore it will last forever. Maybe in a later addition this was changed, but considering that, I found the only use of the game was the counters are good for Empires-in-Arms.
Old 27 Feb 12, 09:39
Sergeant Major
Denmark

Hey Purist,
Teams are not really necessary for Empires in Arms. It is really just a one person per nation game. If you want to do a "team" type napoleonic, "Campaigns of Napoleon" would be a better candidate. It is only a 4 or 5 player game, but the scale is much smaller. I think it is a regiment/brigade/division level. Nice maps of Central Europe. Been a while since I have seen it.
Old 27 Feb 12, 09:51
Sergeant Major
Denmark

Modern gaming

My biggest problem with Empires is that it is not really a Napoleonic game as the victory conditions could be any time period. I have adapted an alternative set of victory conditions to better represent the time period. At least how I think it is. Play testing it on the side without question.
The game system is pretty good and does not get to bogged down in details. I think the biggest problem is that many players have become rules lawyers and just look for an argument if they dont get their way. "The rules dont say you can do this, or the rules dont say this is legal". Seems common sense is something that no longer exists. This is probably why face-to-face gaming has gone downhill so much. who wants to spend hours and hours at a game just to have someone start agruing a minor point in the rules so they can avoid their poor generalship. We had a guy like that in our club a very long time ago. When the situation was turning bad, he suddenly new every little rule and no doubt he did know the rules. The problem is that people forget the spirit of the game and instead turn to rules or use rules to get their way. It is just a game!
Old 27 Feb 12, 10:00
Sergeant Major
Denmark

Stratego, so what level of game do you like to play? Personally, without a little more complications, you do not really get the feel of a napoleonic campaign. If you are a WWII type, you will still need rules that add in a certain level of detail to make the experience more representative of the period. Otherwise you are stuck with brain numb games like risk, stratego, battleship, or even advanced risk (axis and allies type games). Fancy plastic toy soldiers.
Old 27 Feb 12, 12:22
Recruit
Armchair_General

Ratergam is a balanced individual [0]
very interesting

will seek for discussion very interesting!@
Old 27 Feb 12, 12:39
General of the Forums
EU
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El.Cid View Post
Stratego, so what level of game do you like to play? Personally, without a little more complications, you do not really get the feel of a napoleonic campaign. If you are a WWII type, you will still need rules that add in a certain level of detail to make the experience more representative of the period. Otherwise you are stuck with brain numb games like risk, stratego, battleship, or even advanced risk (axis and allies type games). Fancy plastic toy soldiers.
As a gamedesigner myself, I feel that the 'art' is to make games more logical instead of complex. I personally despise games where they offer alot of 'reality' at a cost of alot of 'complexity'. This is the reason why I'm not a wargamer. It is not worth it. I like to read the rulebook once and then get on with the game. Not read it sixteen times before being able to play it from start to finish for the first time. Usually that 'in between' reality vs complexity is the right way to go IMO.
Earlier someone mentioned that chess was a no-brainer game, but this I don't understand: chess IMO is a game where alot of brainwork is needed - and I enjoy playing it. I like playing Stratego (I made mine more interesting!) especially with my sons. RISK is just plain awful . It prompted me to create my own game 'Victory & Defeat' back in 1997.

I assume you are a 'die hard' wargamer El Cid?
Give me some suggestions on some good wargames...I'm still looking for a good one with a good balance between complexity-reality.

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG
Old 27 Feb 12, 17:35
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratego View Post
As a gamedesigner myself, I feel that the 'art' is to make games more logical instead of complex. I personally despise games where they offer alot of 'reality' at a cost of alot of 'complexity'. This is the reason why I'm not a wargamer. It is not worth it. I like to read the rulebook once and then get on with the game. Not read it sixteen times before being able to play it from start to finish for the first time. Usually that 'in between' reality vs complexity is the right way to go IMO.
Earlier someone mentioned that chess was a no-brainer game, but this I don't understand: chess IMO is a game where alot of brainwork is needed - and I enjoy playing it. I like playing Stratego (I made mine more interesting!) especially with my sons. RISK is just plain awful . It prompted me to create my own game 'Victory & Defeat' back in 1997.

I assume you are a 'die hard' wargamer El Cid?
Give me some suggestions on some good wargames...I'm still looking for a good one with a good balance between complexity-reality.

Greets,
Stratego
On a similar vein; my experience.

From an E-mail I had sent to a friend

Quote:
I know what It's like to struggle for such information (uniform and organisation info) because as a lad in my teens to mid twenties I used to wargame in a big way with most of my hard earned cash going on first Airfix, then Hinchliffe and Minifigs wargames white metal figures which would leave me with hardly any money to buy good uniform references. Most of the info I gleaned was from the cheapest (though very good) source eg: Blandford, almark, Men-at-Arms etc, and monthly Magazines such as Military Modelling, Airfix and Tradition. I always wanted better books but by the standards of the day, (1970s and 80s) were bloody expensive, so I would plough most of my spare money into my hobby, either on figures or materials.

One day I woke up and focused on a book on my bookshelf, it was 'Napoleonic Wargaming' by Bruce Quarie, a set of rules that I had had from my first days of starting wargaming. I had never used those rules as I had found them too complicated and would most likely bog one down in too much detail (I used my own solo and club rules). I lay there thinking that that book was exactly how my hobby had become, I had over five and a half thousand figures (about three thousand were my first armies of Airfix Napoleonic figures), more white metal battalions on the painting production line, and a stack of card building kits to make. After a good 11 years I realised that my passion for wargaming had literally died overnight and to this day I have no interest in it, in fact I can't stand wargaming any more.
Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!