StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 13 Oct 11, 04:36
Sergeant Major
Denmark

El.Cid is on the path to success [1-99] El.Cid is on the path to success [1-99]
Sounds interesting, a nice discussion.
A great game is when you never get tired of playing it over and over.
Because the system can not be broken. It gives the players a good impression of what warfare at the level of the game was like. For Grand Strategy: Empires in Arms is still the best.
Grand Tactical: Wellington's Victory.
Operational: 1809, napoleon's last Battles, The Emperor Returns. The system in these games is the best.
Old 13 Oct 11, 04:41
Sergeant Major
Denmark

As to which games are the best, which games are the worst and why.
War and Peace is the worst. Totally unrealistic. The naval rules were terrible, and the system can be broken. Meaning that if you use the standard rules, the French can not lose. How you ask? There is no stacking limit in Paris. So the French do nothing but stack all their strength points in Paris. They can not be knocked out of Paris and at the end of the game, if the French hold Paris, they win. Production was solely based on holding your capital. Bad game!
Old 13 Oct 11, 04:43
Sergeant Major
Denmark

I feel bad for you Stratego, movement and actions are too complex! That is the point of wargames! Otherwise just play checkers or risk. No thought involved.
Old 13 Oct 11, 10:53
Sergeant Major
Denmark

Anyone interested in a good old PBEM of Empires in Arms?
Old 14 Oct 11, 05:40
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99] american1975 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El.Cid View Post
As to which games are the best, which games are the worst and why.
War and Peace is the worst. Totally unrealistic. The naval rules were terrible, and the system can be broken. Meaning that if you use the standard rules, the French can not lose. How you ask? There is no stacking limit in Paris. So the French do nothing but stack all their strength points in Paris. They can not be knocked out of Paris and at the end of the game, if the French hold Paris, they win. Production was solely based on holding your capital. Bad game!
Your forgetting that attrition decimates stackings beyond 5- you can try that cheat- and leave the French capitol a corpse strewn capitol of starving troops...
Old 14 Oct 11, 07:52
Sergeant Major
Denmark

Not at all. But the attrition rate is not as high as the replace rate, and replacements can always be placed in the home capital. Therefore, you do not lose.
Old 14 Oct 11, 08:04
Sergeant Major
Denmark

It has been over 20 years since I last played that dog of a game. Our gaming group back then was very sharp. We played it many many times before finally figuring out how it sucked.
Old 14 Oct 11, 08:07
Sergeant Major
Denmark

That was the only multi-player Napoleonic game available.
We were a core group of 5, so we played just about all the multi-player wargames of the times.
Old 14 Oct 11, 10:46
Sergeant Major
Denmark

anyone played, la grande Armee?
Old 14 Oct 11, 10:48
Sergeant Major
Denmark

does anyone have photos of the maps for the new games using the Napoleon's Last Battles system. Is this the system used in the old SPI game of the same name?
Sponsored Links

Old 14 Oct 11, 11:19
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El.Cid View Post
Anyone interested in a good old PBEM of Empires in Arms?
I would be interested if I owned it.

Btw... Welcome aboard, El Cid.
Old 17 Oct 11, 04:01
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Found a site selling boardgames. Some i have not heard of.

Napoleonic War Games

Admiral Lord Nelson
Old 17 Oct 11, 04:44
Sergeant Major
Denmark

Not a problem. For Empires, I supply the all that is needed, and I will use cyberboard or another generated map and counters.
Old 20 Oct 11, 05:25
Private First Class
Australia

King Billy is on the path to success [1-99]
This thread got me thinking about those great games I have out in my garage. I went out and grabbed my old copy of Ney V Wellington.

All the game pieces were there, and I set them all up on the map in accordance with the hex number or entry turn printed on the counter, but I remembered that there were some specific rules about skirmishers for both sides, such as the 95th Rifles deployed as skirmishers on the Allies left flank.

They must be in the rules. I open my old (1979) S&T magazine, but no rules! What, where can they be? Drag out my Wellington's Victory game box. All complete, but no B V W rules!

Check the magazine I box I keep my S&T magazines in. No rules! of no!

So, I have to issue an urgent call for assistance. Is there anyone out there with a copy of the N V W rules that they can scan and send me? Particularly the setup rules, it would be really appreciated.

As I have a purchased copy of the original game there would be no issue of copyright infringement, as it would be a replacement item.

Here's hoping someone has been more careful with their thirty year old games than me...

Regards,

Bill
Old 20 Oct 11, 08:23
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Billy View Post
This thread got me thinking about those great games I have out in my garage. I went out and grabbed my old copy of Ney V Wellington.

All the game pieces were there, and I set them all up on the map in accordance with the hex number or entry turn printed on the counter, but I remembered that there were some specific rules about skirmishers for both sides, such as the 95th Rifles deployed as skirmishers on the Allies left flank.

They must be in the rules. I open my old (1979) S&T magazine, but no rules! What, where can they be? Drag out my Wellington's Victory game box. All complete, but no B V W rules!

Check the magazine I box I keep my S&T magazines in. No rules! of no!

So, I have to issue an urgent call for assistance. Is there anyone out there with a copy of the N V W rules that they can scan and send me? Particularly the setup rules, it would be really appreciated.

As I have a purchased copy of the original game there would be no issue of copyright infringement, as it would be a replacement item.

Here's hoping someone has been more careful with their thirty year old games than me...

Regards,

Bill
Will e-mail them to you if you let me have an e-mail address!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!