StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Colonial Era

Notices and Announcements

American Colonial Era 1660-1763 The growth of North American colonies, often with a change in native & national control.

Old 21 Jun 10, 11:02
Recruit
United_States

KyChick is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope&Glory View Post
I find it interesting that not all indians were 100% in agreement to murder. Seems a true friendship was struck between this indian, (Perries Indian) and Englishman (Pace). History may have lost the name of the indian, but not the heartfelt action to warn of impending doom.

i definitely learned some history on this thread. thanks for sharing.
I am currently writing a story about my ancestor, Ricward Pace. This historical story is to be placed in our family book when it is published. Will include a few paragraphs that fit into this thread: Richard and Isabella Pace were "ancient planters" in the Jamestown area. Their plantation was four miles from Jamestown, across the James River.

Richard and Isabella Pace took in a young Indian boy named, “Chanco”, Possibly as a companion for their son, George. While living with the Pace family, he was educated along with his own son, George. He was also schooled in the Christian religion.

Around the evening of March 20, 1622, Chanco’s brother came to the Pace house for a visit. He told Chanco the Indians were planning to attack the white settlers. He had been sent to tell Chanco he was expected to kill the Pace family. Chanco was torn between the loyalty to his Indian ancestors and the love he had for the Pace family. According to legend, Chanco knew well the teachings of the Christian religion taught him murder was a sin. With a heavy heart, he alerted the Pace family of the impending Indian attack. After securing his home and seeing his family was in a safe place, he set out to warn the citizens of Jamestown. In the dead of night, he crept down to the James River and paddled his canoe three miles to the Jamestown side. He ran to the sleeping town to sound the alarm. The colonists quickly prepared for the Indian raid.

Sadly, the news of the Indian attack did not reach the outlying settlements. This included the Isle of Wight and it’s 31 plantations. These settlements were essentially outposts of Jamestown, Almost all of the plantations were destroyed. 341 men, women and children were killed. Richard Pace was killed soon after the massacre.

No documentation has been found for his death. "Richard died in his late thirties, possibly in a raid against the Chickahominy Indians. One other interesting note:

The Rev Maycock and his wife were murdered. Following the massacre,the citizens of Jamestown traveled from home to home burying the bodies of the dead. Richard Pace was in the party. The four month, infant daughter of Samuel Maycock, Sarah, was found alive. Family legend says the baby girl was hidden by her mother. Richard's only son, George Pace married Sarah Maycock.
Old 29 Jun 10, 12:14
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyChick View Post
I am currently writing a story about my ancestor, Ricward Pace. This historical story is to be placed in our family book when it is published. Will include a few paragraphs that fit into this thread: Richard and Isabella Pace were "ancient planters" in the Jamestown area. Their plantation was four miles from Jamestown, across the James River.

Richard and Isabella Pace took in a young Indian boy named, “Chanco”, Possibly as a companion for their son, George. While living with the Pace family, he was educated along with his own son, George. He was also schooled in the Christian religion.

Around the evening of March 20, 1622, Chanco’s brother came to the Pace house for a visit. He told Chanco the Indians were planning to attack the white settlers. He had been sent to tell Chanco he was expected to kill the Pace family. Chanco was torn between the loyalty to his Indian ancestors and the love he had for the Pace family. According to legend, Chanco knew well the teachings of the Christian religion taught him murder was a sin. With a heavy heart, he alerted the Pace family of the impending Indian attack. After securing his home and seeing his family was in a safe place, he set out to warn the citizens of Jamestown. In the dead of night, he crept down to the James River and paddled his canoe three miles to the Jamestown side. He ran to the sleeping town to sound the alarm. The colonists quickly prepared for the Indian raid.

Sadly, the news of the Indian attack did not reach the outlying settlements. This included the Isle of Wight and it’s 31 plantations. These settlements were essentially outposts of Jamestown, Almost all of the plantations were destroyed. 341 men, women and children were killed. Richard Pace was killed soon after the massacre.

No documentation has been found for his death. "Richard died in his late thirties, possibly in a raid against the Chickahominy Indians. One other interesting note:

The Rev Maycock and his wife were murdered. Following the massacre,the citizens of Jamestown traveled from home to home burying the bodies of the dead. Richard Pace was in the party. The four month, infant daughter of Samuel Maycock, Sarah, was found alive. Family legend says the baby girl was hidden by her mother. Richard's only son, George Pace married Sarah Maycock.
Thank you for the little bit of history. I never heard that before. Welcome to the forums as well.
Old 13 Sep 10, 20:28
First Lieutenant
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99] strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99] strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99] strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99]
I refer you to the book "MARTIN'S HUNDRED" written by the archologist that excavated the site and whose name I have forgotten ,he worked for Colonial Williamsburg.
My reading of this book makes me think that the Matins Hundres site fell victim to Colonial success as subsequent groups of settlers came on.
That by the turn of the next century the event was all but forgotten and the plantaion thats is still there started. A sad irony for a place that
dhould rival Jamestown or Boston.

"To all who serve , have or will serve , Thank You"
Old 13 Sep 10, 23:54
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by strathnaver View Post
I refer you to the book "MARTIN'S HUNDRED" written by the archologist that excavated the site and whose name I have forgotten ,he worked for Colonial Williamsburg.
My reading of this book makes me think that the Matins Hundres site fell victim to Colonial success as subsequent groups of settlers came on.
That by the turn of the next century the event was all but forgotten and the plantaion thats is still there started. A sad irony for a place that
dhould rival Jamestown or Boston.
I read that once while visiting Williamsburg and Jamestown a few years ago. Wasn't it Wolstenholme town and there was a really good specimen of full face helmet found that also took the name?

They had a very detailed theory of what happened on the site that day in 1622. It was well worth the afternoon visit.
Old 04 Dec 10, 01:25
First Lieutenant
Canada

strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99] strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99] strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99] strathnaver is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
I read that once while visiting Williamsburg and Jamestown a few years ago. Wasn't it Wolstenholme town and there was a really good specimen of full face helmet found that also took the name?

They had a very detailed theory of what happened on the site that day in 1622. It was well worth the afternoon visit.
Wolstenholme town is the site of Martins Hundred , the Carter mansion
they are all the same site. The author of MARTINS HUNDREDs was Noel Hume .

Sponsored Links

Old 06 Dec 10, 20:42
First Lieutenant
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by strathnaver View Post
Wolstenholme town is the site of Martins Hundred , the Carter mansion
they are all the same site. The author of MARTINS HUNDREDs was Ivor Noel Hume .
I jusat remembered the above mentioned author was Ivor Noel Hume

Old 27 Jan 11, 15:12
Banned
Korea

RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500] RavenClaws is on the fast track to disgrace [-500]
Indian Massacre of 1622

The massacre of the settlers in 1622

A Relation of the Barbarous Massacre, 1622

Jamestown Adveturers: After Effects of 1622 Massacre

The "Citie of Henricus" (base about the 1622 massacre.)
Old 15 Mar 11, 20:49
First Lieutenant
United_States

RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99] RuselUpsomegrub is on the path to success [1-99]
Are they still paying the Beaver Skins?????

LOL

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!