StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Colonial Era

Notices and Announcements

American Colonial Era 1660-1763 The growth of North American colonies, often with a change in native & national control.

Old 22 Jul 09, 09:08
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I'll be generally away for the next three days (Thurs-Sat, US east coast time) due to a youth conference at church.

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 22 Jul 09, 19:03
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDJ View Post
Im new to this as well so don't want to be consider for overall command of the British. Im very much looking forward to this game. That being said is there anymore you can tell us new guys on how this will play out.
I'd say the best example I can give is the one presented in the early days of the Waterloo Campaign:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Captain
Turns...

Before each turn a commander-player should send me the following info in one message...

1. Their own location (and that of their staff if away).

2. The orders they wish the units under their command to carry out.

3. Their own intentions for the coming turn.

4. Whether their staff will be with them.

Thats all you each have to do before each turn. Once you have done this i'll begin the turn and follow your instructions. If and when any events happen during the turn, i'll immediately inform you so that (if possible) you can react and issue new orders and intentions.

Messages...

Messages between commander-players come in two types.

Nearby/local - If commanders are together, in a peaceful area within 5 miles or at night encamped within 10 miles of each other, they may freely message each other as they so wish.

Distant - If commanders don't meet the above criteria (such as within 5 miles but in battle and so not peaceful), then their messages to each other must be by ADC and pass through me (a max of 50 words). I'll then simulate a delay while the ADC carries the message and any problems that might occur on the way, and then pass on the message when appropriate.

Orders...

When a player-commander sends me the orders for his units, he doesn't have to do anything else. I'll determine where and when they recieve them and how well they are executed, and then pass on any results or feedback as appropriate. Note that to totally ensure your orders are followed, you should accompany the unit yourself and be onhand immediately anything happens. This can be with or without your staff as you so wish, but there are certain areas (such as charging with cavalry at squares at Waterloo for example) where your staff should not be.
And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsirgarnet
GAME TURN ONE (4AM)

French Commanders!

Please send your marching orders directly to me, which should contain...

a. Your present location.
b. Your orders for your units.
c. Your own intentions (orders) as commander.
d. Your orders for your staff.
e. Any further detail or explanation you feel important.

Example from history. (Note allied forces of unknown strength have been seen to the north by Gen Reille).

Gen Reille - 1.00PM ORDERS

a. Location - Gosselies.

b. Unit Orders - Jeromes Div + 1 foot Batt to advance north to Quatre Bras and hold. Bachelu Div + 1 foot Batt (yet to arrive), will follow Jerome. Foys Div (yet to arrive), will halt at Gosselies as reserve. Pire Cav Div + 1 horse Batt will move to the left of Jerome, covering the south Bossu woods. All other foot Batt hold at Gosselies.

c. Intentions - I will accompany Gen Jerome to Quatre Bras.

d. Staff - With me.

e. Other - Jerome Div, Baudouin in mixed order, front , Soye in column behind. Pire, Waltheir detached to us, close on our left. Jerome foot Batt, deploy south of stream on right.

As you can see, Gen Reille has very simply outlined his orders for the expected battle.

Note, that in this first turn no enemy can be seen, so your orders should be more general such as, move to such a place in column quickly, or move to such a place and wait. These places may be beyond an average hours march (5 miles roughly), but that doesnt matter because your divisions will follow your orders until they recieve new ones. No need for micro management until you are in battle.
At this point I'd suggest we organise a Commander for the British - who doesn't have to permanently be one if you'd like to change out for HiredGoon when he comes back (if he's interested).

Am I right in thinking that at the moment that's Torien?
Old 22 Jul 09, 19:05
Lieutenant General
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Oh yes and Legionnaire / dgfred - does either side appeal to you more?

Or should I be inviting both sides to make a bid for the two unassigned players?
Old 22 Jul 09, 20:41
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Gentlemen,

If it is not to late in the process I would like to a part of this game. First of all thanks for bringing it to this forum for the first time. As Torien mentioned living so close to the ground in question is a very compelling reason to participate. I'm willing to be on either side, but my preference (and your apparent need) is for more commanders of the British/Americans. I would be humbled to command a Virginia Company. I am also new to this type of gaming (my last gaming being board varieties 20+ years ago).

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 22 Jul 09, 20:48
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Welcome to the game, Lance Williams

Thanks for being willing to join either side, but as you pointed out probably the side that needs you most (despite having more players already) is the British/American side, mostly due to the sheer number of formations it boasts.

At this point we're trying to identify a General Braddock, after which he'll be responsible for the commands under him (though I'm sure he'll take all preferences aboard) and as a side you can start setting out a plan to seize Fort Duquesne and subsequently the forts north of there, ultimately taking Fort Niagara
Old 22 Jul 09, 20:53
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khryses View Post
Welcome to the game, Lance Williams

Thanks for being willing to join either side, but as you pointed out probably the side that needs you most (despite having more players already) is the British/American side, mostly due to the sheer number of formations it boasts.

At this point we're trying to identify a General Braddock, after which he'll be responsible for the commands under him (though I'm sure he'll take all preferences aboard) and as a side you can start setting out a plan to seize Fort Duquesne and subsequently the forts north of there, ultimately taking Fort Niagara
Just let me know what my command is and where we should muster.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 23 Jul 09, 06:45
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams View Post
Welcome to the militia, Lance!

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Old 23 Jul 09, 11:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Oh yes and Legionnaire / dgfred - does either side appeal to you more?

Or should I be inviting both sides to make a bid for the two unassigned players?
I can play either... would like a N.Carolina unit or I can play the French/Indian side too .
Old 23 Jul 09, 12:12
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
I can play either... would like a N.Carolina unit or I can play the French/Indian side too .
It would be advantageous if you could make up your mind and decide for the French-Indian side If you could thus commit yourself, I would like to claim you for our side. It is a small but elite group you would be joining, one that is already deeply engaged in its war planning.

Having said that we're running out of commands fast. As I see it, there would only be one command vacancy left.
I'll need a nod from GM Khryses.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 23 Jul 09, 13:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
OK then, the French/Indian side it is . Consider me committed... in one way or another .

Old 23 Jul 09, 16:50
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

That sounds about right, Jeroen - while we could probably squeeze another command or two in on the French/Indian side, four feels about right with the numbers we're talking.

As well as allowing all the named Frenchmen to be played, naturally

But what about our British/Colonial friends? Are you going to let the French and Indians get the jump on you with planning?

Once we appoint a Braddock, he can assign the other commands, start talking with y'all and then together you can bring me a starting plan... and then we can get on the road with the first Strategic update

And unless there are any objections, I think I'll name Torien to the post - congratulations!
Old 25 Jul 09, 09:46
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

So... the French-Indian side has to the best of my knowledge virtually finished their prior planning - how are the British and Colonials doing?
Old 25 Jul 09, 12:25
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
So... the French-Indian side has to the best of my knowledge virtually finished their prior planning - how are the British and Colonials doing?
Indeed. French-Indian war council is over, orders have been issued.
My commanders are manning their battle stations

Contrecoeur

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 25 Jul 09, 21:30
Lieutenant General
Australia
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Okay... well in the (hopefully temporary) absence of Torien/Braddock, the British-Colonials should work out amongst themselves which elements they're commanding (making sure that everything's being commanded by someone) and then working out a general plan for the conquest of Fort Duquesne and northwards.

This should probably be done in a way that the French can't read up on, though it's not such a big problem if you work out commands where they can see. Ideally I'd love to listen in on the discussions - I won't give any tactical advice, but I can help with any basic assumptions that may or may not be so, as well as let you know what your jumping-off point is.

Good fortune!
Old 26 Jul 09, 10:07
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Torien has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams View Post
Khryses, I could use an updated roster list to know who is on who's side. Please.

I have to work at our museum today. Hopefully I can get back on here tonight and work out assignments for the British side.

If Lance, Janos, or anyone else would like to take charge, I would be willing to hand off command. I think that my real world work load will allow me to commit to this game going forward. But my job is such that demands will be placed on my time with no warning and I only log on to ACG from home, so I can't always fill you guys in.

That being said, if I return today (in about 9 hours) and I am still General Braddock, I will work out an order of battle and assign commands as needed.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!