StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Colonial Era

Notices and Announcements

American Colonial Era 1660-1763 The growth of North American colonies, often with a change in native & national control.

Old 24 Aug 09, 09:03
Corporal
United_States

Rostra is on the path to success [1-99]
I'd be fighting the Seven Years' War over in India on the British side, because I believe some of the cheapest commissions were for positions in India. Don't know much about the war there, though.
Old 24 Aug 09, 09:16
Major General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200]
I probably would be fishing in the Med.

I would prefer living in New York or Philadelphia as the colonies slowly move toward independence.
Old 24 Aug 09, 13:38
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

61st Ga is on the path to success [1-99] 61st Ga is on the path to success [1-99] 61st Ga is on the path to success [1-99] 61st Ga is on the path to success [1-99]
A lot of my family were already in Georgia and South Carolina. So I would have been somewhere in the deep south trying to live day to day and fighting Indians. But of course I did still have ancestors in Great Britian and in Germany so I could have been in Europe. Neat thread.

May 12th 1864 In the Bloody Angle Spotsylvania C.H
Old 24 Aug 09, 18:36
General of the Forums
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500]
Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500] Surrey is a jewel in the rough [500]
I have ancesters from all over the UK and Ireland - I could have been anywhere.
Old 05 Feb 11, 08:35
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99]
I head north from New York State and find either Robert Rogers or John Stark and join and fight as one of his Rangers.
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Feb 11, 08:55
Staff Sergeant
United_States

welshdragon is on the path to success [1-99] welshdragon is on the path to success [1-99] welshdragon is on the path to success [1-99]
So many different branches on the ethnic tree for me.

The Scottish part would likely have been shepherded onto a ship.

The Irish would be squabbling with England.

The Welsh part I know was entrenching themselves in the British Navy.

The Bavarian part would surely have been a hired mercenary (I know they were.)

The French part...surely ran away.

My choice...I likely would have been a transplanted Scot fighting his way into the black hills of Tennessee.
Old 05 Feb 11, 08:58
Captain
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Proud to relate that some of my ancestors are those very Scots who settled at Watauga and led the way west to TN. A great heritage even if I do say so myself!
Old 05 Feb 11, 10:08
General
Wales

Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800]
Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800] Tuck's Luck gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshdragon View Post

The Welsh part I know was entrenching themselves in the British Navy.
One of my ancestors was Superintendent Pilot of Milford Haven in West Wales from about 1802. I've yet to establish whether or not he saw RN service prior to that, but I'm guessing he probably did. I've certainly found another ancestor who did. My Welsh ancestors were either farmers or seamen - so I'm going to say I would have been on a Royal Navy ship somewhere ....
Old 05 Feb 11, 10:52
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
My ancestors came from The Midlands and Wales, so a good chance I would have been in some English Regiment of Foot.

Now if I could pick it would be in my home town on the Ohio fighting off the French and Indians first and then later our cousins from across the pond.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 05 Feb 11, 15:08
Staff Sergeant
United_States

welshdragon is on the path to success [1-99] welshdragon is on the path to success [1-99] welshdragon is on the path to success [1-99]
The Nelsons in my family hold tightly to the family secret that Admiral Nelson had a great deal more Welsh in him than the family let on.
Old 05 Feb 11, 18:46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99]
My favorite Admiral Welshdragon . Lord Horatio Nelson I don't have enought space to talk about genius of that man
Old 06 Feb 11, 02:34
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500] skiplc is a jewel in the rough [500]
A Good Question...

I would like to think I would be attempting to dig a life for me and my family out of the soil of Kentucky.
Old 06 Feb 11, 06:13
General
France

DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatiere View Post
Great post!!! Which were the brits batts involved?

according to wiki

* 32 (Minden) Battery, 16 Regiment Royal Artillery
* 1st Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment, successor to the 12th Regiment of Foot
* HQ Company, 3rd Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment (TA Reserve)
* The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, successor the 20th Regiment of Foot
* The Royal Welsh, successors to the 23rd Regiment of Foot
* The Royal Scots Borderers, The Royal Regiment of Scotland, as successors to the 25th Regiment of Foot (King's Own Scottish Borderers)
* The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, successors to the 37th Regiment of Foot
* 3rd and 5th Battalions The Rifles Regiment as successors of The Light Infantry, successors to the 51st Regiment of Foot
Old 07 Feb 11, 08:14
General
France

DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700] DARKPLACE is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
Imagine you are living in 1758. It is the height of the first truly world war, the Seven Years' War. The European powers are vying for control in Europe, while Britain and France are struggling for all of North America, as well as their other colonies around the world. Would you be a soldier in Frederick the Great's Prussian army? A New England Provincial fighting the French and their allied Indians in Nova Scotia? An English seaman in a British naval squadron off the coast of India? A Scottish Highlander, cutting a road through the Pennsylvania wilderness toward Ft. Duquesne? Or perhaps a French Canadian habitant called to fight in the milice to repel the British advance up the Lake Champlain corridor?

Where would you be 250 years ago?
To touch on the original post. Depending on which side of the family I follow I am either in the Navy or Pirating, well they called it privateering but its the same thing with more paperwork. Or I am a farmer/miner in lancashire.
Old 07 Feb 11, 10:12
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I think most of us would've been digging turnips out on some farm somewhere.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!