StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Colonial Era

Notices and Announcements

American Colonial Era 1660-1763 The growth of North American colonies, often with a change in native & national control.

Old 29 Sep 05, 07:19
Gunnery Sergeant
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

neon is on the path to success [1-99]
Thumbs up The Last of the Mohicans

The ABC here in Australia are doing a what's your favorite film poll at moment. And this got me thinking. And one film that left me reeling in emotions was the 1992 film The Last of the Mohicans. This would have to be one of the great historic epics of all time. I thick it really pave the way for a lot more modern epics like Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan. During the 70's and 80's I can't think of any really big historic epics that were produce.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 29 Sep 05, 11:38
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
I agree, LOTM is my all time favorite movie. I saw it in the theater in '92 and it had a big impact on me. Up until that point my historical interests had been focused on the American Civil War. I had been a bit of an obsessive history buff. But LOTM opened the door to a new and fascinating period in history to me. I read the novel by James Fenimore Cooper and began to study the French and Indian War. Eventually I became a F&I War reenactor and continued studying the period in university as a history and archaeology student. Today I know that the film is not historically accurate in many areas, and I know every blooper that made it in the film, but I still appreciate the film as a great work of art. I own the original theatrical release on VHS and the director's cut on DVD and both have been viewed more times than I can count. I also lived for awhile in upstate NY and was able to visit the historical sites where the events of the book and film supposedly take place, Glen's Falls, Lake George and Fort William Henry.
Old 29 Sep 05, 11:48
General of the Forums
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
LOTM and the old classic Northwest Passage are fantastic movies. It is hard to imagine life being that brutal in New York and New England less than 300 years ago.
Old 29 Sep 05, 12:08
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Agree, one of my all time favorites--great cinematography and intriguing theme by Clannad combined to tell a classic story, certainly beats Hollywood's normal thin gruel.
Old 29 Sep 05, 14:35
Member Emeritus
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
I've watched that movie at least 5 times and there are certain scenes in that movie that must be among the best ever put on film!

Like others this movie got me interested in the French and Indian War and I learned how the this war and the Revolution were very much related.
Old 29 Sep 05, 14:37
Member Emeritus
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon
. And one film that left me reeling in emotions was the 1992 film The Last of the Mohicans. .
What parts caused the emotional reaction for you?
Old 29 Sep 05, 17:39
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weider
I've watched that movie at least 5 times and there are certain scenes in that movie that must be among the best ever put on film!

Like others this movie got me interested in the French and Indian War and I learned how the this war and the Revolution were very much related.
LotM is also one of my favorites. While the foliage of mid 18th centurty upstate New York no longer exists, the Great Smoky Mountains are certainly a great substitute and definately pulls you back into the era.

Several of the action sequences are definately some of the best black powder/sword/knife/war club scenes ever filmed...................

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 29 Sep 05, 18:04
United_States

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
The entire film is one series of perfect scenes after another, but some of my favorite scenes are:

Heyward's diversion added to the director's cut, where the Highlanders and allied Indians raid the French trenches, drawing out the French soldiers to be engaged by the British grenadiers. Meanwhile Hawkeye and Uncas provide cover fire for the courier sent out to Ft. Edward, including some incredible sharpshooting from Hawkeye.

The Huron Village scene where the Huron sachem decides the fate of the captives, Duncan sacrifices himself for Cora, which leads into the Cliffs scene where Uncas fights to rescue Alice and is killed Alice jumps to her death to join her love, and Chingachgook and Hawkeye extract vengence, taking out the Huron war party including Magua.

Also, added to the end of the Director's cut, Chingachgook, Hawkeye and Cora stand on top of a cliff overlooking the the setting sun slide behind the mountains. Chingachgook prophetically speaks:

CHINGACHGOOK: The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the red man of the wilderness forests in front of it. Until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us ... The frontier place is for people like my white son and his woman and their children.

HAWKEYE: That's my father's sadness talking.

CHINGACHGOOK: No. It is true ... One day ... there will be no more frontier. Then men like you will go, too. Like the Mohicans. And new people will come. Work. Struggle to make their light ... But once.... we were here....
Old 29 Sep 05, 18:17
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
"Silk...........an extra 40 yards"...........................

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 29 Sep 05, 21:12
Gunnery Sergeant
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weider
What parts caused the emotional reaction for you?
Just brutality of war and colonialism, the beauty of the landscape, the way the Munro's daughters being emotional captivated by their new enviroment, the soundtrack, and the opening of my eyes to a part of history that I really didn't know that existed. I know that Europeans had been in the Americans along time before the American Revolution, but this film started to paint a better picture of this time for me. Before this I was really only interested in WWII. I guest you could sayit only furthered my love of history and military history in particular.

The ending is amazing too.

I surprised that it didn't win more awards, considering that Braveheart won an Oscar a few years later.
Sponsored Links

Old 29 Sep 05, 21:23
Member Emeritus
United_States

Quote:
Just brutality of war and colonialism, the beauty of the landscape, the way the Munro's daughters being emotional captivated by their new enviroment, the soundtrack, and the opening of my eyes to a part of history that I really didn't know that existed. I know that Europeans had been in the Americans along time before the American Revolution, but this film started to paint a better picture of this time for me. Before this I was really only interested in WWII. I guest you could sayit only furthered my love of history and military history in particular.

The ending is amazing too.

I surprised that it didn't win more awards, considering that Braveheart won an Oscar a few years later.
Wonderful! You have motivated me to watch it again! Thanks.
Old 29 Sep 05, 22:26
Gunnery Sergeant
Australia

Also I read on The Last of the Mohicans IMDB message board that there is two different DVD releases. The original and a director cut, the latter a lot people didn't like. The director Michael Mann took out some parts and add some new ones (making it 5 minutes longer) and deleted a lot of the original soundtrack. Which was strange because apparently the pre-release cut was over hour longer and was cut down by Fox studios who wanted the shorter film.
Old 30 Sep 05, 11:22
Captain
United_States

Blackcloud6 is on the path to success [1-99] Blackcloud6 is on the path to success [1-99] Blackcloud6 is on the path to success [1-99] Blackcloud6 is on the path to success [1-99] Blackcloud6 is on the path to success [1-99] Blackcloud6 is on the path to success [1-99]
Yes, this is a great movie. It is my wife's favorite film. A few years ago went went on a tour of the Lake Geaorge are and spent an afternoon at Ft. George. If you ever get a chance to go there it is really neat. There's Ft. Carllion on the other end of the lake to see to (aka Ft. Ticonderoga) and it is very good to see also. Lots of French & Indian War and American Revolutionary War history there. What struck me was the harshness of the terrain, especially for that time period and why the lake and river susye was so strategically and operationally significant.

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!
Old 30 Sep 05, 17:14
United_States

Quote:
Also I read on The Last of the Mohicans IMDB message board that there is two different DVD releases. The original and a director cut, the latter a lot people didn't like. The director Michael Mann took out some parts and add some new ones (making it 5 minutes longer) and deleted a lot of the original soundtrack. Which was strange because apparently the pre-release cut was over hour longer and was cut down by Fox studios who wanted the shorter film.
Yes, I believe the director's cut evens out to about one minute longer. I personally prefer the director's cut to the theatrical release. Mann cut out Hawkeye's several sarcastic remarks he made to Major Heyward through the film, such as:

Major Heyward: There is a war on, how is you are headed west.

Hawkeye: Simple, face north and real sudden like turn left.

So those kinds of remarks were cut out, Heyward's diversion scene was added, the Clannad song was cut out, and Chingachgook's speech was lengthened at the end of the film, plus a couple very short scenes were added. The changes were fairly minor, but I believe Mann did the right thing. The Clannad song and the sarcastic remarks never really fit, too anachronistic.

For the best website on LOTM, check out Mohican Press. The site has interviews with people involved in the film, the original script, a discussion of the historical accuracy, behind the scenes info, a message board, etc.
Old 11 Oct 05, 19:56
Recruit
United_States

JonnieR is a balanced individual [0]
I too think the Last of the Mohicans was a sensational film. I was raised in Rome, New York, sight of Fort Stanwick, there is a replica of the fort in the middle of town and it was the first place to ever fly the American Flag in battle, only a month after Betsy Ross designed it. Every 4th of July they would re-enact the battle of Oriskany (Drums Along the Mohawk, another great film) and I actually got to participate.

As good a book and film as LOTM was, James Fenimore Cooper wrote another book named The Deer Slayer, which was even better and would also make a great film if anyone has the foresight to make it. There are some battle scenes with the Hurons in this book which would be awesome on the big screen.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!