StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 18 Jun 11, 05:59
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 6 View Post
Something to do with a chopper was my first impression.
Yes, most probably. From one of my contacts:

Quote:
A cargo pick up area for helo underslung loads eg a Chinook lifting a 105mm howitzer.
Old 18 Jun 11, 08:45
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The "hook out area" is were you set up your sling loads for pickup by a "chithook" or Chinook. The aircraft departs over the wire so if the load gets dropped it doesn't kill anyone.
Old 18 Jun 11, 08:48
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Old 04 Jul 11, 15:16
Sergeant Major
United_States

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Where was Trung Loi?

Can't find Trung Loi.

Refer to this story about The Battle of Trung Loi. The battle took place 20 Nov 65 during Operation Bushmaster (I).

Now look at the map showing where The Battle of Trung Loi took place. It's #2 on the map.

Here's a 1965 map (6331-4) of the area that Trung Loi was supposed to be. No Joy. Can't find it.

Kelley's book doesn't have Trung Loi, the TAD only has Chon Thanh, and Wiki is no help.

If there is an After Action Report for Operation Bushmaster there may be a more descript location of Trung Loi.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Sidewinder
Old 04 Jul 11, 15:29
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Trung Loi is at XT720613, it is the unmarked buildings along Route 239. It was probably a resettlement center or "strategic hamlet", thats why it is not indicated. AAR for BUSHMASTER I is here:

http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/star/imag...3370154001.pdf
Old 04 Jul 11, 22:36
Sergeant Major
United_States

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Extremely good Boonie, thanks. I figured an AAR would tell us.

It looks like they called Route 239 "Pennsylvania Avenue" (ref. pg. 5 AAR).

Sidewinder
Old 18 Aug 11, 14:42
Sergeant
Australia

Biggus is on the path to success [1-99]
Bit of a request - Does anyone have a map that details district boundaries? I've found several that show boundaries down to the province level, but I'd like to find one that goes one more level down.
Old 18 Aug 11, 14:49
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
Bit of a request - Does anyone have a map that details district boundaries? I've found several that show boundaries down to the province level, but I'd like to find one that goes one more level down.
I've seen only recent (post-1975) ones. The 1,50:000 tactical maps have district boundaries on them though.
Old 18 Aug 11, 14:53
Sergeant
Australia

Biggus is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
I've seen only recent (post-1975) ones. The 1,50:000 tactical maps have district boundaries on them though.
Good answer. I hadn't even thought of using them. It'd be good to see a whole-country map though.
Old 18 Aug 11, 19:09
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Can't find Trung Loi.

Refer to this story about The Battle of Trung Loi. The battle took place 20 Nov 65 during Operation Bushmaster (I).

Now look at the map showing where The Battle of Trung Loi took place. It's #2 on the map.

Sidewinder

Loved this little map drawing. Can you provide the Battles and dates for all other numbers? Where/what was #6?

About the only places missing from the places I was at are Bu Dop, (a little further North of An Loc) and Thu Duc (just a little further South than Pho Loi). Other than that, the drawn map about covers my whole AO.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Sponsored Links

Old 24 Aug 11, 11:44
Sergeant Major
United_States

Ken,

Can't remember where that map you show came from, I'll have to look around for it. In my Photobucket album I call it 1st ID Battles North Section, so there must be a South Section somewhere.

Here's battle maps from my 1st book that covers 12 Nov 66 to 1 Apr 67. I had to scan it in three sections because the book is so big.

Note battle 6; 1st ID, 2d Bde, 2/16, Co. C, took a bad a$$ kicking by the VC D800 Battalion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Xa_Cam_My
Old 24 Aug 11, 15:10
Sergeant Major
United_States

Nat Geo Map of SEA

Interesting 1967 map of SEA by National Geographic (for sale)

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/m...-map-1967.html

Not sure how you will enter the site but if you click on the map it will enlarge (repeatedly), then you can press and hold your left mouse button and move around the map.

Cheers
Old 24 Aug 11, 15:15
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Ken,
//
Here's battle maps from my 1st book that covers 12 Nov 66 to 1 Apr 67. I had to scan it in three sections because the book is so big.
//
Note battle 6; 1st ID, 2d Bde, 2/16, Co. C, took a bad a$$ kicking by the VC D800 Battalion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Xa_Cam_My
Thanks "Winder", I love your map and have "stolen it" (see below).

heeheehee, I think you meant 12 Nov 65; also think you and I obtain different info from time-to-time from different sources that overlap; and sources seem to provide different "data".

Here is your map put back together into one map....

Here is a map I found somewhere that I've been working with that should have contained the same info of your above map; heeheehee, as you see the numbers and "battles" don't exactly "match"; stuff like this drives me nuts

Don't know when but I will attempt to reconcile some of the battles. Some of Boonie's stuff found below will also help (I hope)....

http://sites.google.com/site/vietnam...vco-chronology

and here....

http://sites.google.com/site/vietnam.../Home/vco-1967

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 25 Aug 11 at 04:58..
Old 25 Aug 11, 10:31
Sergeant Major
United_States

Ken,

You're right, it is 12 Nov 65, not 66.

Here's the rest of the little map drawing. It came from Volume One, Number One of the Danger Forward magazine, dated May 1967 (it too is in two parts). The gray (grey for Boonie) map above came from a 1970 issue of the Danger Forward magazine.

Here's a list of 1st ID battles from the 1st ID in Vietnam book, Volume 1:

Have fun,

Sidewinder
Old 01 Nov 11, 09:46
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quan Loi

Happen to stubble upon this site about Alpha Battery, 6/27th Artillary, Quan Loi. Pretty neat map.

http://www.quanloi.org/abattery12one...y%20Layout.htm

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!