StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 15 May 11, 22:24
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
Ken,

Thanks. I've always been fascinated with maps and such. Appreciate all you're doing.

I've always thought, it looks like wrongly, that LZ English and Bong Son were pretty much the same place. Am I right or wrong?

Cheers,
Dan.
Actually no.

Here's the TAD, it has the map and Lat/Long coordinates.

Here's a map section showing Bong Son...right up against the left edge of this map. Map L7014-6739-2 49P BR846-947 (there's nothing at 977). This is a 1968 map. The map says it is abandoned (?)

Old 16 May 11, 01:44
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
LZ ENGLISH is north of Hoai Nhon (Bong Son) along Route 1. The old Bong Son airstrip was where the SF Camp was located.

Old 17 May 11, 16:43
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
As a sidebar, do you have a good map of SF camps in III CTZ? I know the camps came and went often so any map would be obsolete at its printing; however, I have a few (that differ) so I figure one more would help pinpoint a camp. Here's a pic of what one of my buds says was the location of a SF camp he was at in May of '68 in the Plain of Reeds but I can't find it on my maps. He says he was told by the grunts that it was a Klick away from the Cambodian border. I've looked at all camps in the Reeds and there's only one that close but doesn't match the pic.

At first he thought it was Hiep Hoa but has changed his mind.

Here's his pics:

This is supposed to be the SF camp...

This is as close as I could get to his pics, but there's no camp on the map, and it's no were near the border.

I think I'll have another beer and forget about this for a bit...

Last edited by Boonierat; 17 May 11 at 17:10..
Old 17 May 11, 17:30
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
As a sidebar, do you have a good map of SF camps in III CTZ? I know the camps came and went often so any map would be obsolete at its printing; however, I have a few (that differ) so I figure one more would help pinpoint a camp. Here's a pic of what one of my buds says was the location of a SF camp he was at in May of '68 in the Plain of Reeds but I can't find it on my maps. He says he was told by the grunts that it was a Klick away from the Cambodian border. I've looked at all camps in the Reeds and there's only one that close but doesn't match the pic.
Hard to tell, there was two A-Camps in Hau Nghia Province (where the III CTZ portion of the Plain of Reeds was located) in May 1968: Duc Hue (A-351 at XT 320000900) and Tra Cu (A-352 at XS47759846). Are you sure he was in III CTZ? the majority of the Plain of Reeds (Dong Thap Muoi for the Vietnamese) was in IV CTZ.
Old 17 May 11, 19:03
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
Hard to tell, there was two A-Camps in Hau Nghia Province (where the III CTZ portion of the Plain of Reeds was located) in May 1968: Duc Hue (A-351 at XT 320000900) and Tra Cu (A-352 at XS47759846). Are you sure he was in III CTZ? the majority of the Plain of Reeds (Dong Thap Muoi for the Vietnamese) was in IV CTZ.
He said it was in the Reeds, and not specific about which CTZ he was in. Also said it was on the Fish Hook side of the Parrot's Beak(?) The map I posted is of Tra Cu (477-984). It's the only one that has that canal "T" interesection with the river, although the map shows no camp along the canal. Duc Hoa is even futher away from the Cambodian border I believe.

I think his CRS is setting in pretty bad, all he really remembers is shooting a quad 50 while he was there. I think he took those photos as he passed by on his way to the SF camp he was headed for. He did say there was no runway at the camp he was at and was transported in via helicopter.

He also said he was there tempoarily to support the 9th ID so that may be a clue.

I'm at the point were I will show him a map of Disney Land and say here ya go pal...
Old 17 May 11, 20:26
Sergeant Major
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Actually no.

Here's the TAD, it has the map and Lat/Long coordinates.

Here's a map section showing Bong Son...right up against the left edge of this map. Map L7014-6739-2 49P BR846-947 (there's nothing at 977). This is a 1968 map. The map says it is abandoned (?)

This sure looks like your photo.
other photos of the area:http://www.gia-vuc.com/11daysalbum.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg two%20bits%20south.jpg (99.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 18 May 11, 16:22
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
Turns out it was Tra Cu, in IV CTZ. He dug up this link:
http://brownwater-navy.com/vietnam/TraCu.htm
Old 18 May 11, 16:24
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTownLarry View Post

This sure looks like your photo.
other photos of the area:http://www.gia-vuc.com/11daysalbum.htm
Those are great photos in that link TT, thanks for posting.

Sidewinder
Old 18 May 11, 22:22
Sergeant Major
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99] TTownLarry is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Those are great photos in that link TT, thanks for posting.

Sidewinder
One of my best friends passed away recently and he was part of the special forces group that first open the camp at Gia Vuc in Feb of 63 and I keep watching for posts of this area to find more information of his tour and noticed your post looked familiar.

Good luck finding what your looking for.
Old 18 May 11, 22:57
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTownLarry View Post
One of my best friends passed away recently and he was part of the special forces group that first open the camp at Gia Vuc in Feb of 63 and I keep watching for posts of this area to find more information of his tour and noticed your post looked familiar.
Here's an aerial view of Gia Vuc SF camp and a map section showing Gia Vuc SF camp. Map coordinates 49P BS 372-275. The camp was located in Quang Ngai Province, I Corp.

Old 23 May 11, 04:36
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Here's a pic of an M107 he took while there.

Those 175's were loud SOB's. While at Soui Da during Operation Junction City they were there. Damn near had a heart attack when they cut loose in the middle of the night while I was sleeping.
This post brought back some memories. We had 175's at Phuoc Vinh; they were mostly used for H&I's all throughout the night. Yep, you couldn't get much sleep until you got use to them - LOL they would shake the ground when they fired.

When I went through Infantry OCS we were trained on them suckers (Plotting Target and Firing thereof). When you plotted your target, you had to consider several things, such as weather and yes even the "earth's rotation". Here is a little write-up.....

Quote:
BIG GUNS
175mm

With the addition of a 175mm Gun tube, the "Indianheads" were able shoot out to a range of 32,800 meters (20 miles) which was twice as far as the 8-inch Howitzers. Because of its high velocity, the 175mm Gun was used primarily against "Area Targets". Because of its high velocity the 175mm Gun had the reputation of being somewhat erratic. It could be temperamental if not used properly. But in the hands of a good gun crew, who serviced and maintained the weapon according to the specifications, kept the powder temperatures at a fairly constant level, kept the rounds clean, ensured a uniform depth of ram was achieved, kept the bore clean, and combined this with a good Fire Direction Center (FDC) crew and current meteorological data, you could in fact "hit the broad side of a barn".

http://www.landscaper.net/bigguns.htm

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 23 May 11, 09:23
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
This post brought back some memories. We had 175's at Phuoc Vinh; they were mostly used for H&I's all throughout the night. Yep, you couldn't get much sleep until you got use to them - LOL they would shake the ground when they fired.

When I went through Infantry OCS we were trained on them suckers (Plotting Target and Firing thereof). When you plotted your target, you had to consider several things, such as weather and yes even the "earth's rotation". Here is a little write-up.....
Did you have any experience with "VT" fuses? While at Lai Khe the Ben Cat FSB was firing rounds (105 or 155?) over our heads during a very low cloud ceiling. Two rounds exploded in mid air directly over the base camp. I think they were using VT fused rounds and the clouds actually set them off. Have you ever heard of this?
Old 23 May 11, 11:10
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Did you have any experience with "VT" fuses? While at Lai Khe the Ben Cat FSB was firing rounds (105 or 155?) over our heads during a very low cloud ceiling. Two rounds exploded in mid air directly over the base camp. I think they were using VT fused rounds and the clouds actually set them off. Have you ever heard of this?
No Sidewinder, never even heard of VT fuses before (or I have forgotten them). Google is wonderful and explains their "principle".

While in INFANTRY OCS we basically learned how to "plot" and fire most all Arty pieces that supported Infantry (Including wire guided rockets). Most the time the targets we were given (during training) were "Tanks, Buildings, etc.", or "Troops in the Open". Much of our training were "book questions and answers" where we had to give firing solutions (on paper). After we had learned minimum stuff, we would then go to the field for "hands on experience". I would expect Arty Officers and Crews were taught more than us Infantry folks.

LOL - We sure knew all about throwing Grenades though, to include what was commonly called "cook offs" (an "air burst"); pull pin, release safety lever, count to 3 or 4 real quick then throw. Risky, but effective for enemy that were spread out. Really "pucker" time while your holding a LIVE grenade waiting for the delayed fuse to explode and hope you have a full 5 sec fuse! I never had the "balls" or situation to go past 3.

The "air burst" you experienced may have been defective fusing. First time I was wounded was from a "short round" coming out of a Mortar. A "short round" was generated due to WET ammo and/or defective manufacturing. Normally a "short round" would just land short and then explode. Have no idea if an "air burst" would occur with the same defect????

P.S. At Lai Khe there were rubber trees within the base camp. Are you sure the rounds weren't hitting the top of the trees then exploding? Man, those are incredible odds that two rounds would hit each other in mid air.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 23 May 11 at 11:29..
Old 24 May 11, 12:47
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post

P.S. At Lai Khe there were rubber trees within the base camp. Are you sure the rounds weren't hitting the top of the trees then exploding? Man, those are incredible odds that two rounds would hit each other in mid air.
The rounds were definitely not hitting the trees, the detonations were too high up..several hundred feet. The interval at which the rounds exploded would eliminate any possiblity of the rounds hitting each other. They definately went off in the low clouds.

I could hear each round cutting through the air as they passed over my head. Several rounds went by with no problem then one exploded, then another round exploded...suddenly no more rounds. I think someone got on the radio and told them to cease fire.
Old 01 Jun 11, 07:16
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Check this site guys, has great detailed contemporary city maps, the Bien Hoa one at 1:12,500 for example is a true beauty:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/vietnam.html

Last edited by Boonierat; 02 Jun 11 at 06:41..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!