StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 09 Apr 11, 17:45
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
French Fort Revisited

Ran across a map of the French Fort area dated 1970. Unlike my 1965 map, this one shows the fort. 275680 + or -

Old 10 Apr 11, 12:15
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Great Stuff!

To Ken and Ron,

Thanks for, what is now, the most interesting thread on the forum.

Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Old 10 Apr 11, 13:03
Sergeant Major
Powflag

hankwill has disabled reputation
Black Virgin

Please correct me if I'm wrong,but as I remember it during the operation"Junction City"Nui Ba Den aka Black Virgin was"off limits to all military operations or supporting fires.Something about the Buddhist claiming that the hill had a"religious significance"for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tropic.jpg (22.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 10 Apr 11, 13:55
Sergeant Major
United_States

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankwill View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong,but as I remember it during the operation"Junction City"Nui Ba Den aka Black Virgin was"off limits to all military operations or supporting fires.Something about the Buddhist claiming that the hill had a"religious significance"for them.
Hankwill,

You're right, it was "off limits" back then...except the top, were we had a radio relay station. That's another story.

From Soui Da at night you could see [camp] fires flicking all over the side of the mountain, but not one round left the basecamp targeting them. The communists knew we wouldn't violate the ROE and just sat around the camp fire and sang kumbaya all night...they had big balls that's for sure.
Old 10 Apr 11, 22:32
General of the Forums
United_States

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Great photo Ron, thanks.

I've seen a bunch of Nui Ba Den pics but I don't recall ever seeing one that close up. Is that Nui Cau we're looking at?

Ken
Company A, 2-22nd Mech. 3rd Brigade. Originally 4th Division but since the 1st and 2nd Brigade were deployed in Pleku and the 3rd Brigade of the 25th was also there, we just switched divisions.

There was a Special Forces radio relay station on the summit. And, the VC usually had free reign of the slopes of the main peak.

The view was looking due south from the overnight camp.

Here are some more pics of this extinct volcano.

It is easy to see why resupplying the summit camp was so difficult during Monsoon Season.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17 at 07:51..
Old 11 Apr 11, 11:17
Sergeant Major
United_States

Accounts of Nui Ba Den battles:

http://katzenmeier.wordpress.com/200...-den-massacre/

The USAF had enlisted radio operators on top of Nui Ba Den. They used call signs Rustic Control and Sundog Control over time.
Old 11 Apr 11, 21:58
General of the Forums
United_States

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Found a picture of Nui Cai.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Last edited by SRV Ron; 13 Jul 17 at 07:51..
Old 11 Apr 11, 22:59
Sergeant Major
United_States

Mighty fine Ron, thanks.
Old 22 Apr 11, 12:16
Colonel
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Binh Dinh Province 1971

Gentlemen,

I'm looking at the AAR of Operation Keystone Oriole Bravo, which was the redeployment of the 173rd Airborne Brigade from Binh Dinh to the CONUS during July and August of 1971.

Would any one of you have a map of the province for that year which shows the locations of the following;

LZ English
LZ Uplift,
FSB Springfield,
FSB Salem,
the Hawk's Nest retransmission facility,
Cam Ranh Bay,
Cha Rang,
Tuy Hoa,
Phu Tai,
Phu Cat Air Base,
Base Area 226 (an NVA location I think),
Phu My Ridge, and
the Crescent Mountains?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Old 22 Apr 11, 13:37
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I don't think an AAR for KEYSTONE ORIOLE BRAVO exists. I've tried to locate the 173d's ORRL for the period but it is not available online, nor that of I FFORCEV. The MACV Command History for 1971 has a chapter on the redeployment operations, if you're looking for the departure dates.

The locations you're researching are not all in Binh Dinh, here's the UTM coords for you to locate them on 1:50,000 or 1:250:000 maps:

LZ English: BS 879-005 (Binh Dinh)
LZ Uplift: BR 924-752 (Binh Dinh)
FSB Springfield: BR 759-913 (Binh Dinh)
FSB Salem BR 711-846 & BR 935-805 (two different LZ, both in Binh Dinh)
the Hawk's Nest retransmission facility CR 07-76 (small island 2 km off coast Binh Dinh)
Cam Ranh Bay (don't need coords to locate this one can't be found on any VN map, Khanh Hoa Province)
Cha Rang BR 937-318 (Binh Dinh)
Tuy Hoa (no need coords either, capital of Phu Yen Province)
Phu Tai CR 03-16 (Binh Dinh)
Phu Cat Air Base BR 896-412 (Binh Dinh)
Base Area 226 (an NVA location I think): BR 72-63 (10 km east Vinh Thanh, Binh Dinh)
Phu My Ridge (not sure what ridge is this but Phy My is at BR 899-672, Binh Dinh)
the Crescent Mountains: aka Nui Ta Bach, BR 885-925 (Binh Dinh)
Sponsored Links

Old 22 Apr 11, 13:43
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Hey map lovers, have a look at this, a SEA bronze map at the USAF Vietnam Memorial in Colorado Springs dedicated 1 October 2010, pretty cool

Old 22 Apr 11, 18:47
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Nice, I can see the Batagan Penninsula. Chu Lai is a bit north of there and about 25 klicks west/northwest. LZ Professional.
Old 22 Apr 11, 21:07
Colonel
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300] RadioResearcher is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaKid View Post
Nice, I can see the Batagan Penninsula. Chu Lai is a bit north of there and about 25 klicks west/northwest. LZ Professional.
Montana --

For a VERY extensive Americal map room, including Professional - and if you don't already know about it - go HERE. They caution against using on other websites, so I respected that (especially since I am an ADVA member!). Here is a nice aerial, though - from back in the day. The black square was the location of my RR compound . . .

-- RR
Old 22 Apr 11, 23:36
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioResearcher View Post
Montana --

For a VERY extensive Americal map room, including Professional - and if you don't already know about it - go HERE. They caution against using on other websites, so I respected that (especially since I am an ADVA member!). Here is a nice aerial, though - from back in the day. The black square was the location of my RR compound . . .

-- RR
Very nice. They did a good job with those maps.

THanks for the link.
Old 22 Apr 11, 23:39
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
Hey map lovers, have a look at this, a SEA bronze map at the USAF Vietnam Memorial in Colorado Springs dedicated 1 October 2010, pretty cool

Very nice!

The Forward Air Controllers Association had their 2008 reunion at Colorado Springs, where a FAC memorial was dedicated. I wonder if the USAF Memorial is nearby.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!