StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 09 Feb 11, 05:29
Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Ranger Jim/Ken,

Here's a map of the 1st ID TAOR in 1969. It doesn't specifically give boundries of the TAOR but it it shows the general area, including location of the 1st CAV, 11th CAV, and 25th ID.

I like it because it shows the names given to features of signifigance.

Sidewinder
Thanks, Sidewinder! That also clarifies my info - the Song Dong Nai (and further SW, the Song Nha Be) also marked the boundary between Quan Duc Tu and Quan Thu Duc, which was indeed the boundary between the 1st and 9th IDs during early '68.

Jim
Old 09 Feb 11, 10:06
Sergeant Major
United_States

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Here's a map of zones C&D as I remember them - abutting each other.

I don't remember exactly when the 1st ID Headquarters moved to Lai Khe, but it was indeed 1967. What stands out in my (CRS) memory was that we picked up another Birddog for the 1st ID ALO to go along with the three Birddogs we already had for the 3rd Bde ALO and one for each of the two Battalion ALO's we had. Here's a pic of the fourth Dawg.

Another memory of the division headquarters was that the combat engineers built a giant bunker for the division REMFS along QL13 using a bulldozer. They had a fine bunker until the monsoon rains turned the bunker into a swimming pool...completely full of water. LOL

Sidewinder
Old 12 Feb 11, 17:03
Sergeant Major
United_States

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
hmmmm, tried to find stuff for you....

Check this link out; it covers May 1967. Depending on your system it will take a couple of min to load (.PDF - Adobe Reader needed) - not much help but may be interesting for you (** you can use the search after loading to assist)

DTIC OPERATIONAL REPORT - LESSONS LEARNED 01 MAY 1967 – 31 JULY 1967

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf

However other stuff I found indicates that MAYBE the 273rd VC Regiment may have been causing the problems during May in the Song Be area...

The Coordinate of YT0339 gives the indication....

P.S. I know there is something out there, but I don't have it. Much searching of Unit Records would be necessary... GOOD LUCK
with your argument with your buddy LOL

Thanks for digging into this for me Ken. I'll have to read that entire pdf Report when I get a chance.

I have a buddy that was a USAF radio operator that worked for SF Detachment B-36, Project Sigma, around Song Be during the time period we are talking about. He may remember something. He's lost a leg to AO a couple years ago and isn't too talkative lately, but I'll give him a try.

Thanks,

Sidewinder

P.S. I read your Silver Star Citation.

Crisp Hand Salute
Old 12 Feb 11, 23:18
Sergeant Major
United_States

Big Red One Battle Map

Map scanned from my book - 1st ID in Vietnam , Vol I, Jul 1965 - April 1967:

Index to map:

Old 20 Feb 11, 22:13
Sergeant Major
United_States

Big Red One Country

Here's a map that may interest our 1st Infantry Division troops.

From the 1st ID Danger Forward Magazine, 1970.

Sorry, it's kind of blurry.

Old 27 Feb 11, 18:51
Sergeant Major
United_States

Ba Da Secret Zone

Does anyone have a map that shows the Ba Da Secret Zone?

It's my understanding it was east of Lai Khe and west of Zone D. Sounds like south of Puoc Vinh somewhere?

It was probably so secret Ken Jensen didn't know it was there....
Old 27 Feb 11, 22:02
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:

It's my understanding it was east of Lai Khe and west of Zone D. Sounds like south of Puoc Vinh somewhere?

heeheehee, Hell, I didn't know there was any "Secret Zones" until I joined this forum.

If you have a Grid Coord Boonie or I could probably provide a map for you.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 28 Feb 11, 04:36
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Not me sorry Ken, never heard of any Ba Da Secret Zone.
Old 28 Feb 11, 16:25
Sergeant Major
United_States

Quote:

I Googled "Ba Da Secret Zone", and the second choice it gave was the above quoted post. LOL

The first choice was Google Books - American Warrior: A Combat Memoir of Vietnam By John C. Bahnsen, Jr., Wess Roberts, Chapter 51, page 192. There's a narative by (then) Major Andy O'Meara, of the 11th ACR, about the Ba Da Secret Zone. This is where I had read about it.

Apparently there's another "Secret Zone" closer to Vung Tau. I think 9th ID was in this area...
Old 28 Feb 11, 16:43
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The closest Secret Zone from Vung Tau I know of is the Hat Dich (Base Area 303). 9th Inf Div and 1ATF conducted many operations there.
Old 28 Feb 11, 17:35
Sergeant Major
United_States

I was thinking of the May Tao Secret Zone, located in the May Tao mountains, SE of Saigon.

The Mây Tào Mountains are a set of tortoise shaped mountains 45 kilometres north east of Nui Dat and was primarily located in Binh Tuy Province and partly with the Phước Tuy Province and Long Khánh Province. Nui Mây Tào was the topographical junction point for the Long Khánh, Binh Tuy and Phước Tuy provinces.

During the Vietnam War the mountains were used as a headquarters for the VC 5th Division and VC 275th Regiment, known as May Tao Secret Zone and Base Area 300, and was a well developed, heavily dug-in, tunnelled and fortified base area. It had been an NVA HQ and logistics base, training area and hospital zone for many years. As part of Operation Marsden between 1–28 December 1969, the 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment assaulted the complex and constucted a fire support base (FSB Castle) upon one of the mountains, suffering 8 killed during or supporting the operation.
Old 28 Feb 11, 17:41
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

The May Tao was further east on the Binh Tuy border, there's a good map scanned from McGarrigle's Combat Operations: Taking the Offensive on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Op...o_Oct_1967.jpg
Old 28 Feb 11, 18:51
Sergeant Major
United_States

^ Excellent. Seems to be lots of secret zones.

Break Break

Boonierat,

Sorry for hijacking this 'Images' thread. It seems it's run off into maps, etc. Perhaps if there were another thread dedicated to maps, such as 'Vietnam Map Case', or something like that, we could sit around there smoking our pipes, post maps, and scratch our heads about related map features.

Thanks for your efforts here...I certainly enjoy this forum.

Sidewinder CC
Old 28 Feb 11, 20:38
Sergeant
United_States

Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99] Ranger Jim is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
^ Excellent. Seems to be lots of secret zones.

Break Break

Boonierat,

Sorry for hijacking this 'Images' thread. It seems it's run off into maps, etc. Perhaps if there were another thread dedicated to maps, such as 'Vietnam Map Case', or something like that, we could sit around there smoking our pipes, post maps, and scratch our heads about related map features.

Thanks for your efforts here...I certainly enjoy this forum.

Sidewinder CC
Quite so, but I disagree about a thread devoted to maps, per se. Trust me, lad - my degree was in Geography, and (as a Ranger), I looked on my tour in Vietnam as sort of a "field excursion" into applied Military Geography... I can chat on different geodes, survey techniques, spherical vs plane trigonometry, usv. until the water buffalos come home (so to speak).

Boonierat, we seem to be getting into the same realm of discussion as on the Military Terminology thread. Perhaps we should continue the discussion of Secret Zones and that sort of thing there, eh?
Old 01 Mar 11, 05:58
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jim View Post
Boonierat, we seem to be getting into the same realm of discussion as on the Military Terminology thread. Perhaps we should continue the discussion of Secret Zones and that sort of thing there, eh?
The Vietnamese military terms thread you mean Jim?
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!