StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 28 Mar 12, 15:15
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Did you know....

There are two (known) sets of testicles in III CTZ.

The first map section (6331-2) below is of the testicles in the 1st ID TAOR.

And the second map section (6329-4) is of the testicles in the 9th ID TAOR.

Looks like the 1st ID had the biggest testicles. LOL

Keeping track of all the testicles in III CTZ could drive someone nuts.

Old 01 Apr 12, 12:51
Private First Class
Viet_Nam

Rongxanh is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Sorry, but I don't give out my home email address. Could you use a photo imaging host, like Photobucket, and post it here. Boonierat was the one interested in that map.

Thanks
Sorry, because error:

(To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 1 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.)

Please replace "_xxxxx_" by "/"

http:_xxxxx__xxxxx_direct2.anhso.net_xxxxx_origina l_xxxxx_2_xxxxx_27442_xxxxx_142012224631226.jpg
Old 01 Apr 12, 16:22
Major General
Viet_Nam
5 Year Service Ribbon 

altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200] altus is walking in the light [200]
Here you go rongxanh.

Last edited by RichardS; 20 Oct 12 at 16:53.. Reason: Please place large images under a spoiler.
Old 01 Apr 12, 17:23
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks altus and Rongxanh.

1971 map should make Boonierat happy (?)
Old 13 Apr 12, 20:56
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Nha Trang

I'm currently reading the biography of a 5th MSFC officer who was based in Nha Trang from 1967 to 1969. He describes the location of all of the Special Forces' compounds located there in relation to the airbase south of the city. He also fought in the city during Tet 1968 and provides the locales for those battles as well.

Does anyone have a map of Nha Trang circa 1968-70 that I could use to complement the narrative? If not for the city, a provincial map would also be helpful.

Thanks and cheers,
Dan.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)
Old 14 Apr 12, 21:08
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Dan,

Here's some map sections of the Nha Trang area.

The first one is the southern edge of Nha Trang, and the second one is of the northern edge. The maps I have access to are split in this manner. You may not be able to read the small print on these maps, so if you want a specific area let me know the coordinates and I'll zoom in on it and post it.

Old 15 Apr 12, 12:59
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dan, here's a Nha Trang street map dated 1968; enjoy:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/world...trang-1968.jpg
Old 16 Apr 12, 16:32
Colonel
Canada

Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200] Dan M is walking in the light [200]
Guys,

Thanks for your response. I have just what I was looking for.

Cheers,
Dan.

Old 16 Apr 12, 16:57
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
Dan, here's a Nha Trang street map dated 1968; enjoy:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/world...trang-1968.jpg
ROFLOL! Sure it is. Looks more like a VC "plotting" map to me.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.
Old 06 Aug 12, 16:45
Recruit
United_States

fraxure is a balanced individual [0]
SF Camp A-326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonierat View Post
Hard to tell, there was two A-Camps in Hau Nghia Province (where the III CTZ portion of the Plain of Reeds was located) in May 1968: Duc Hue (A-351 at XT 320000900) and Tra Cu (A-352 at XS47759846). Are you sure he was in III CTZ? the majority of the Plain of Reeds (Dong Thap Muoi for the Vietnamese) was in IV CTZ.
The Camp in the picture is A-326 Tra Cu. It's AO went all the way to the Cambodian border. We were the first element to cross the Fence in May, 1970. My Cambode Mercenaries from the 3rd Mobile Strike Force led the way. I was the CO of A-326.
Sponsored Links

Old 06 Aug 12, 17:36
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraxure View Post
The Camp in the picture is A-326 Tra Cu. It's AO went all the way to the Cambodian border. We were the first element to cross the Fence in May, 1970. My Cambode Mercenaries from the 3rd Mobile Strike Force led the way. I was the CO of A-326.
Well then, you can expect a visit from Colonel Shaun Darragh, another of our Green Beenies. He was with the Mike Force, among other things. Perhaps you know him?

I have read the Mobile Guerrilla Force books by James Donahue, which sounds like something similar to what you were involved in.

In any case, welcome to our little corner of the internet. I look forward to reading some of your contributions here. More importantly though:

Thank you for your service in the cause of Freedom for the Vietnamese people
Old 20 Oct 12, 13:48
Private First Class
Viet_Nam

Rongxanh is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraxure View Post
You can see map of A-326 Tra Cu in this link:

http:_xxxxx_thespecialforce.com_xxxxx_maps_xxxxx_m ap_room.htm

Old 20 Oct 12, 14:10
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongxanh View Post
You can see map of A-326 Tra Cu in this link:

http:_xxxxx_thespecialforce.com_xxxxx_maps_xxxxx_m ap_room.htm

I can't get that link you posted to work. Could you post the virgin url, without the X's and underscores.

Thanks
Old 20 Oct 12, 16:53
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
I can't get that link you posted to work. Could you post the virgin url, without the X's and underscores.

Thanks
http://www.thespecialforce.com/maps/map_room.htm

http://www.thespecialforce.com/maps/.../tra_cu_ao.htm

http://www.thespecialforce.com/maps/...ben_cat_ao.htm

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 20 Oct 12, 17:14
Colonel
Canada

Rongxanh and Richard,

Thanks for the link. What a great site!

Cheers,
Dan.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!