StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 01 Nov 11, 09:52
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
Dien Bien Phu

Book: The Undetected Enemy.

Click Photos and Illustrations in left menu to see some maps, etc., of Dien Bien Phu.

http://www.indochinawar.com/overview.html
Old 01 Nov 11, 12:34
General of the Forums - Departed Hero & Friend
United_States
ACG Order of Valiant Honor Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700] KEN JENSEN is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder CC View Post
Happen to stubble upon this site about Alpha Battery, 6/27th Artillary, Quan Loi. Pretty neat map.

http://www.quanloi.org/abattery12one...y%20Layout.htm
WOW "Fly Boy"; thanks for sharing.

One of the BEST sites I've seen. Much, much info. I almost missed clicking on the "Red Dots"; then I decided to go the the "Home Page". WOW! This guy put in one hell of a lot of work. GR8 "stuff".

heeheehee, Look around and go to the "Frenchman's Pool" and the "French Ladies". If I would have seen those at Quan Loi, you never would have gotten back into the Field.

edit: aaaaaah Hell, here are the ladies to get you "guys" interested; I doubt whether most of you would spend the time looking through this guy's site....

http://www.quanloi.org/ABattery15One...h%20Babes2.htm

Hint - make sure to look for the "home page LINK"; normally at bottom of most pages. Much stuff available.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 01 Nov 11 at 12:48..
Old 01 Nov 11, 13:09
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99] Sidewinder CC is on the path to success [1-99]
That is a good site. Spent much time looking at all the pics.

Jim Higgins has some nice photos of our 19th TASS FAC OV-10 Bronco's that were based there.

http://www.quanloi.org/ABattery14One...hotosStart.htm

Come to think of it, those Arty boys must of had alot of free time inorder to take all those pics. Glad they did though.

French Girls...
Old 10 Dec 11, 22:44
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ops Junction City Map

While looking through my old Picasa files just now I ran across this map of Operation Junction City. It came from my files when I was working (retired Feb 2007).

Don't know where the map came from.

Kind of an odd map. Must have been a civilian contrivance. Look at the helicopters on the map.

Old 28 Jan 12, 00:47
Private
Viet_Nam

maxhoffa is on the path to success [1-99]
Ambush at Trung Loi aka Thuan Loi

I would suggest from the info available that the site of the battle was northeast of Chon Thanh, at the hamlet of Thuan Loi, with Trung Loi being an acceptable pronunciation of it. As Chon Thanh is directly north of Saigon, I think the reporter would have most likely got the direction correct, and the mileage (perhaps should have been klicks) incorrect. Thuan Loi is about 50 miles N-N.E. of Saigon, the direction claimed in the article, and appears on map L7014 series 6331 I and, as you can see from the photo attached (from a L701 series map), the bend in the road into the hamlet matches the drawing of the ambush location closely. And they needed to be far enough away to take the 45 mins it took to reach Chon Thanh after leaving the area of the ambush.
I include a photo of the L701 map of the area around Chon Thanh, as sometimes the names change from map series to map series, but there is no Trung Loi, or any likely candidates, as Ken says about the L7014 map, on this map either.

Let me know if you need any other map locations posted... and let me know how to put them in the body of the message.

Ralph in Saigon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9348.JPG (112.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9349.JPG (143.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by maxhoffa; 28 Jan 12 at 12:52.. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links

Old 28 Jan 12, 03:12
Private
Viet_Nam

Quote:
Can't find Trung Loi.

Refer to this story about The Battle of Trung Loi. The battle took place 20 Nov 65 during Operation Bushmaster (I).

Now look at the map showing where The Battle of Trung Loi took place. It's #2 on the map.

Here's a 1965 map (6331-4) of the area that Trung Loi was supposed to be. No Joy. Can't find it.

Kelley's book doesn't have Trung Loi, the TAD only has Chon Thanh, and Wiki is no help.

If there is an After Action Report for Operation Bushmaster there may be a more descript location of Trung Loi.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Sidewinder
It is Thuan Loi to the northeast... I posted a detailed reply below, and I'm still figuring out how to use the forum..
Old 28 Jan 12, 05:09
Private
Viet_Nam

Photo is of Tuyen

Quote:
As a sidebar, do you have a good map of SF camps in III CTZ? I know the camps came and went often so any map would be obsolete at its printing; however, I have a few (that differ) so I figure one more would help pinpoint a camp. Here's a pic of what one of my buds says was the location of a SF camp he was at in May of '68 in the Plain of Reeds but I can't find it on my maps. He says he was told by the grunts that it was a Klick away from the Cambodian border. I've looked at all camps in the Reeds and there's only one that close but doesn't match the pic.

At first he thought it was Hiep Hoa but has changed his mind.

Here's his pics:

This is supposed to be the SF camp...

This is as close as I could get to his pics, but there's no camp on the map, and it's no were near the border.

I think I'll have another beer and forget about this for a bit...

Ken... I spotted your question on where your friend was deployed. He may in fact have been at Tra Cu, but the pics you posted I'm sure show Tuyen Nhon, located on L7014 map 6230 III.

If you look closely at the photos, the canal coming into the river continues at an angle on the other side. It is definately Tuyen Nhon; my map from 1967 even shows the 4 large buildings in a row in the forground in the photo, and the structures running up along the canal. As well there was an road/airstrip along the canal looking from the river (as the other photo does) towards Ap Bac. I include a photo from the Pictomap for the location as well. It even shows the small street between building 3 and 4 in the photo. Pictomaps are 1:25,000 scale, so are 4 times as large as a standard topo.

Let me know if you need help finding locations...I have 3,000 topo maps from the war...and live in Saigon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9346.JPG (164.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9347.JPG (158.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by maxhoffa; 28 Jan 12 at 05:14.. Reason: more info..
Old 30 Jan 12, 17:29
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Ralph,

Here's a tutorial from Boonie on how to post pictures in your posts. Hope it helps.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=55013
Old 07 Feb 12, 20:59
Private
Viet_Nam

Thanks Ken...

I will try to get up to speed on the Forum options... all pretty straightforward it seems. I will try to post an imgage of the Pictomap of the location here... let me know anytime you need map photos... Ralph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 545909886_o.jpg (122.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 07 Feb 12, 21:09
Private
Viet_Nam

one more time...

Looks like I need one more post to be able to include URLs in body of messages.... so this is it...
Old 07 Feb 12, 21:11
Private
Viet_Nam

Photo of map location..

This I hope will show the photo from the Pictomap for your friend's location... Tuyen Nhon.

Old 07 Feb 12, 21:22
Private
Viet_Nam

50's dien bien phu map..

Quote:
Book: The Undetected Enemy.

Click Photos and Illustrations in left menu to see some maps, etc., of Dien Bien Phu.

http://www.indochinawar.com/overview.html
Here are pics from a Viet Minh produced map of the 1950's showing the battle... Ralph

Old 19 Mar 12, 10:41
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snuol Cambodia

Ralph, thank you very much for your detailed input.

Awhile back Boonie was looking for a 1:50,000 map that shows details of the Snuol Cambodia area. Would you happen to have one?

Refer to posts 109, 112, 113, and 115 of this thread.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 22 Mar 12, 13:08
Private First Class
Viet_Nam

Rongxanh is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Ralph, thank you very much for your detailed input.

Awhile back Boonie was looking for a 1:50,000 map that shows details of the Snuol Cambodia area. Would you happen to have one?

Refer to posts 109, 112, 113, and 115 of this thread.

Thanks,

Ken

Let's send to me your email (via PM), i will send it!
Old 28 Mar 12, 15:08
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Sorry, but I don't give out my home email address. Could you use a photo imaging host, like Photobucket, and post it here. Boonierat was the one interested in that map.

Thanks

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!