StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Happening Now > Politics Central

Notices and Announcements

Politics Central An archive of discussions of a political nature that took place here.

Old 14 Jun 12, 09:44
Second Lieutenant
United_States

niikeb is on the path to success [1-99] niikeb is on the path to success [1-99] niikeb is on the path to success [1-99] niikeb is on the path to success [1-99]
Too many people going to college?

Right now, with student debt surging over credit card debt in the USA, with College Dropout rates of 40%, with the increase in college costs, funding for college sports, students staying longer to graduate, and useless degrees...

Are there too many people going to college?

Obviously people that degrees in skill fields (accounting, business, law, engineering, medical) Need the extra study and teaching that college brings to succeed in their fields.

But what about people that get degrees in early childhood education, or any other "fluff" degree.

Are we expecting too much?

Should we be sending people to college just for a liberal arts education?

Should we send more people to trade schools?

Are first grade teachers with Masters degrees any better than ones with out?

Is seeking knowledge that has no real world value something we should encourage at any cost?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 14 Jun 12, 10:56
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Hi

On the whole I would say yes, and its adversely affecting the wider job market and the students themselves.

Some professions and academic pursuits/environments require further education, whilst many of the 'fluff' degrees and their related industries, don't.

Whilst nobody should be denied access to higher education, the perception that is being fostered upon many kids (and parents) is that a life without a degree is less worthy or fruitful. A persons life, success and future happiness shouldn't be measured so early and simplistically.

Its already got to the point that many employers look upon a degree as nothing special, and soon you'll need a PhD to stand out from the degree crowd and so on and so on!

Regards

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Old 14 Jun 12, 11:02
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niikeb View Post
Too many people going to college?
Hell yes! We can't open Starbucks fast enough to keep all the fine-arts majors employed.
Old 14 Jun 12, 11:18
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
On the whole yes, far far too many people are going to college and getting education in areas almost totally unnecessary for their job.

Some examples:

In the medical field for someone to just take blood samples (a phelmbologist I think is the PC term) and do little else requires an associate's degree with courses in human biology, various sciences, etc. All that to take a blood sample! I'd think a couple of week's training at taking blood samples and doing it right along with procedures on what to do if you mess up would be sufficent. The whole medical field is that way now.

Liberal arts: Women's studies, ethnic studies, political science (the favorite of law students for its ease in getting good grades), and a whole host of other arts degrees are only useful for getting a job as assistant night manager at Walgreen's. They are little more than extended high school diplomas.

Even in engineering and business many degree programs are unnecessary. If you can write code in some computer languge you really don't need a four year degree to do it for a job. Unless you are going to be a CPA an accounting degree is unnecessary and a few courses in accounting would suffice.
Old 14 Jun 12, 11:44
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
People enroll for the loans, spend the money, fail their classes, and quit.

I see it every term for the past three years.
"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG
Old 14 Jun 12, 11:46
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Liberal arts: Women's studies, ethnic studies, political science (the favorite of law students for its ease in getting good grades), and a whole host of other arts degrees are only useful for getting a job as assistant night manager at Walgreen's. They are little more than extended high school diplomas.
Really? Poli-sci too? That's kind of harsh. I've had my ass kicked by political science at times, I had no idea it was so easy to get good grades in.

Out of the 6 courses I've taken in that field, only one was "easy" to me. Maybe I'm just dumb though...
"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG
Old 14 Jun 12, 11:48
General of the Forums
United_States

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mann III View Post
Really? Poli-sci too? That's kind of harsh. I've had my ass kicked by political science at times, I had no idea it was so easy to get good grades in.

Out of the 6 courses I've taken in that field, only one was "easy" to me. Maybe I'm just dumb though...
Repeat after me: "you want fries with that?"

Old 14 Jun 12, 11:51
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Repeat after me: "you want fries with that?"

that. I'll go back to the streets before I ever serve fast-food.

Thankfully, my degree choice isn't a bunch of useless gobbledygook.

BoRG
Old 14 Jun 12, 11:54
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Unless you are going to be a CPA an accounting degree
Hi

As a former Group Company Accountant in the UK, a person with a Accounting degree was almost as useless professionally speaking, as a trainee embarking upon their professional accredited board courses/exams.
People who were QTE (Qualified through Experience) were always preferred to those with a Accountancy degree.

Though I'm no longer directly involved in Accountancy work, many of my friends who still are, say that the QTE candidate has been replaced by the Degree holder. This has happened because the perception that the Degree holder is somehow better (and fit some woolly corporate image) than the QTE, thus the QTE's are a rarity these days.

Regards

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Old 14 Jun 12, 11:55
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] 101combatvet has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I had to get shot at to earn my GI Bill. Today, you f'up and become a single parent and Obama flips the bill.
Sponsored Links

Old 14 Jun 12, 11:59
Second Lieutenant
United_States

niikeb is on the path to success [1-99] niikeb is on the path to success [1-99] niikeb is on the path to success [1-99] niikeb is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
thus the QTE's are a rarity these days.
QFT.

Not a lot of people make their way up through work and apprenticeship anymore.
Old 14 Jun 12, 12:03
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900]
Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900] Crash has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Hell yes! We can't open Starbucks fast enough to keep all the fine-arts majors employed.
Some people are just as knowledgeable about the economy as Mitt Romney...who thinks that a government job loss doesn't impact anybody.

Answer me this...so what do you think the kids would do instead of going to school?

The sad part about the great recession is kids took it on the chin....not only did their fathers leave them with trillions in debt they also left them underemployed and/or forcing them to take on student debt because little opportunity exists outside of school.

Bravo!
Old 14 Jun 12, 12:07
General of the Forums
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
I had to get shot at to earn my GI Bill. Today, you f'up and become a single parent and Obama flips the bill.
I went back to school under Bush Jr. The rules for financial aid haven't changed much. Lots of bums, convicts, burnouts taking their shot at the American dream.

That's how I got in - the government gave me a chance, despite my failures in life.

And Obama ain't flippin' my bill. I'll be up to my armpits in debt when I get finish my education. He's not going to cover it. Nor the Mittens-man either.

And yeah, some of that money is wasted on people who won't finish or won't be employable after college, but that's the collateral damage for adding successful students to the workplace. Kind of like when a few civilians bite it when a terrorist gets nuked or whatever.

BoRG
Old 14 Jun 12, 12:10
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Some people are just as knowledgeable about the economy as Mitt Romney...who thinks that a government job loss doesn't impact anybody.

Answer me this...so what do you think the kids would do instead of going to school?
Who told 'em to go to NYU -- one of the most expensive schools on the planet -- to major in film?

Quote:
The sad part about the great recession is kids took it on the chin....not only did their fathers leave them with trillions in debt they also left them underemployed and/or forcing them to take on student debt because little opportunity exists outside of school.

Bravo!
And yet Con-Way Trucking is having such a hard time filling slots that they're paying for applicants' CDL's -- for a job that starts at $45,000/yr.

Perhaps the little sh*ts think themselves too good to drive a truck or something. Lord knows that we've all seen plenty of that. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time taking seriously those who protest poverty and debt while chatting on their iphones and wearing True Religion Jeans.
Old 14 Jun 12, 12:11
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:

Bravo!
Lets see, the kids who are working in star bucks now after a 4 year degree would still be working in star bucks with less loans.

And the government is bloated, a lot of government workers produce nothing.

It can use some trimming.

The government can pay people $50k a year to dig holes and pay other people $50k a year to fill those in.

It's not productive.

We need more people being productive.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!