StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Happening Now > Politics Central

Notices and Announcements

Politics Central An archive of discussions of a political nature that took place here.

Old 12 Jun 12, 14:31
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
My *country*, right or wrong... Damn straight.

The *Federal gov't*, right or wrong... No effing way.
Old 12 Jun 12, 14:34
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
I was born an American, and I aim to live as a patriotic, God-fearing American, and I intend to die an American.

God has been gracious in bestowing upon me a great blessing, which is to be born in a country that despite all its warts and flaws remain the greatest country ever to exist on this planet. I am thankful for this great blessing, and I acknowledge that I do not deserve this, but having obtained this great blessing, it is my patriotic duty to love and honor America, no matter how good or bad the government is.

With this saying, let me proclaim to the whole world, live long America! God save America!

May America always truimph over her enemies, from within and without.

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Chieftain Iosephus Namathus of Brigantes, Eagles Deux

"I am Britannia!"
Old 12 Jun 12, 15:23
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600] Naffenea is simply cracking [600]
I support my country. Support of the government varies.
Old 12 Jun 12, 15:26
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
Or as Jesse Ventura says,'I love my country,but I fear my government.'
Old 12 Jun 12, 15:56
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebpreacher View Post
What he said.
Problem is, Doc is wrong. The Federal government is for all practical purposes the nation of America.

Wrongdoing is therefore the result of improper government actions - not the American people, especially when the government is no longer in touch with, or responsive to, the voices of the people.

Old 12 Jun 12, 15:57
General of the Forums
United_States

That is why we're running,correct?
Old 12 Jun 12, 17:08
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebpreacher View Post
That is why we're running,correct?
Correct.
Old 12 Jun 12, 17:13
General of the Forums
United_States

Gotcha. as I said,I can be as crazy(even crazier) than Biden.
Old 12 Jun 12, 17:24
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Interesting subject, answers quite dependant on one’s definitions (as with so many things)

Quote:
Are you willing to support your country when it is doing wrong?
The country can refer to many things. Is it the state, with its government, is it the people who occupy it, or is it the socio-cultural, territorial amalgam, the nation? The question would seem to suggest an emphasis on the political direction, those in power and what they may be up to. However, I do not see that as the sum of the ‘country’. The country itself is made up of so much more. I have no qualms with many of the aspects which make up the country I reside in, but may have stern disagreements with the government. Furthermore I cannot say easily that I support ‘my nation’ as there is not one, I live in a state composed of multiple national groups identified along territorial lines.

I ‘support’ Britain, as a country in the perhaps loose way I define it. It is where I live, what benefits it, I too tend to benefit from. I greatly revere it for a great many reasons; most of my family is from these isles, made up of better men than I, who went through much worse than I hope I shall, in its name to make it a better place. Governments can come and go, and do good things, and bad things, and I will not support a number of those governments, but the country, if it is separated from the political actions of the government of the day, is somewhat limited of ‘right and wrong’ action, as without that element, it cannot act. To put it another way, should I disagree with the actions of the government, I do not come to loath the cultural, social, or even scenic or other physical aspects of the land I enjoy inhabiting. Having said that there are the levels of politics to be taken into consideration. To reach out for a rough parallel; were I American I would probably enjoy the political tradition of the US but not agree with a certain government in power and its policies.
It would take a lot to make me fear a government, but not much to make me distrust one.

Quote:
To what limit will you support your country?
Basing a view on the above, there is little cause to not ‘support’ what makes up my definition of country. Would I support the political consciousness of the country as based in an elected representative to a certain limit? Of course, I’d have my limits to their behaviour which I would support. I do not, fortunately, know that limit as I have not yet really seen it, despite a number of issues which annoy or vex me, which may be policy of the day.

Quote:
Is there a certain point where you would emigrate?
I have emigrated before, to here, and this was because my father wished to return to his home land and also it was much better for his business and a safer place. I have done most of my growing up here. However, I would seriously consider leaving here should there be certain constitutional changes or divisions; both of which would render this country I inhabit something other than what it is and have a knock on effect why I enjoy it, why I would consider myself a patriot. I would also consider economic emigration quite happily, as we have done this before, I am no stranger to it, and I would directly benefit. However, I would no doubt consider myself still of this place, where all my really formative teenage and young adult years were, and a place I very much enjoy, than being of wherever I would find myself for the advancement of my business, should I launch one, be that back in SA, or in the US- which I have considered moving to for a number of reasons of late- or wherever. And that is meant with certainly no disrespect to citizens of the US, a place I love, but could not consider myself of, from where I am now stood. Could that change should I move to live there? Perhaps. I’m a big fan of Teddy Roosevelt’s idea that; there is no such thing as a Hyphenated American, I think that stands for anywhere, not just the US. Though I don’t honestly know where I would rest that sense belonging, should I move to another place, after wondering on this when I was younger.

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 12 Jun 12, 17:33
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
No. That's the road to tyranny.
Exactly. Americans can be as tyrannical as anyone. I support my country only as long as it deserves and earns that support.
Old 12 Jun 12, 17:34
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Problem is, Doc is wrong. The Federal government is for all practical purposes the nation of America.

Wrongdoing is therefore the result of improper government actions - not the American people, especially when the government is no longer in touch with, or responsive to, the voices of the people.
The people are responsible for their government. We have the government we deserve.
Old 12 Jun 12, 18:22
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200] 2nd Rangers is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah772 View Post
I was born an American, and I aim to live as a patriotic, God-fearing American, and I intend to die an American.

God has been gracious in bestowing upon me a great blessing, which is to be born in a country that despite all its warts and flaws remain the greatest country ever to exist on this planet. I am thankful for this great blessing, and I acknowledge that I do not deserve this, but having obtained this great blessing, it is my patriotic duty to love and honor America, no matter how good or bad the government is.

With this saying, let me proclaim to the whole world, live long America! God save America!

May America always truimph over her enemies, from within and without.

Dan
Well stated Dan.

Sadly, I see a polarized nation unlike anything witnessed since the Civil War. I trust we will resolve these differences peacefully however I am no longer confident that we will.
Old 12 Jun 12, 18:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800] Nichols gives and gets respect [800]
I support the US Constitution.

If the Constitution loses its authority, I would move. We don't elect what we deserve, we allow the elected to twist the Constitution to serve what they feel is for the good of the party and the people.
Old 12 Jun 12, 19:02
General of the Forums
Pirate
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

Merriam-Webster Thesaurus entry for the noun "country"...
Quote:
1. the land of one's birth, residence, or citizenship <a great love for my country>
Synonyms fatherland, home, homeland, mother country, motherland, sod

[...]

3. a body of people composed of one or more nationalities usually with its own territory and government <usually in time of war, the whole country unites behind the president>
Synonyms commonwealth, country, land, sovereignty (also sovranty), state\

[...]

Our country/nation has a gov't. Our country/nation does not consist of our gov't.

The question was, "Do you support your country Right or Wrong?"

My country was wrong to elect a Democrat majority in Congress in 2006. My country was wrong to elect Maobama in 2008. I didn't stop supporting my country... However, I have done everything in my power to bring about a change in its gov't.
Old 12 Jun 12, 19:03
General of the Forums
Pirate
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Doctor has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
The people are responsible for their government. We have the government we deserve.
That's why we have a responsibility to correct our mistakes.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!