StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Happening Now > Politics Central

Notices and Announcements

Politics Central An archive of discussions of a political nature that took place here.

Old 16 Mar 12, 13:55
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
On some military websites they have moved contentious off topic sections to the bottom of there homepage.
This relatively minor change actually saw some members who weren't (that) active in the historical sections become more so, as they weren't immediately sidelined in the Politics/off topic sections.

Regards

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Old 16 Mar 12, 13:59
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Such that PC is not so near the top of the page of a Historical Community - thus showing in the 1st glance of the page - I have moved Happening Now (including PC) to below the Current Events section.

When I couldn't find it just now in its usual place, I thought you might have removed it altogether in a fit of pique.

Philip
Old 16 Mar 12, 14:21
ACG Forums - Guardiano di Roma
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Happening Now remains along side Current Events as occasionally - when very serious or Earth shaking happenings occur - we put a through Link to its most prolifically informative thread in there. Recent examples were the Libya hostilities & Japanese Tsunami. Politics is very much the cutting edge of all things military as it unfolds. Just because some folks hate it by its nature does not change that fact, nor make it just a bin to be thrown to the most unseen part of the house. When THAT happens, Staff again becomes so involved in Movements & Warnings as to defeat the entire reason & purpose it actually serves - to keep Historical Forums Historical while allowing for the unfolding of history to occur.

I am involved in a Forum of Website & Forums Administrators to such extent that a huge deal of global experience is available. In such discussions of this particular topic it is most apparent that trying to marginalize, shun or shame the politically inclined forum - here simply used & provided such as to naturally sequester it by its topicality - the section created actually becomes MORE popular & contentious. When such places do not exist & discussion of current politics are not allowed the entire Staff is, again, relegated to Cops scouring the neighbourhoods & raising cain about it. Not only does that lead to arguments, but even greater anguish propagates as each seeks to marginalize solely by playing upon Forum Rules. The ACG Staff is entirely made up of unpaid Volunteers - Myself Included - and from our very beginnings 8 years ago, we refuse to become Riot Cops, much less Beat Cops. That is why we do not use the term Moderators - we are Staff & deal with Forum issues collectively & individually as Staff. No Jack Boots Allowed! As for me, I am little more than the Custodian (Janitor) that came from & is 1st - before anything else - a fellow citizen of this little berg somewhere on the cyber-highway of the world.

Again, If PC or any other Forum here at ACG bugs ya, go to your User CP & remove it from your Forums Roster.

Easy Peasy Japanesey!

ACG History Today

BoRG

Last edited by Admiral; 16 Mar 12 at 14:30..
Old 16 Mar 12, 14:30
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300]
This is where I get my "politics fix."

But I do post in other forums from time to time...honest.

Tim
Old 16 Mar 12, 15:59
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Whatever caused your change, I am almost sure it wasn't the politics section here nor anything like it. Telling people that their POV is stupid and therefor they must be stupid, too, is quite ineffective in swaying their opinion, surprising considering how often it is attempted. I also was for more left-leaning in the past, my view was changed by a friend who reasonably explained his believes to me over quite a long time, not trashing mine.
The Politics Forum here at ACG definitely contributed to that. I've learned a lot here. Doc's graphs are always enlightening, although sometimes I wish he would take more time to explain them more for us mathematically challenged people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplaos View Post
When I couldn't find it just now in its usual place, I thought you might have removed it altogether in a fit of pique.

Philip
That's what I thought too, I almost had a panic attack!

Old 16 Mar 12, 16:15
General of the Forums
Pirate

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
Why Post In The Politics Section? I mean really?

I have never really read one post here that tries to convert one person to another POV.
Its all negative campaigning.
Nothing is really achieved.
Everyone appears to state a particular viewpoint without really listening to any reply.

The left are lib-tards, eco-marxists, commie-bastard baby murderers?
The right are gun-nut, greedy, hypocritical, self serving, religeous fanatics?
At least from what I think I've read amongst all the ravings.

So why post here? What does anyone really aim to achieve?
For me, I like debating. Also Nick take a look at the thread count. Ever notice how we have lots of replies but TONS of view hits. Those who engage will of course rarely change their minds. But the listeners might. So if there's a point I feel strongly on I'll debate it, even if the guy at the other end would never concede a point.
Old 16 Mar 12, 16:34
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
Quote:

Are you asking a question? If so, the answer is, Yes.
Old 16 Mar 12, 16:37
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Emtos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Old 16 Mar 12, 16:43
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtos View Post
A phenomenon you're guilty of on a regular basis.
Old 16 Mar 12, 16:44
General of the Forums
Pirate

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Anyone here with a high post count is pretty much guilty.
Old 16 Mar 12, 16:46
General of the Forums
United_States

majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200] majormack is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
In the process of organizing one's thoughts so that they can be meaningfully posted is not wasted effort. As we write we render concepts so that can be communicated.

I also enjoy reading what conservatives think and believe. The difference between Libs and Conservatives becomes obvious when they respond to my posts. Again this is not a waste of my time.

We on the left and right are engaged in a battle for control of the American Way of life. Either we become a government run, bureaucratic hegemony, or a country run by free people who have the opportunity to seek success on their own. Big government creates waste, rot and poverty; a free people produce success, productivity, economy and wealth.

This is worth fighting for and creating posts helps.
Old 16 Mar 12, 18:29
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600] Cult Icon is simply cracking [600]
This forum is amusing to me, as the POVs displayed are from a curious blend of demographics.

It's

5% radical left wing/hard left
5% mainstream liberal
20 % International perspective or Center
40% Conservative Christian
30 % libertarian/Radical right wing libertarian/survivorist/gold & silver bug/Aluminum can collector/Ron Paul/Obama the Great Satan/our Guns/ Rural Type, etc.

As for the Americans:

70% Red State/ Small Town White America/Rural

30% Other

And..

30% Ex-military/military

Quote:

I have never really read one post here that tries to convert one person to another POV.
Its all negative campaigning.
Nothing is really achieved.
Everyone appears to state a particular viewpoint without really listening to any reply.

The right are gun-nut, greedy, hypocritical, self serving, religeous fanatics?
At least from what I think I've read amongst all the ravings.

Old 16 Mar 12, 19:01
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
Anyone here with a high post count is pretty much guilty.
And those with a low post count are apathetic losers, right? And what does that make the hordes of lookie-loos? Those legions of no-seeums, no-postums?

Some people have something to say...most don't and let others do their thinking for them. Guess everyone has to decide which one they are and act accordingly.

But forget about "changing anyone's mind". I don't want to change anyone's mind, because if we all thought alike, where would be the fun in that? I already know what I think - I'm interested in trying to find out what the rest of you think.

I expect the next burning question to be "Why does anyone post anything anywhere on this forum" - following the same logic.

Same reason people climb Mt. Everest - because it's there!
Old 16 Mar 12, 19:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplaos View Post

Philip
Me too.

I wondered which of us had pissed Wes off this time.
during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
Old 16 Mar 12, 19:06
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Cyberknight has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Happening Now remains along side Current Events as occasionally - when very serious or Earth shaking happenings occur - we put a through Link to its most prolifically informative thread in there. Recent examples were the Libya hostilities & Japanese Tsunami. Politics is very much the cutting edge of all things military as it unfolds. Just because some folks hate it by its nature does not change that fact, nor make it just a bin to be thrown to the most unseen part of the house. When THAT happens, Staff again becomes so involved in Movements & Warnings as to defeat the entire reason & purpose it actually serves - to keep Historical Forums Historical while allowing for the unfolding of history to occur.

I am involved in a Forum of Website & Forums Administrators to such extent that a huge deal of global experience is available. In such discussions of this particular topic it is most apparent that trying to marginalize, shun or shame the politically inclined forum - here simply used & provided such as to naturally sequester it by its topicality - the section created actually becomes MORE popular & contentious. When such places do not exist & discussion of current politics are not allowed the entire Staff is, again, relegated to Cops scouring the neighbourhoods & raising cain about it. Not only does that lead to arguments, but even greater anguish propagates as each seeks to marginalize solely by playing upon Forum Rules. The ACG Staff is entirely made up of unpaid Volunteers - Myself Included - and from our very beginnings 8 years ago, we refuse to become Riot Cops, much less Beat Cops. That is why we do not use the term Moderators - we are Staff & deal with Forum issues collectively & individually as Staff. No Jack Boots Allowed! As for me, I am little more than the Custodian (Janitor) that came from & is 1st - before anything else - a fellow citizen of this little berg somewhere on the cyber-highway of the world.

Again, If PC or any other Forum here at ACG bugs ya, go to your User CP & remove it from your Forums Roster.

Easy Peasy Japanesey!

Not for nothing, but I can tell you from my experience on some other forums, the mods on ACG are hands down the best those who have shared these expereinces with have ever seen.

Not too limiting but putting up with no abuse.
during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!