StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion

Notices and Announcements

American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion Military history of North America. .

Old 08 Oct 17, 01:03
Brigadier General
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
First, the American colonies were treated as colonies, not as an integral part of Great Britain. Slavery was not the issue, but being treated as Englishmen and not merely colonists.
Second, the southern states were an integral part of the US and they had no right to either rebel or secede. Slavery was the issue.
I hear the North tried to impose its will on the South, heck even before the war they manned Fort Sumter with Union troops smack in the middle of Charleston harbor, what cheek! So no wonder the good ole boys were miffed!..
Old 08 Oct 17, 01:08
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
There seems to be something wrong with my monitor display settings mate, I swear you just said you admire Muhammad and Islam..
I have only one response.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 08 Oct 17, 02:41
Brigadier General
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Hey Bwaha, your post is a complete blank on my monitor, look-

Old 08 Oct 17, 05:15
Second Lieutenant
UK

jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99] jf42 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
even before the war they manned Fort Sumter with Union troops smack in the middle of Charleston harbor

Tactless, really.

Might it have had anything to do with US troops garrisoning a US government defence installation in one of the nation's principal harbours?
Old 08 Oct 17, 08:39
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
There seems to be something wrong with my monitor display settings mate, I swear you just said you admire Muhammad and Islam..
Mate recently an Iraqi officer was taped training his countrymen saying the early Muslims stood with Christians and Jews united as one hand. The great men of history such as Bonaparte, Voltaire, and Gandhi admired Muhammad...actually Voltaire said Muhammad and Confucius were among the worlds greatest leaders.

Here we are itt discussing the effect of religion...Let me ask you because you are openly against Muslims in general. What do you think about the view that Asians are superior in math, or that Jews are better in banking or that Jews succeed over Christians in contributions to society? <--Are these views not the issue friend?

Otoh the view that Muhammad was a great man is shared by Christian men and women of history. I urge you friend to side with the loving and rightful societies of history, that of for example the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem and the French Empire.

When we hear someone say Asians are better at math therefore its ok to point out that certain "races" are better then others...this is the view that is a threat to society where as clearly the views that billions of humans have which celebrate numerous cultures is the way to go. The view that that religion is bad, or that Muhammad was a violent conqueror, these are very specific arguments from alt righters and anarchists and they are opposed by the worlds good Muslims, Jews and Christians.

When a religion like any of the 3 religions of Abraham have brought great men and women of history to build Empires...we should admire the said religions. I have the utmost respect for the Muslim concept of Jihad, a Holy war if you will a fight for what is right sort of like the Christian concepts of King Arthur, Robin Hood, the Knight of the Swan..I think its one of the most unfortunate things in the world when a religion or great empire of history is criticized. I have shown before quotes from historic leaders praising Muhammad. Of course a figure so incredible, handsome and loving as Muhammad is cherished around the world...and those whom oppose Muhammad are the same types that would throw the Roman Empire and other great societies of history to the dustbin.

Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 08 Oct 17 at 08:50..
Old 08 Oct 17, 14:14
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
..you are openly against Muslims in general..
I wish there was a Religion section in AG so we could go into greater depth on the subject, how about it mods?
I'm against ALL Jesus-rejecters no matter what their religion, race or creed, including atheists..
I'll always be polite towards them but no way could I ever want to call them friend or invite them round for tea and biscuits.
Jesus said- "Love God, love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor" (Mark 12:30, John 13:34, Matt 25:37-40)

so if anybody rejects that, I reject them, fair enough?
Anyway other religions haven't got Jesus the Son of God himself in them, so they're about as much use as a boxed set of rock n' roll videos without Elvis in there, right Elv?

"Uh-huh"
Old 08 Oct 17, 14:52
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pirateship1982 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nope. I think it's safe to flag Spike as a troll. His arguments are tailored around being as offensive as possible but his presented ideology is inconsistent and he argues like a stereotype instead of a three dimensional person. It is sounding increasingly contrived and less sincere with every post.

He's just messing with us.
Old 08 Oct 17, 14:57
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I wish there was a Religion section in AG so we could go into greater depth on the subject, how about it mods?
I'm against ALL Jesus-rejecters no matter what their religion, race or creed, including atheists..
I'll always be polite towards them but no way could I ever want to call them friend or invite them round for tea and biscuits.
Jesus said- "Love God, love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor" (Mark 12:30, John 13:34, Matt 25:37-40)

Anyway other religions haven't got Jesus the Son of God himself in them, so they're about as much use as a boxed set of rock n' roll videos without Elvis in there, right Elv?

"Uh-huh"
Son of God...sure.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 08 Oct 17, 21:38
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Son of God...sure.
Think in modern scientific terms mate, "God" might simply be the leader of an alien race who beamed Jesus down to us to tell us to get our act together-
Jesus said - "For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)
Or don't you believe scientists who estimate there are thousands of intelligent alien races out there?..

"According to Drake, the average of people's best estimates suggests that there are about 10,000 technically advanced civilisations spread across our galaxy"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/u...drake_equation

Old 08 Oct 17, 21:41
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
Spike...argues like a stereotype instead of a three dimensional person..
MWAAH! now I'm just a flat 2D hologram illusion (sniffle)..

Sponsored Links

Old 12 Oct 17, 05:59
Brigadier General
UK

Just been reading about Wovoka the 'Paiute Messiah' who preached that-

"God told me to come back and tell my people they must be good and love one another, and not fight, or steal or lie."
http://viewzone.com/wovoka.html

I dunno if Christian missionaries influenced him but he sounds alright..
Old 12 Oct 17, 16:48
Lieutenant General
United_States

Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100] Stonewall_Jack has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:

"Uh-huh"
I honestly do not get the tone of your post whether its meant to be serious or sarcastic because fwiw I was 100% serious in my previous post itt. That said, you did make some strong statements above so I will take you as being sincere.

Well where to start...what do you mean when you say

Do you mean you theologically disagree with non Christians or that for example you would not hire a non Christian to work at a business you owned?
Old 12 Oct 17, 19:21
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
Well where to start...what do you mean when you say
Do you mean you theologically disagree with non Christians or that for example you would not hire a non Christian to work at a business you owned?
As I've said before, we really need a separate Religious Discussion section at AG for those who want it because it's such a deep and often emotive subject.
I've been doing the rounds of the internet Religion forums for the past 15 years and I get good feedback from my fans, for example-
Spannerose - "I would like you to know that the result of reading your posts I am left with the desire to pick up my bible for the first time in years"
Kierri - "That was one of the best explanations I've ever heard! Yay!"
Haimehenmmli - "I LOVE IT MATE!!! I'm going to put it into my files, with some of my other favorites, from you"
Devilmademedoit2 - "I love this! Thanks!"
Beekpr9 - "Amen to all you have said!"
Saipan1777 - "Spot on, bravo"
Duke Tinn - "Thanks again.Great Stuff"
Apple Pie - "Come on over to 4church, we could do with your input and your humour"

On the other side of the coin I get hate mail from some atheists AND from some religious fanatics, but that's another story..

To briefly answer your question without offending anybody, Jesus had awesome God-given powers and could do things that even David Blaine can't, so all open-minded people naturally find him fascinating, and they're my kind of people.
As regards hiring a nonchristian, yes I would IF he was the only applicant, but if I had a choice of applicants, I'd hire the christian because I know he/she would never let me down, it's strictly business..

Below, what a man! Jesus rescues a naughty girl from the stone-throwing fanatic mob-

"On yer bikes, she's with me!
Hold your head up baby!"
"Thanks JC, shall we go for a pizza?"

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 12 Oct 17 at 19:31..
Old 12 Oct 17, 20:48
Major General
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Marmat gives and gets respect [800]
Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800] Marmat gives and gets respect [800]
Really?

Quote:
Just been reading about Wovoka the 'Paiute Messiah' who preached that-

"God told me to come back and tell my people they must be good and love one another, and not fight, or steal or lie."
http://viewzone.com/wovoka.html

I dunno if Christian missionaries influenced him but he sounds alright..
I expected you to be more inclined towards the "Tonto is Jesus" crowd?

Actually by the 1660-1670's, large numbers of Iroquoians and Algonquians had been converted to Christianity, by French Jesuits, Recollets and Capuchins. Initially firearms could only be sold to FN people that had converted to Christianity; the Dutch, Swedes then English armed their's regardless. A large proportion of the Seven Nations of Canada Confederacy was Christian i.e. Roman Catholic, largely moving from what is now northern NY state, where the Onieda was one of the few with a Protestant mission. As trade moved west, even Siouan peoples accepted RC missions and trading posts, before 1700, until politics intervened. Moravian Missionaries picked up where the French left off.
Old 13 Oct 17, 01:39
Brigadier General
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmat View Post
Actually by the 1660-1670's, large numbers of Iroquoians and Algonquians had been converted to Christianity...A large proportion of the Seven Nations of Canada Confederacy was Christian...even Siouan peoples accepted RC missions and trading posts..
Dunno if Tonto is actually Jesus, but he was certainly "part-Jesus" like everybody else who takes Jesus on board, just like he said-
"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)

No wonder the red men and all sensible people everywhere can't help being attracted to the magnetic personality of Jesus..

1- "Just you stick with me chum"
2- "Thanks JC, you're my main man"
3- "Hey kiddo, why do you bother talking to riffraff like him?"
4- "On yer bikes you numbnuts!"

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 13 Oct 17 at 01:49..

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!