StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Orders of Battle

Notices and Announcements

Orders of Battle Orders-of-battle, TO&E's, and related information on who fought where and what they brought to the battle.

Old 03 Jan 07, 14:15
Major General
Scotland
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99] thomas.tmcc is on the path to success [1-99]
mike force (vietnam )TO&Es

hi posting this for a friend anyone help ? ...

posted it on the vietnam threads too ...

thomas

I'm completing an Osprey on the MIKE Forces. I had access to many of the
different MIKE Forces' monthly operational summaries, after action reports, and
other documents for research. They contained very few TOEs though. I have
some, but could use more. I've found no TOEs for combat recon platoons (CRPs),
headquarters companies, and there are gaps in rifle company TOEs.

If anyone has anything I'd appreciate seeing it.

Thanks much in advance.

Gordo

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 28 Nov 08, 20:25
Second Lieutenant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100] rotorwash has demonstrated strength of character [100]
You may already have this info, so at the risk of being redundant -

July 1965 a mobile strike force (MIKE Force) was authorized for each of the four C detachments and a fifth for 5th SF Group in Nha Trang.

Each was battalion-sized with a small headquarters element and five 198 man companies totalling 598 men.

Two of the five never even came close to being fully manned and ended up having three companies instead of five.

All were airborne qualified by Sept 1967 and the 5th made two combat jumps. (they had to be lifted by two GI's to hook up their static lines)

Organization and equipment was never consistent, usually modified by the commander to fit the capabilites of his troops and the needs of a special mission, although they were armed as light infantry, no mortars HMG's, etc.

An SF A team often augmented by Australians was in command of each force. The purpose of these teams was reaction support for CIDG camps although they were used for a lot of other things. They went out heavily armed, lots of ammo and grenades, very few creature comforts, to be landed close to the scene of the action. hit hard and be done with it.

Additional MIKE Force companies of 150 men each with an additional 35 man recon platoon were created in each of the four corps areas for the Mobile Guerrilla Forces.

These units were to conduct guerrilla warfare in the areas outside of the AO's of the CIDG camps. These were the "Black Jack" missions. They stayed out for long periods of time and would be resupplied every five days by A1 Skyraiders dropping supplies in modified napalm containers.

You can see the confusion that arises when someone just mentions Mike Force.

Rotorwash
Old 27 Jul 09, 00:49
Recruit
United_States

Cork130 is on the path to success [1-99]
I see that your post is rather old but as a Member of the MIKE Force in the Delta (A-404 Air-boats) I might be of some help.

Let me know if you are still interested.

Thanks for the interest.

Cork
Old 20 Sep 09, 11:31
Private
United_States

BenjaminL is on the path to success [1-99]
Mtoe

Hmm, According to what I can garner from the Book BlackJack-33

An MTOE was highly varied, taylored to Mission

M4(Car-15's) 10-12 Magazines
M14's 8-10 magazines
M1 Carbine's 14-16 Magazines??
1911A1 .45 ACP

Webgear, Belt,Shoulder Harness, fanny back on back of belt, canteen pouches, ammo pouches, gernade pouches

Time Pencils
Claymoores,

Gernades: Frag, Smoke,Willie Pete
Carabiner, rope, 550 chord,

Boonie hat, or Patrol Cap,

Assault Pack,
C-Rations
Various Meds
Mirror, Flashlight, Dagger/Knife(Bayonet)
2 Canteens, or possibly more.
C-4 , some used to start fires, Match's.
Grease Pencil, map, Overlay,
Flare's,Flare gun,
LAW Rocket 1/2

Not everyone would have everything,

Just think about it,

Jungle Boots, 4 days socks??5, Underwear, Undershirts, second set BDU's
Foot Powder, Musquitoe Repelant (but possibly not, smell??),

Cigarette smoking was not allowed but not always followed,

Electronic Detonators, Mechanical Detonators
~300 Rounds

Camoflage Face paint,
Waterproof Bag,

Commo Gear, Man protable Radio (which means they also had?? a re-trans at MCP(Mobile Command Post) somewhere between LRP and FireBase
CP had larger Field Radio
Old 20 Sep 09, 20:54
General
United_States

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Osprey published a volume on the MIKE Force in 2007. The Author was Gordon Rottman, who covered the MIKE Forces a bit in his much earlier Osprey book, Vietnam Airborne. Some points:

The (five) MIKE Forces underwent constant change throughout the war. In mid-1968 the II Corps MIKE Force (B-20) had nine combat companies and a reconnaissance company. There was no II Corps Mobile Guerrilla Force, nor were there any "Eagle Flights" left, though we had several Yards who still wore Eagle Flight combat patches. By the end of 1968, II Corps MIKE Forces included B-20 with its subordinate A Teams, organized into three battalions. Separate MIKE Force battalions had been established at Kontum, Ban Me Thuot, and Qui Nhon. These were under the direct control of the various B Teams, then commanded by Lieutenant Colonels. (B-24 at Kontum, B-23 at Ben Me Thuot, and B-22 at Qui Nhon.) Sometime in 1969, the Qui Nhon MIKE Force companies were disbanded, and the 4th (Kontum) and 5th (Ban Me Thuot) battalions came under the command (less Operational Control) of B-20, except that fighting that year (notably Ben Het and Bu Prang) tended to put those battalions directly under B-20's operational control. It should be noted that for a short time in 1969, the entire B-20 MIKE Force was under the command of an Aussie Major. Which brings to mind another point. The SF A Team was the nucleus of a battalion, not an MF company. The Captain and senior NCOs functioned as the Battalion HQs, and the remaining Non-Commissioned Officers were reinforced with Australian Warrants and the occasional officer to fill out the company cadres. One of my trips out to a battalion in October 1968 showed me a Captain "Ski" commanding the battalion, a Master Sergeant McBroome functioning as his S-2/S-3, and two Commo Operators providing communication. Security was provided by a couple of Yard platoons. The battalion was set up an abandoned SF camp from the 65 period.

The Vietnamese Special Forces of 1968-69 were trying to wrest control of the MIKE Forces from the USSF. Two huge obstacles stood in their way. The first of these was the histories they had with the Yards and Cambodians. The South Vietnamese actually had several hundred years of a positive common history with the Yards during the Dang Trong period under the Nguyen Lords. However Minh Mang and Vietnamese 19th Century ultra-nationalism had killed any good will that might have survived from that period. Montagnards, more specifically FULRO affiliated Montagnards, were the backbone of the II Corps MIKE Force, and were well represented in the smaller I Corps MIKE Force. As for the Cambodians, other than Nungs, the III and IV Corps MIKE Forces were composed of Khmer Serai troops (B-36) and Khmer Kampuchea Krom troops (IV Corps). Both of these were loyal to the Front for the Struggle of KKK, whose very existence challenged the legality of Vietnamese occupation of the Mekong Delta, or "lower Cambodia" (Kampuchea Krom). The second factor running against Vietnamese assumption of command of the MIKE Forces was that they were running out of time. The continuing escalation of the war sent the MIKE Forces into larger battles which required a higher level of training, C2, and supporting arms which they did not have, and which the Vietnamese were unlikely to provide. Furthermore, they were supposed to fight in defense of a state who continued existence was inimical to their own national interests. The only good thing that could be said about the RVN, from a Yard or Khmer perspective, is that it wasn't as bad as the alternative. Then Lon Nol's coup in Cambodia, which had Khmer Krom support, required troops to guarantee it's survival. And the very best Khmer Krom troops dispatched there came from the III and IV Corps MIKE Forces, followed by the best of the Camp Strike Forces who went through the FANK program.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 21 Sep 09, 01:10
Marshal of ACG
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build 

Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Boonierat has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Lou, do you know anything of the training of the FANK battalions at Long Hai? was it supervised by the 5th SFGA?
Old 24 Sep 09, 15:27
General
United_States

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Thumbs up

Well, I believe it set up as a separate training mission, as the 5th SFG was winding down to go home. The USARV ITG had some 4 A Teams, with a Hqs at Bien Hoa, in the old Co A 5th SFG compound. The A Teams ran training camps at Long Hai, Chi Lang, Puuc Tuy, and Dong Ba Tinh (the LLDB national training center between Cam Ran bay and Dien Khanh). As training requirements gres, Teams were sent in TDY from the 1st Special Forces Group on Okinawa. The name was changed to FANK Training Command, US Army Advisory Group, Vietnam. I believe Shelby Stanton was with the FANK program, as was Ben Aikens, if he's still around. Ben's very self-important, but his info should be good. It used to be easy to see who had been in the FANK program. They all wore the Cambodian parachutist badge. These days, they're probably all long retired.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 13 Dec 14, 22:07
Recruit
United_States

Virgil Carter is on the path to success [1-99]
I manage the I Corps Mike Force history site on Facebook and the I Corps Mike Force Timeline on Tiki-Tock.

I can't list the URLs here because I haven't yet made 5 posts (seems a rather arbitrary regulation), so if interested contact me and I'll forward the URLs. Alternatively, you can probably Google them successfully.

Best,
Virgil

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!