StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 01 Feb 12, 12:48
First Sergeant
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

bill shack is on the path to success [1-99] bill shack is on the path to success [1-99] bill shack is on the path to success [1-99] bill shack is on the path to success [1-99] bill shack is on the path to success [1-99]
Have you been watching Vietnam in HD?

I have been watching the series Vietnam in HD on the Canadian history channel. a few night ago was hamburger hill. They had interviews with several soldier looking back. i was impressed and wonder if you have seen this series and your opinion.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 01 Feb 12, 14:39
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99]
Here is a link to previous discussion. You will learn some interesting things about it. I know I did. I have a little different take on it overall. I thought from a "press" point of view it was positive. Romo didn't convert me, I understood where he was coming from up untill the medal tossing with Kerry- Then he's a deserter as far as I'm concerned.
I thought it was good, but the vets on here reign superior imo, so I listen until I get it right. I came away with the thought of "about time a documentary talked about the press as a combatant"
I know I don't hold Cronkite in the same light I once did. Really sad to know his whole Hue city thing was faked.....my god, how creative have they become since then I ask?

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...=vietnam+in+HD
Old 23 Feb 12, 06:59
Private
United_States

Delta Mike is on the path to success [1-99]
Yes, I finally watched it recently
Good production
Could have done without the voiceovers especially when the words being spoken were being done by the real people , that should have sufficed.
However, historywise, I found it to be very incomplete.
I notice the "Hollywood "patches got decent treatment, but found that the battles covered were only the ones that drew media attention back here at the time.
No mention of the 4th Infantry Division at Dak To for instance.
No mention of the Big Red One at A Shau Valley
No mention of the 9th Infantry in the Mekong Delta.
No mention of the house to house fighting during Tet at My Tho.
No mention of the 11th Armored Cavalry
And still the persistent misconception about the Post Tet Offensive in 69 which began the day after the Tet Holiday in 69 on the 13th of February at 2 am.
No coverage of Navy Seals, Special Forces , Rangers or AF PJs
Or of the AF crews in the Pacific .
No coverage of what the VC were doing to the locals .

So.........it's nice entertainment, and the footage is good.
But it is still a "McDonald's" version of history
Old 23 Feb 12, 07:32
General
United_States

lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
Presently in Vietnam, so I cannot watch. Went to the War Museum in Saigon today, and got their version of the war. Needless to say, John Kerry was highlighted with photos and extracts of his story about massacring people. If true, why hasn't he been charged? Hell, there is no time limit on murder. Maybe he can sponsor the bill in the senate that will bring himself to trial. Now that would take guts.

Also, the section of the people's opposition to the war contained lots of photos of the usual suspects, and VVAW crowd. That clinches it for me.

Naturally, not a word on the Hue 1968 massacres. Most of the older crowd seemed more interested in getting their photos taken with all the equipment out in the courtyard, but there were a lot of earnest young things wandering around the psyops galleries (war images, etc) vicserally moven by what they had read and seen. Even some 40 year olds who should have known better. Also had a group of emotional South Koreans, mostly older types, but one young kid sporting a Che tee shirt. Guess we know which side he was on. All in all, an excellent display of what can be done with a few nasty truths (war is not healthy for the young or vulnerable) and the careful omitting of contrary facts or context.

I did wear my 'gang colors', a MIKE Force polo short, which only got a nasty glare from the lady who sold me the admission. Was going to get someone to take my photo, but there were no volunteers.

Sleepy would have been right at home, and for all I know, he was.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!
Old 24 Feb 12, 03:03
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
I did wear my 'gang colors', a MIKE Force polo short, which only got a nasty glare from the lady who sold me the admission.
I liked that bit.
Old 24 Feb 12, 04:05
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:

I did wear my 'gang colors', a MIKE Force polo short, which only got a nasty glare from the lady who sold me the admission.
A subtle blow for Free Speech

Old 24 Feb 12, 15:21
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99] Leonardo63 is on the path to success [1-99]
FWIW you can watch all of the series on Youtube-I think Boonie may even have links to them. Sure beats commercials!
History channel puts all those type HD war docu's on YT.
Old 01 Mar 12, 11:16
Lance Corporal
United_States

imold is on the path to success [1-99]
That show got me interested enough again to find and watch a few Vietnam videos recently. In the scenes showing Vietnam today, I can't recognize anything; it's like the Vietnam I remember was erased and rebuilt; maybe it was. Seeing almost everyone, especially the youngsters, dressed about the same as you'd expect in an American city, seems strange. I don't know if the people are better off and happier this way or not; the younger ones don't know any different anyway. Might be depressing to go back there, trying to find something familiar that isn't there any more, or been changed in unexpected ways, like Nui Ba Den mountain; now it has an amusement park - I had the scariest close call of my war there, what a contrast in memory and today's reality. Sometimes I'd like to just ignore everything Vietnam, but can't, it's a part of me. Suspect the rest of you vets can understand that. I'm not trying to sound negative about the Vietnamese, that country went through hell and I hope life is much better for those folks today.
Old 02 Mar 12, 19:42
General
United_States

lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800] lirelou gives and gets respect [800]
imold, if you get away from the tourist areas and big cities, you can find the old Vietnam still out there struggling to survive. The economy has not performed as well in recent years, mainly because everyone's economy has taken a hit in this global recession. And of course, when the well off catch a cold, those further down on the socio-economic ladder catch pneumonia. I drove along the Vinh The canal from Ha Tien through Ba Chuc to Chau Doc, and life looked pretty rough for all those living along the canal. Chau Doc itself took a heavy hit from some of the worst floods in its history last rainy season. So while things looked good in Nha Trang, Saigon, and Can Tho, there are large pockets of misery not too far off the beaten path. In a perverse way, the Bali bombing and Thailand's large protests assisted Vietnam by directing a lot of European tourism their way. That, plus foreign factories in the major cities, are helping keep Vietnam's head above water.

Old 04 Mar 12, 12:39
Lance Corporal
United_States

imold is on the path to success [1-99]
lielou - sounds like life is still a struggle for the majority of Vietnamese. When the well off hit financial hiccups, it's usually a far larger impact on the ones below them on the socio-economic ladder everywhere, even here in the States. Seems like the whole world is on an economic precipice, with a couple potential major wars on the horizon as well; the Vietnamese may end up suffering less than most, since they've had so much adversity they're better adapted at dealing with it. Americans are falling into government safety net social programs (current sound bite is entitlements) by the thousands (millions?), but our economy obviously can't sustain that for a really long haul. Might get ugly; most Americans can't even change oil in their car or grow a tomato. I do both, of course.
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Mar 12, 20:29
Second Lieutenant
United_States

One of my most favorite web things is google maps. I went into the area LL spoke of and you get into the photo albums of some of these folks and it's amazing. I would say they are adapting, but life is no picnic. There is an obvious division of the have's and have not. Away from the cities, Other than the way they dress, it looks like life is very hard. I've learned to use translater to understand the photos and conversations. Life is tough, but really, it's always been tough for them don't you think? Even in VN HD, people are just trying to eat with a war going on around them. Looks the same in some ways today.
One test I think of how well a group of people is doing, is how fat are they? Go to walmart and tell me how bad off the people are..... They have plenty to eat. Look at VN, I have seen where the photos of city life, night life, they are dressed very well, fancy hair-do's "Levi's" and they gals got some meat on their bones. Go out to the countryside type albums, and no one is fat, and they are always working, cooking, fishing, cleaning selling! always. One thing that amazes me-I see no mechanized farming anywhere. It seems that most of the work is done by the women too.
Old 04 Mar 12, 21:29
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Since you're currently discussing modern Vietnam, I hope it's okay to post this fascinating, insightful program about setting up a foreign owned business in Vietnam.

Philip

Last edited by PhilipLaos; 04 Mar 12 at 22:05..
Old 05 Mar 12, 18:04
General
United_States

Leonardo, there is mechanized farming in the Delta, usually using old Soviet and Chinese tractors which are rented. Also, a lot of 'giong' fish farming. Modern fish farming requires some investment. I saw an operation at Tan Chau that raises tilapia which is flash frozen and shipped overseas. The owner buys the fish eggs, which look like a cloud in the water, and these are hatched and raised to a certain size in large round tanks within buildings up on the riverbank. Once they get large enough, they are transferred to barges on the Mekong. these barges are large, covered floating squares with nets in the center which hold the fish. As the fish get larger they get farmed, or transferred to other barges to grow even larger. I was impressed with the investment that went into the operation. My wife had a nephew working there, and he was quite proud of it, though not the owner.

The Vietnamese will do anything they can to make money. one nephew runs a small frog farming operation, but it earned him enough to buy a new motorcycle for Tet, and he was quite proud of that accomplishment. Both men and women work pretty hard, especially in the rice planting season, but the task of also providing the meals and keeping the home falls on the women.

They haven't been in a war since 1979, so the younger generations are oblivious to it. Nowadays, even the Army wants high school graduates.

Old 05 Mar 12, 18:40
General
United_States

Philip, I think anyone who ever advised the ARVNs would have flashbacks watching those videos. The ubiquitous "chua". i.e., not yet.

Old 05 Mar 12, 20:58
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Philip, I think anyone who ever advised the ARVNs would have flashbacks watching those videos. The ubiquitous "chua". i.e., not yet.
In the videos, I heard the Vietnamese business people being repeatedly quoted as loving to say, "Not yes."

Maybe have to listen again.

Philip

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!