StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 13 Jan 13, 18:51
Private
Italy

Massena79 is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
The motif on the 'backpack' reads 'NORTHAMPTON'

All the illustrations of drums that I have seen had 'arabic' numerals, mainly in the style of eg, 4GR8. The cypher may have been painted in gold or in white with the kings crown above the GR in real colours.

It's a right bind to find out just what was painted because there is a dearth of information on the subject. Even accurate info of what musicians uniform of many line regiments looked like (including that of the 48th), is as scarce as hens teeth.

Paul
Hi Paul, thanks for this information!
Old 13 Jan 13, 18:51
Private
Italy

I found this website with pictures of various British regimental drums.
http://brtdesignportfolio.com/88th/website/48thfoot.htm

I wonder whether the cypher on the drum depicted here is realistic (these seem to be re-enactors pics). best,

Massena79
Old 14 Jan 13, 00:31
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena79 View Post
I found this website with pictures of various British regimental drums.
http://brtdesignportfolio.com/88th/website/48thfoot.htm

I wonder whether the cypher on the drum depicted here is realistic (these seem to be re-enactors pics). best,

Massena79
It's your call! I would like to know where they got the Information on the type of lace/uniform that the 48th drummer wore, as there isn't any

Mind you, the cipher on the 48th drum is pretty bog standard. the markings on the drum as a whole I would guess, is as good a 'guess', as anyone else. Would the cipher be in black, or would it be in gold Would the design have followed that on the officers breast plate????

And finally, If you look through the regiments on that site, you will see that the uniforms cover the period of the American and Napoleonic wars and a lot changes in 25 years.

Sorry if this post is hard to understand as I am just getting over a rather terrible Migraine attack that frazzles the brain for quite a while and which was violent enough for me to want to end it all and if I had had a loaded pistol near to hand...well, I wouldn't be posting this now would I!

Paul
Old 14 Jan 13, 06:19
Private
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
It's your call! I would like to know where they got the Information on the type of lace/uniform that the 48th drummer wore, as there isn't any

Mind you, the cipher on the 48th drum is pretty bog standard. the markings on the drum as a whole I would guess, is as good a 'guess', as anyone else. Would the cipher be in black, or would it be in gold Would the design have followed that on the officers breast plate????

And finally, If you look through the regiments on that site, you will see that the uniforms cover the period of the American and Napoleonic wars and a lot changes in 25 years.

Sorry if this post is hard to understand as I am just getting over a rather terrible Migraine attack that frazzles the brain for quite a while and which was violent enough for me to want to end it all and if I had had a loaded pistol near to hand...well, I wouldn't be posting this now would I!

Paul
Thanks Paul, you gave me some good pointers there, and I had not realised the website covered the American wars too!
Hope your headache is better today
Old 14 Jan 13, 09:02
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena79 View Post
Thanks Paul, you gave me some good pointers there, and I had not realised the website covered the American wars too!
Hope your headache is better today
Thank matey , Yes it is much better but I still feel queezy and a bit unsteady on my feet.

Paul
Old 24 Jan 13, 10:13
First Lieutenant
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99]
Mr Captain William Siborne’s “Small” & "Large" Waterloo Models

Here’s a wonderful and brilliant little collection of pictures that I have been searching and searching for, for what feels like a very, very long lifetime!

Mr Captain William Siborne’s “Small” Waterloo Model:

Siborne's Small Model Information Plaque.jpg

Siborne's Small Model La Haye Sainte East.jpg

Siborne's Small Model La Haye Sainte From Above.jpg

Siborne's Small Model La Haye Sainte Interior.jpg

Siborne's Small Model La Haye Sainte Looking North.jpg

Siborne's Small Model La Haye Sainte Southwest View.jpg

I have only provided the following nine best pictures (in my very humble opinion), but don’t worry; more are available, to those more fanatical than I, via the following two links:

http://wargaming.info/tag/la-haye-sainte/

http://www.horse-and-musket.com/hors...Diorama.html#1

And for those of you who would also like a sample of the very same Historical Man’s most wonderful and brilliant “Waterloo” work, only on a very much larger scale, then here’s a link to that subject too, just for good measure:

http://ilovewargameing.21.forumer.co...opic.php?t=467

And our very own:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...=116179&page=4

I trust many of you will enjoy…..
Old 24 Jan 13, 10:15
First Lieutenant
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99]
Mr Captain William Siborne’s “Small” & "Large" Waterloo Models 2

And lastly...............

Siborne's Small Model Charge Of The Household Brigade 01.jpg

Siborne's Small Model Charge Of The Household Brigade 02.jpg

Siborne's Small Model View Of The Sandpit.jpg
Old 24 Jan 13, 10:27
Brigadier General
France

VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
Thumbs up

Old 24 Jan 13, 10:50
Private
Brazil

rafaelphy is a balanced individual [0]
Hi evebody!

I need help finding some information on the uniforms and equipment of French soldiers in the Franco Prussian war.

I will use this information to sculpt a miniature 54mm based on the figure below.

If someone can help me with information regarding the uniform worn by the soldier's photo, his rank and what equipment was used by him would help me a lot.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards
Old 24 Jan 13, 11:48
Brigadier General
France

VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
Red face

"The Death of Commandant Berbegier" ( Saint-Privat 1870 ) by E. DETAILLE

Mortally wounded at the Battle of Saint-Privat, August 18, 1870, Commandant Berbegier of the 1st Battalion, 70th Infantry Regiment, blows the "charge" to encourage his troops.

- wrong forum to post this by the way -

Old 08 Feb 13, 10:24
Private First Class
Italy

LEGIO Golbert is on the path to success [1-99]
napoleonic uniform end over

http://jaigol.blogspot.it/2012/06/i-...le-tavole.html
dera friends visit this link is very interessant : Brindisi:
Old 08 Feb 13, 10:27
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Better to place that here, Raffaele

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...play.php?f=140

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 08 Feb 13, 17:21
Private First Class
Italy

LEGIO Golbert is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
Better to place that here, Raffaele

i am sorry i have diffucilt writhe in real page
Old 08 Feb 13, 17:24
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
No problem
It is where all the Napoleonic posts, threads, topics of discussion go

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!