StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 05 Dec 11, 14:26
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by napschasseur View Post
Thanks Prinz Essling.
I'll have to pay closer attention to the descriptions and illustrations I come across. I knew different regiments had various designs and colours on the sabretache, but I didn't realize there might be so much variation within the regiment in addition to officers and troops.
Back to the books.....

Regards
Charles
Charles,

No - the thanks are due to you for the question as it gave me the chance to look more closely at the sabretaches - here is the 6th regiment to illustrate my point....

Cheers

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6hussars1.jpg (267.8 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg 6hussars2.jpg (324.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 6hussars3.jpg (367.0 KB, 219 views)
Old 05 Dec 11, 17:06
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95th Rifles View Post
Thanks for that information, Dibble201Bty. Sorry, but I haven't got that book, which is a shame, but I have checked that link to Keith Rocco that you so kindly provided, and it looks very promising. However, I should really like conformation of its details from a further secondary source before I commit myself.

So I've sent a very nice E-Mail to the Napoleonic Association, 71st Highlander Light Infantry section, and hopefully they may respond with an answer to my query - One never knows.

Out of interest, the only books on British Uniforms that I possess are:

Haythornthwaite, Philip J., "Uniforms Of Waterloo"
Pericoli, Ugo & Glover, Michael, "1815: The Armies At Waterloo"
Fosten, Donald S. V. and Bryan K., "The Thin Red Line: Uniforms Of The British Army Between 1751 & 1914"
Schick, I. T. (Edited by), "Battledress: The Uniforms Of The World's Great Armies 1700 To The Present"

A poor selection, I have to admit, and ones that do NOT really provide much information for the British 71st Foot, but a limited budget tends to forbid the purchase of more - if only I could win the lottery!

Thanks again for all your help Dibble201Bty - I'll keep you informed as to any results I may be lucky enough to get.
OK then I'll post the info when I get home tomorrow.

I do believe that the Funken 2nd edition on Napoleonic uniforms has an illustration of a piper of the 71st. Apart from that, trying to get good, solid information of said dress is 'so far as my search has been concerned' non existent in good primary sources.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 05 Dec 11 at 17:12..
Old 06 Dec 11, 16:30
Sergeant
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

napschasseur is on the path to success [1-99] napschasseur is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz Essling View Post
Charles,

No - the thanks are due to you for the question as it gave me the chance to look more closely at the sabretaches - here is the 6th regiment to illustrate my point....

Cheers

Ian
Nice of you to say, Ian.
Are your attachments from a "Histoire & Collections" publication? These are an interesting ensemble of illustrations that support your earlier comments really well.

I’m discovering that I may have to change the subject or appearance of the figure if I want to stay consistent with information and illustrations available.

All this research certainly adds a new facet to this modeling hobby.

Regards,
Charles
Old 06 Dec 11, 19:10
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by napschasseur View Post
Nice of you to say, Ian.
Are your attachments from a "Histoire & Collections" publication? These are an interesting ensemble of illustrations that support your earlier comments really well.

I’m discovering that I may have to change the subject or appearance of the figure if I want to stay consistent with information and illustrations available.

All this research certainly adds a new facet to this modeling hobby.

Regards,
Charles
Charles

Correct - the Volunteers are from the volume "French Hussars: From the Ancien Regime to the Empire"; while the 6th Hussar plates are from "French Hussars 1804-12: From 1st to the 8th Regiment".

There is a third volume "French Hussars 1804-12: From 9th to 12th Regiments, the Hundred Days & the Restauration".

All excellent books (as are the ones covering the Guard).

Regards

Ian
Old 07 Dec 11, 11:03
Sergeant
Canada

napschasseur is on the path to success [1-99] napschasseur is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks Ian,

I'll have to add these "H&C" publications to my small list of reference material.

Regards,
Charles
Old 08 Dec 11, 01:09
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Keith (95th Rifles)

I have sent you a PM with info on the 71st by Franklin.

Paul
Old 08 Dec 11, 08:44
First Lieutenant
England

95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99]
PM Recieved and understood, Dibble201Bty. Thank you so very much for all your kind efforts. I have NOT heard from the Napoleonic Society Yet, but then, they're probably very busy chaps, leading very busy lives.

Thanks also to the The Iron Duke for your help too. I hadn't realised that the Frontline Figures in the Waterloo Picture Appeal Thread included a Piper of the 71st Regiment! Rather unobservant of me I know.

Thanks to the efforts of the above Members, this question now has been resolved, and I'am more than happy with the results.

Thank ever so much, Gentlemen!

Kindest Regards,

95th.
Old 09 Dec 11, 10:28
General of the Forums
England
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thumbs up

Be careful 95th., that man Dibloony's not bad if you want a chap potting from five mile away...
sadly, if I'm honest, when it comes to military uniforms the man's a complete moron.
With this in mind I have taken personal command...

And athwart the seas
Hath passed the light of noble deeds
Unquenchable forever.
Old 09 Dec 11, 14:58
General of the Forums
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Richter View Post
Be careful 95th., that man Dibloony's not bad if you want a chap potting from five mile away...
sadly, if I'm honest, when it comes to military uniforms the man's a complete moron.
With this in mind I have taken personal command...

Git!

Paul
Old 31 Dec 11, 04:50
Lieutenant General
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400]
I am doing a sketch on the battle of Crysler's Farm (War of 1812), in the particular part of the battle where the 11th Infantry emerged from the woods on the British Left Flank.

My question is, on American Shakos (the US Army Tombstone Shako in 1812/1813), what resided on the gray plate on the front?

Also, what did American NCOs where to distiguish themselves?
Sponsored Links

Old 31 Dec 11, 21:17
Lance Corporal
Canada

Cliff2011 is on the path to success [1-99]
A few variations:

http://history-uniforms.over-blog.co...thUS1_jpg.html

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1018251

http://www.napoleon-series.org/image...ue3/7thUS1.JPG
Old 01 Jan 12, 17:22
General of the Forums
England

This may be of interest as well.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=109516

I'll have a check to see if I have anything on the shako plate.

Paul
Old 02 Jan 12, 08:33
Lieutenant General
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400] semperpietas has a spectacular aura about [400]
Thank you both for your links and posting. When I am finished with the sketch, I will post it here.
Old 09 Jan 12, 06:00
Private
Denmark

sep is on the path to success [1-99]
On an different matter.
What was the difference in uniform between junior corporals,corporals,
senior corporals,sergeants and sergeant-majors, in the prussian army in the nap. war.
Old 26 Jan 12, 08:08
First Lieutenant
England

95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99] 95th Rifles is on the path to success [1-99]
Tartans Of The British 42nd Highlanders

I really wish I could be of some assistance to you Rep, but sadly, I find I don't actually have an answer to your very interesting question, and would, myself, like to know the information you request - any knowledgable helpers out there on Prussians?

Actually, I have a very tricky and annoying problem of my own, which is holding up my research and driving me daft:

What was the Tartan worn by the 42nd's Bagpipers?

I know the rank and file, drummers, NCO’s and junior field Officers, wore Kilts of standard green and black, “The Government Pattern ” Tartan Sett, while Senior Field Officers entered the fray wearing grey trousers or breeches.

42nd Highlanders Goverment Tartan Sett.gif
42nd Highlanders Goverment Tartan Sett

Soldiers of the Grenadier Company wore a Red Over-stripe in their Kilt patterns, (of which two varieties seem to exist – that illustrated here, and another, much simpler variety) which were added over their normal “Government Patterned” Kilts.

42nd Highlanders Grenadier Tartan Sett.gif
42nd Highlanders Grenadier Tartan

But when it comes to their Bagpipers – I have to confess I am completely lost:

The British 42nd “Black Watch” Historex Colour Chart shows a small proportion of a Tartan for musicians, but does not describe what this is. And Philip Haythornthwaite, in his glorious book: “Uniforms of Waterloo”, p117, mentions a Royal Stewart Tartan for Pipers, while Ugo Pericoli, in his “1815: The Armies At Waterloo” only shows a Red and Black Kilt (plate 111) and fails to provide any further information for his readers.

Somewhere, in the back of my memory, is the mention of an “Athol” or “Stewart” Tartan for Pipers of the 42nd, but I can’t really afford to rely on my rather dodgy memory these days!

And a book, I just recently found, entitled “The Tartans Of The Clans And Families Of Scotland” by Sir Thomas Innes of Learney, and published 1964 (!), which I hoped would provide the answer, fails not only to help, but completely confuses the issue by including among its amazingly detailed pages, FOUR different Tartans for the name of Stewart!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunting So Called Stewart Tartan.jpg
Hunting So Called Stewart Tartan

Royal Or Stewart Tartan.jpg
Royal Or Stewart Tartan

Royal Stewart Modern Tartan.gif
Royal Stewart Modern Tartan

Stewart Of Athol Tartan.jpg
Stewart Of Athol Tartan

So please, have pity on me, somebody, and put me out of my misery, for I am sure I shall go completely and utterly Tartan Mad!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!