StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 01 Feb 11, 19:50
Sergeant
United_States

LoneRider is on the path to success [1-99]
Terror at Beslan by John Giduck

In recent months I have re-read the book Terror at Beslan written by counter-terrorism expert John Giduck. It details the siege of Beslan in 2004 as well as giving a quick overview of the Chechen Conflict for the unfamiliar.

It also details individual and collective acts of bravery amongst the MVD Rus, Vympel, Alfa Group and other spetsnaz formations in attempting to rescue the hostages.

It also has a good hundred or so pages worth of takeaways for American and western schools that we should be aware of.

I would highly recommend the read.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 01 Feb 11, 21:17
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Lucky 6 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Interesting. I'll put that on my to-read list. I would also recommend Kremlin Rising: Vladimir Putin's Russia and the End of Revolution. It devotes a handful of chapters to the incident at Beslan, and the state's overall reaction. Like you mentioned above, it also deals with the state of the armed forces and the Chechen conflict.
Old 03 Feb 11, 10:05
Lieutenant Colonel
Korea
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andy_S has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I found the Beslan incident more shocking than 9/11: Going after an icon of capitalism and a military HQ is one thing; going after a school is another.

I have not read the book, but much of the backcover copy relates to the author's advice on how to prevent potential terrorist outrages against US schools. Does he have any advice to combat the actual gun attacks that have taken place at US schools and campuses, committed not by terrorists, but by domestically-reared whack jobs?
Old 03 Feb 11, 10:41
Sergeant
United_States

Andy I'm unaware if you know of the active shooter training most police officers are trained in these days. Basically it means the domestic whack jobs in question are to be engaged immediately by first officers on the scene instead of creating cordons and waiting for SWAT to show up.

The author is going for the worst case scenario vice something police departments have already addressed since the spate of school shootings since 1999.
Old 03 Feb 11, 13:06
Major General
United_States

ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200]
Unfortunately this book is out of print but I will be buying a used copy as soon as I can find one. I have been trying to get this book for quite some time now.
Old 04 Feb 11, 22:08
Sergeant
United_States

Odd. I bought it on Amazon.com last January without any issues. Strange that it went out of print so early.
Old 07 Feb 11, 14:08
Major General
United_States

ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200] ChrisF1987 is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRider View Post
Odd. I bought it on Amazon.com last January without any issues. Strange that it went out of print so early.
I too agree that it's very odd that the book went out of print so fast considering that it was only printed in 2005 and it's a very relevant subject. The "new/used" copies are all at least $24.
Old 24 Feb 11, 18:27
Sergeant
United_States

I feel you there Chris. Considering that this would be especially relevant to law enforcement personnel and school administrators any emergency response folks - no matter how unsettling a read.
Old 21 Mar 11, 14:11
Sergeant
United_States

Thanks for the heads up man.
Old 11 Jan 12, 13:16
Major
United_States

don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRider View Post
In recent months I have re-read the book Terror at Beslan written by counter-terrorism expert John Giduck. It details the siege of Beslan in 2004 as well as giving a quick overview of the Chechen Conflict for the unfamiliar.

It also details individual and collective acts of bravery amongst the MVD Rus, Vympel, Alfa Group and other spetsnaz formations in attempting to rescue the hostages.

It also has a good hundred or so pages worth of takeaways for American and western schools that we should be aware of.

I would highly recommend the read.
Resurrecting an old thread to pass along a nugget of information regarding Mr Giducks credentials. Apparently they are seriously in question by the SOF community. A google search of the term "John Giduck" will provide the source of the controversy. For those in the know about "Bill Hillar", in my opinion, this is beginning to smell the same way.

The link to the latest thread:

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=107006

Last edited by don744; 11 Jan 12 at 13:24..
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Feb 12, 16:23
Major
United_States

don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99] don744 is on the path to success [1-99]
Wow! There was more to this than I originally thought. There is a virtual cyber-war going on between Mr Giduck and current/retired Special Operations folks over his "credentials". There are several items that state he was a Special Forces (read: Green Beret) Officer. That is just the small stuff, you can't make up some of the things posted about this guy. For a good accounting of the issues surrounding the author, you can review the thread in the link below:

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=107705

I personally would not purchase this book. I feel there are too many character and integrity issues brought out that makes me think his writing is not as credible as one might think. Review the thread and make your own decision.
Old 14 Feb 12, 06:57
Private First Class
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Tzu-Theory is a balanced individual [0]
John Giduck is indeed a fraud. He is currently trying to debunk the SOF community's attempt to out his false claims. It's sad that people have to lie and dishonor others in order to make a buck. Personally, I hope John Giduck gets run out of town and is exposed fully
The art of war is of vital importance to the State. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected. -- Sun-Tzu
Old 14 Feb 12, 07:52
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu-Theory View Post
John Giduck is indeed a fraud. He is currently trying to debunk the SOF community's attempt to out his false claims. It's sad that people have to lie and dishonor others in order to make a buck. Personally, I hope John Giduck gets run out of town and is exposed fully
Well, the information is now out there for all to see. I can not imagine any way for him to salvage a shred of his reputation in his current field. He was/is a lawyer, and a waterbed salesman, so I suppose he does have at least two "fallback positions".
Old 15 Feb 12, 20:09
JTravolta

interesting..so much

yes that's very interesting..
Old 02 Mar 12, 19:09
Private First Class
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Tzu-Theory is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravolta View Post
yes that's very interesting..
If people are interested, this has exploded on SOCNET. John Giduck is refusing to back and of his claims and has instead launched a blog to attack back. Sadly, he doesn't understand how the Internet works and wasn't able to see how easy it is to connect the dots.

Organizations are still hiring him for conferences, so it's hard to say what will happen. At the end of the day, he didn't even have to inflate his resume. He just had to tell the truth. Instead, when called to the floor, he makes a half-attempt to attack back instead of owning up.

The art of war is of vital importance to the State. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected. -- Sun-Tzu

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!