StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 13 Mar 11, 00:01
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
My favorite series

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkinak View Post
Love the Saxon Chronicles, very entertaining.
Old 29 Mar 11, 22:12
Captain
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Just finished with Tories by Thomas B. Allen. I moved quickly which generally speaks to a pretty well written book. Allen doesn't do much with Tory political thought or explaining why one might be a Tory. Instead, most of the book follows the major events of the northern theaters and then adds detail as to Tory participation in those events. There is much detail of events in and around Boston. Less but sufficient detail of the New York and New Jersey situation. Not much coverage of the southern theater. Not a bad addition for one interested in getting multiple views of Loyalists in the revolution but I don't consider it comprehensive on the subject.
Old 29 Mar 11, 22:47
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Hugh has disabled reputation
Elijah
Thanks for saving me the trouble of reading it. Sounds like it's a topic that needs another book to cover it properly.
Civil War Milledgeville
Remembering Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 29 Mar 11, 22:55
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Good evening Hugh, I am about to read Richard Ketchum's book Divided Loyalties which looks like it might be a bit more political. He focuses only on New York and starts in the Stamp Act time both of which should provide more depth.

I don't wish to badmouth Allen's book but it is a bit more introductory to the subject of Loyalists than I was hoping for. It could be a good read for someone else. On the other hand, I did enjoy the first several chapters surrounding Boston. Picked up a good tip in the bibliography for some info on Nesbit Balfour early in the war.

Last edited by Elijah; 29 Mar 11 at 22:57..
Old 30 Mar 11, 08:34
Captain
United_States

By some measure of coincidence, I also recently reviewed The Other New York, the American Revolution beyond New York City 1763 - 1787. The book is composed of separate chapters for each county in upstate New York. The chapters have separate authors although the overall editors are Joseph Tiedemann and Eugene Fingerhut. They have put together an excellent study of Loyalism where loyalism was strongest. Great detail of how some local events between Landlords and tenants in West Chester County (the neutral ground and most prolific recruiting area for loyalist units) influenced the population. For those interested in a deeper level of local detail and analysis, I think this book is a winner.
Old 18 Apr 11, 20:35
Lance Corporal
United_States

Minuteman21 is on the path to success [1-99]
Has anyone read The Naval Chronicles of the British Navy? I know it doesn't fall into this time period, but picks up right after. I'm thinking it would be a perfect collection to the a library on 1700s warfare.

Have to agree with what most of you say, Rebels and Redcoats, Washington Crossing, Decisive Day, Bunker Hill, Paul Revere's Ride, The Glorious Cause (heavy book) and if you can find it General Gage's Informer are all great books about that time period.
Old 02 May 11, 23:38
Captain
United_States

Just finished Simcoe's Military Journal: A History of the Operations of a Partisan Corps, called the Queen's Rangers, Commanded by Lieut. Col. J. G. Simcoe, During the War of the American Revolution by John Graves Simcoe. Being somewhat familiar with 18th century writing, I made it through this often difficult book. However, I don't really recommend it for one reading for pleasure. Simcoe tries to tell the story rather than give information on battles, etc. Unfortunately, his story telling skills are lacking. On the other hand, the Queen's Rangers orginated with Rogers and may have been the first provincial fighting unit raised in the colonies. Would have been more noted but didn't get sent to the Southern theater.

Simcoe repeatedly brags that he maintained a strict policy against pillaging and harming the populace. I will admit I know little specific to the contrary. I did notice that Simcoe didn't hesitate to point fingers at the British Legion as guilty of bad acts against the population.
Old 04 Aug 11, 16:56
Captain
United_States

THE NEW PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE! THE NEW PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE!

Well, nothing quite that exciting but, in my eyes, gold comes in the form of three black full size soft cover volumes. Mailed direct to me from across the pond: The Cornwallis Papers, Volumes 4, 5, & 6. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time thus far in volumes 1, 2 & 3. Highly recommend this type of research for the serious AR enthusiast.
Old 04 Aug 11, 16:59
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Thanks Elijah. Can you post the entire citation please. I know we talked about these books ages ago. Good to see you again, it's been a long time.
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 04 Aug 11, 18:00
Captain
United_States

Greetings to you also Hugh. Hope you are well. If I have worked it correctly, this link will take you to the book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Cornwallis-Cam...2491533&sr=1-5
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Aug 11, 18:59
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Right. It works. Thank you. That is a prodigious collection of works. Rather intimidating, I must say. I look forward to a learned article or two....or even a lecture in person from you. Your knowledge is vast....
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 04 Aug 11, 20:28
Captain
United_States

Awww shux Hugh. thanks. Are there any events in the near future focusing on the southern theater? Are you in on any roundtables?
Old 04 Aug 11, 21:07
Staff Sergeant
United_States

No roundtables within reasonable driving distances of me. I'm not aware of any events but will see what I can find and let you know. Too hot to do anything!
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 04 Aug 11, 21:09
Staff Sergeant
United_States

see southerncampaign.org Nov 12th Cheraw, SC.
Civil War Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 27 Oct 11, 11:19
Captain
United_States

Got an interesting new book that I feel worth mentioning here. Between the Lines by Harry M. Ward. The book focuses on 'Banditti of the American Revolution'. Reviewing the table of contents I noticed chapter 2 covers James Delancey's cowboys and the no-mans land of Westchester County, New York. In that area (and NJ) the war could be just as bitter and ruthless as the southern campaigns that came later. In fact, most of the Loyalists who served in the Provincial units under Cornwallis came from NY and NJ. Their training for such a blood thirsty type of warfare came from experience in 77 and 78 near New York.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!