StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 30 Oct 10, 09:13
Staff Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hugh has disabled reputation
Sounds like a very interesting project. I just came across this online resource and am browsing. They have some very interesting things. I look forward to hearing more about your "powder quest."
Civil War Milledgeville
Remembering Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 02 Mar 11, 09:51
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Yesterday I received The Cornwallis Papers, Volume 1 by Ian Saberton. Even though there are five more volumes (at $46 each) to go I can tell you that no American History researcher should go without it. Until now one had to travel across the pond to view more than the published correspondence from Charles Ross (1859). Although some interesting passages appear, the early volume only had about 100 pages of letters from the American Revolution. I had previously thought the remaining papers would eventually make the internet. I never saw them that way but last November, Mr. Saberton saw fit to give us some 2000 more pages that all cover the Southern Campaigns of 1780 and 1781. It almost seems Heaven sent.
Old 02 Mar 11, 13:41
General of the Forums
Luxembourg
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

General Brock has disabled reputation
Elijah - were did you purchase them from, I hope Amazon.com if
not you might want to take a look there for better pricing and
there is also abel books for 'used' they are decent.
Old 02 Mar 11, 14:32
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Hugh has disabled reputation
James - It was amazon I believe. They're rare used - only recently on the market.
Civil War Milledgeville
Remembering Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 02 Mar 11, 15:23
Captain
United_States

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Yes, Amazon.com it is. There were no used copies available but with Amazon you can monitor the situation. The release date was November 2010.

There was also a military book site but it showed the price in lbs and would have shipped from Britain.
Sponsored Links

Old 02 Mar 11, 15:27
General of the Forums
Luxembourg

Here is another source a lot of us use if your interested.

http://www.abebooks.com/
Old 10 Mar 11, 23:26
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
I'm aware he uses alot of fiction too but Bernard Cornwell's The Fort is an excellent read.
Old 12 Mar 11, 02:15
General of the Forums
Luxembourg

Anything Bernard writes is excellent weather fiction or not.

If you know your history you can identify the historical parts of
the novels from the non historical.
Old 12 Mar 11, 11:57
Captain
United_States

The Day it Rained Militia: Huck's Defeat and the Revolution in the South Carolina Backcountry by Michael Scoggins

I would very much like to review this book if anyone can point to a reasonable access. Amazon has shown it unavailable for about a year now.
Old 12 Mar 11, 21:51
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
That is true. You certainly can. But he is just so gosh darn entertaining as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Brock View Post
Anything Bernard writes is excellent weather fiction or not.

If you know your history you can identify the historical parts of
the novels from the non historical.
Old 12 Mar 11, 22:07
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The War of the Revolution by Christopher Ward.

http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Vol...sr=1-2-catcorr

It is THE BEST book on the Revolutionary war that I have ever read! It explains every single campaign battle in great depth, but is rather easy reading, about college level I think. It comes in two volumes.
Old 12 Mar 11, 22:32
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebpreacher View Post
I'm aware he uses alot of fiction too but Bernard Cornwell's The Fort is an excellent read.
I just got done with The Fort. I didn't think it was his best effort, not that I'd say it was bad.
Old 12 Mar 11, 22:34
General of the Forums
United_States

No his last Uhtred book was one of his best imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkinak View Post
I just got done with The Fort. I didn't think it was his best effort, not that I'd say it was bad.
Old 12 Mar 11, 22:36
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] llkinak has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebpreacher View Post
No his last Uhtred book was one of his best imho
Love the Saxon Chronicles, very entertaining.
Old 12 Mar 11, 23:26
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I know this is a bit redundant, but Benson Lossing also wrote the Fieldbook of the American Revolution in 1850. You can download and read it here:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.an.../Contents.html

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!