StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II > Armor in World War II > W. Allied Armor

Notices and Announcements

W. Allied Armor Discuss all non-Axis and non-Russian armor here. [seeking companion website on Allied Armor for this forum]

Old 07 Dec 15, 05:42
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBark View Post
(My emphasis)

The PzIV was the tank the Germans produced the most of through the course of the war. By my memory ~15,000.
If we're talking about the actual gun tanks, I think you'll find the total was not much more than 8,500. Of course, there were some other AFVs built on the PzKpfw IV chassis which would boost the total somewhat higher than that.

Nevertheless, 8,500+ is a higher production figure than any other German tank of WW2. No German gun tank as such reached the 10,000 production mark but IIRC the PzKpfw IV chassis in itself would likely exceed that figure if you add the jagdpanzers/panzerjaeger/StuG etc.

Edit: Totals for principal WW2 German tank types

PzKpfw I - 1,563
PzKpfw II - 1,814
PzKpfw 38(t) - 1,411
PzKpfw III - 6,157
PzKpfw IV - 8,544
Panther - 5,976
Tiger I - 1,354
Tiger II - 489

Total: 27,308. There were some miscellaneous "minor" types that would add a few more, bringing the total a bit closer to 28,000 all up.

Rather sobering for the Germans, I guess, when one considers that either the M4 Sherman or T-34 easily outnumber this on their own; never mind all the other Allied types including all the lighter tanks, which the German total includes.

These figures are from an appendix at the rear of Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two (Revised Edition), Peter Chamberlain, Hilary Doyle & Thomas Jentz, 1993. I believe there are some minor inaccuracies here and there but the true figures are fairly close to what's shown above IIRC.
Certainly the number of PzKpfw IV gun tanks did not reach 9,000. We'd have to add PzKpfw III and PzKpfw IV gun tanks together, to get a figure around 15,000.

"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Last edited by panther3485; 07 Dec 15 at 06:09..
Old 07 Dec 15, 18:22
Lieutenant General
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200]
I doubt your numbers are correct. Btw, when I said ~15,000 I was of course including PzIV variants and anything that looked like a PzIV, including models made by Tamiya, Dragon and Trumpeter. (Lesson to me not to post at 4:00 in the morning and to not be so lazy, there had to be at least two books on the PzIV in the tablet I was on at the time.)

Thanks.

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!
Old 07 Dec 15, 18:44
Lieutenant General
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200] JBark is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzen View Post
No. They were all rubbish.
Since you've put up three posts here I'm wondering if this is a real interest in discussion. Allied tanks were anything but rubbish.

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!
Old 08 Dec 15, 03:24
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBark View Post
I doubt your numbers are correct. Btw, when I said ~15,000 I was of course including PzIV variants and anything that looked like a PzIV, including models made by Tamiya, Dragon and Trumpeter. (Lesson to me not to post at 4:00 in the morning and to not be so lazy, there had to be at least two books on the PzIV in the tablet I was on at the time.)

Thanks.
No problem. I was almost going to say that if I ever run into Chamberlain, Doyle or J ... ... oops, sorry, Jentz is no longer with us. ...

... but I'd be sure to tell Chamberlain & Doyle their numbers are not correct; and I'll tell 'em that's a personal message from JBark.

... on second thoughts, better not tell 'em that.
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)
Old 25 Nov 17, 23:21
Sergeant Major
Armchair_General

Redzen has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
Luckily and despite popular myth, the German army was not made up of Tigers and Panthers. It had a large chunk of Stug's and Panzer IV's in it. A Sherman was more than a match for a Panzer IV.
"A Sherman was more than a match for a Panzer IV." Really? We live and learn.

Old 26 Nov 17, 10:18
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzen View Post

"A Sherman was more than a match for a Panzer IV." Really? We live and learn.
Yes it was. Perhaps you should actually read the thread???

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!