StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Medieval Era

Notices and Announcements

The Medieval Era Discussions on Knights and Crusaders, and all things medieval!

Old Yesterday, 09:30
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
included in etc etc etc
Inadequate, mate. Of all the films mentioned here, Wee Georgie was the only one that made you feel good about being human at the end. TCM broadcast a bunch of Scottish-themed flicks this past St Andrew's Day -- Brigadoon high was among them -- but Wee Geordie was the only one which the whole family enjoyed. Ever since my boy's been running 'round doing a pretty good Scottish accent: he picks things up amazingly quickly -- our late friend Allsirgarnet had him doing a pretty credible Cockney within a few weeks.

Quote:
Certainly true, I remember a hairdresser on Martha's Vineyard doing my wife's hair who couldn't understand why we'd visited Gettysburg. Unfortunately much the same is true in general of Britons' knowledge of British history.
Are you telling me that there's a significant mass of Britons who know nothing about Culloden, or Hastings, or the Globe? Is that a function of the Universal A$$hole Gene (UAG)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
Mark V posted a few above. Rob Roy was the first that sprang to mind, but there is another one from roughly the same time I was thinking about.

Trainspotting?
Trainspotting? Rather provocative.

Is the Ewen McGregor character's pessimism a result of his Scottishness, or his heroin use?

For a real Scottish treat, try The Acid House, also based on an Irvine Welsh novel. For native English speakers, subtitles are provided. :crosseyes:

Last edited by slick_miester; Yesterday at 09:39..
Old Yesterday, 11:38
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_miester View Post
Inadequate, mate. Of all the films mentioned here, Wee Georgie was the only one that made you feel good about being human at the end. TCM broadcast a bunch of Scottish-themed flicks this past St Andrew's Day -- Brigadoon high was among them -- but Wee Geordie was the only one which the whole family enjoyed. Ever since my boy's been running 'round doing a pretty good Scottish accent: he picks things up amazingly quickly -- our late friend Allsirgarnet had him doing a pretty credible Cockney within a few weeks.

Are you telling me that there's a significant mass of Britons who know nothing about Culloden, or Hastings, or the Globe? Is that a function of the Universal A$$hole Gene (UAG)?

Trainspotting? Rather provocative.

Is the Ewen McGregor character's pessimism a result of his Scottishness, or his heroin use?

For a real Scottish treat, try The Acid House, also based on an Irvine Welsh novel. For native English speakers, subtitles are provided. :crosseyes:
There is no such thing as A Scottish Accent. Scotland has a plethora of accents and dialects and a native of Morningside and one of Bridgeton Cross might well be equally unintelligible to each other. Some in the Highlands are extremely parsimonious with their words. I once bought a jacket in an Inverness store and the sales attendant spoke two words to me during the entire transaction. In some places p is substituted for b and so on and so forth.

And Yes there are many who have gone through school and have no idea what Culloden is or was.

What is often seen as pessimism is in effect a very dry humour. I can remember the Warden of my Hall of Residence, a Scot, who had been home on leave when the Fall of France was announced telling me that he had said to one of the crofters on the estate "well at least we know where we are now - there's no one left to let us down" and getting the reply "there's still the English - I wouldna trust them"

Last edited by MarkV; Yesterday at 11:48..
Old Yesterday, 12:19
General of the Forums
England
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500]
Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Can't be any worse/better than Rab C Nesbitt

Old Yesterday, 12:20
General of the Forums
England
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500]
Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500] Gooner is a jewel in the rough [500]

Old Yesterday, 12:27
Major General
UK
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200] Bluenose is walking in the light [200]
"Some people hate the English. I don't hate the English, they're just wankers"

Still makes me laugh

Pierre Vidal-Naquet
Sponsored Links

Old Yesterday, 13:13
General of the Forums
United_States

slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+] slick_miester has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
There is no such thing as A Scottish Accent. Scotland has a plethora of accents and dialects and a native of Morningside and one of Bridgeton Cross might well be equally unintelligible to each other. Some in the Highlands are extremely parsimonious with their words. I once bought a jacket in an Inverness store and the sales attendant spoke two words to me during the entire transaction. In some places p is substituted for b and so on and so forth.
Can't the same be said of England? From Liverpool to Yorkshire to Cornwall to the East End, there's hardly a two of you who sound alike. Knew me a Yorkshireman, and on the phone he'd have mercy on me and start out slowly and clearly, but when he got on a roll, I was left totally clueless.

Quote:
And Yes there are many who have gone through school and have no idea what Culloden is or was.
Does that apply in Scotland as well?

Quote:
What is often seen as pessimism is in effect a very dry humour. I can remember the Warden of my Hall of Residence, a Scot, who had been home on leave when the Fall of France was announced telling me that he had said to one of the crofters on the estate "well at least we know where we are now - there's no one left to let us down" and getting the reply "there's still the English - I wouldna trust them"
You know, there are those who'd agree wholeheartedly. Not me, of course, but perhaps some of my Pittenweem cousins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
Can't be any worse/better than Rab C Nesbitt

What the is that?
Old Yesterday, 14:17
General of the Forums
UK
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700] MarkV is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Can't the same be said of England? From Liverpool to Yorkshire to Cornwall to the East End, there's hardly a two of you who sound alike. Knew me a Yorkshireman, and on the phone he'd have mercy on me and start out slowly and clearly, but when he got on a roll, I was left totally clueless.

Does that apply in Scotland as well?

Worse than you think for example Yorkshire has more than one accent so that someone from South Yorkshire will sound different from one from the West Riding. According to Bill Bryson England has more accents in relation to its area than anywhere else

Scotland used to be able to claim a better education system than England but in recent years performance has been poorer. For some time there seems to have been a tendency in both nations to adopt the latest educational fashions including trying to concentrate on things like culturally related history, This had been at the cost of British history including things like important elements such as wars and battles, important and influential people and major national events.
Old Yesterday, 14:36
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
What is often seen as pessimism is in effect a very dry humour. I can remember the Warden of my Hall of Residence . . . .
"Hall of Residence": is that Brit-speak for prison? it must be, since it's run by a warden. "Wardens" in the US usually run prisons, as was shown by the bloke who played Longshanks in Braveheart: he also played the warden in Escape from Alcatraz.

And thus we've brought this thread 'round again to its original topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV
Worse than you think for example Yorkshire has more than one accent so that someone from South Yorkshire will sound different from one from the West Riding. According to Bill Bryson England has more accents in relation to its area than anywhere else
There was a time that one could determine a New Yorker's place of residence by his accent, that's how distinct they were. But alas, such is no longer the case.

[QUOTE=MarkVScotland used to be able to claim a better education system than England but in recent years performance has been poorer. For some time there seems to have been a tendency in both nations to adopt the latest educational fashions including trying to concentrate on things like culturally related history, This had been at the cost of British history including things like important elements such as wars and battles, important and influential people and major national events.[/quote]

So you're saying that students in the UK -- English and Scottish alike, as well as Welsh and Northern Irish -- are every bit as ignorant as their US counterparts?

Surely there has to be a British version of that.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for you guys, or feel better about ourselves, but either way, it's pretty sad.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!