StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Latin America & the Caribbean

Notices and Announcements

Latin America & the Caribbean Including issues of Central and South America and Mexico.

Old 06 Dec 12, 08:30
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensman View Post
It would appear that the Argentine government is up to its usual tricks
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...sh-cruise-ship
We used to blow up ports belonging to Banana Republics that did nonsense like this. I say it's a time to return to form. At least do a figure of 8 in Argie bargie waters with one of these.

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 06 Dec 12, 11:38
Colonel
Scotland
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 

billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200] billscottmorri is walking in the light [200]
Nice boat.

If the Argentinians get desperate enough to do something stupid again there is very little chance that it would be a re-run of the last time.

An Argie fleet setting out for Port Stanley would not have a few dozen Royal Marines to deal with, it would be much much tougher and if they did get ashore they would probably find their ports closed by a close RN blockade with their expeditionary force starving within a month.

I am not sure exactly what the MOD has on the islands to fend of an Argie attack but it must be a lot more than some shoulder launched anti tank missiles like last time.
Old 06 Dec 12, 13:58
Major
UK

queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscottmorri View Post
Nice boat.

If the Argentinians get desperate enough to do something stupid again there is very little chance that it would be a re-run of the last time.

An Argie fleet setting out for Port Stanley would not have a few dozen Royal Marines to deal with, it would be much much tougher and if they did get ashore they would probably find their ports closed by a close RN blockade with their expeditionary force starving within a month.

I am not sure exactly what the MOD has on the islands to fend of an Argie attack but it must be a lot more than some shoulder launched anti tank missiles like last time.
Not as many as you may think, about 1500 all together mostly RAF. Some Royal Marines and a resident infantry company, it used to be a battalion until about 1990 i think.
They do make up for it in the hardware available now and the falkland defence force are very motivated and well trained.
With Britain answering the call of the usa and nato after 9/11 I would like to think that nato would standby a member country that is being attacked.
The British armed forces have been punching well above there weight for a long time and had a lot of casualties for its size.
They may not be the best equipped army in the world but they are probably the best trained and best led for its size
Old 06 Dec 12, 16:26
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensman View Post
With Britain answering the call of the usa and nato after 9/11 I would like to think that nato would standby a member country that is being attacked.
Don't bet on it...
Old 07 Dec 12, 00:47
Major
UK

queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
i would not disagree with you on that.
Pity really, if argentina war a muslim or pro muslim country, everyone would be tripping over each other to help.
The argies are hot headed and a bit rash they know it would be a massive mistake to attempt another invasion. but will they ever see sense?
Sponsored Links

Old 07 Dec 12, 13:49
General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

frisco17 has a spectacular aura about [400]
frisco17 has a spectacular aura about [400] frisco17 has a spectacular aura about [400] frisco17 has a spectacular aura about [400] frisco17 has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
Don't bet on it...
I would certainly hope we would do something about it. Though I wouldn't be on it either under the current administration.
Old 07 Dec 12, 13:58
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Even in the Reagan administration (a man who was knighted for the subtle help he gave, alongside Weinburger) little was done, well, I say little, quite a bit here and there, but nothing sizeable, unless the offer of borrowing a carrier was more than scuttlebutt.

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 07 Dec 12, 14:42
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selous View Post
Even in the Reagan administration (a man who was knighted for the subtle help he gave, alongside Weinburger) little was done, well, I say little, quite a bit here and there, but nothing sizeable, unless the offer of borrowing a carrier was more than scuttlebutt.
We got the NATO fuel reserves which the Americans covered no questioned asked plus we got to buy sidewinders with all the red tape ripped up pdq. Reagan and particulalry Casper Weinberger who was very pro British in this are to be wholeheartedly thanked but the rest of the adminsitration wasn't that bothered and were very concerned about jeapordising their "anti communist ally" connection in South America. One of the reason thatcher went bat at some US representaitves who came to Downing Street.
This all said Reagan and Weinberger were exceptions before and after I feel in this regard. I wouldnt bank on overt support second time around. Obama has no love for us nor does Hilary Malvinas Clinton. Having said that, I cant see the Argentines being able to take the islands at the present time...
Old 07 Dec 12, 18:50
Sergeant Major
Canada

ITALICA ONE is on the path to success [1-99] ITALICA ONE is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
It is not a "colony" as you put it and the Argentine claims to it are specious at best as the islands were never settled by Argentina. I have already posted quite a bit on this subject and I am frankly tired of repeating myself. I recommend that you do a bit of research on the history of the Falklands before you go galloping to the defense of Argentina and you can start by looking up my previous posts. Buenos Aires has no legitimate claim to those Islands and their claims are motivated by greed and nothing else.
Here's the research you requested.

Four years after gaining its independence from Spain in 1816, Argentina claimed sovereignty over a group of former Spanish islands which lay 300 miles off the Argentine coast and renamed them the Malvinas.

In reprisal for the Argentine detainment of three U.S. fishing vessels accused of poaching, the American warship USS Lexington was dispatched an destroyed the Argentine settlement In 1831, declaring the Malvinas free of Government before departing.

Two years later a squadron of Royal Navy warships arrived and deported the remaining Argentine resident's back to the mainland, claiming the islands for Great Britain. The British quickly set up a permanent settlement and began to take advantage of the rich and very lucrative fishing trade.

So you see the Argies settled the islands for 13 years before GB came along

Death bed last words. Always pay the army - Septimius Severus
Old 07 Dec 12, 19:01
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALICA ONE View Post

Four years after gaining its independence from Spain in 1816, Argentina claimed sovereignty over a group of former Spanish islands which lay 300 miles off the Argentine coast and renamed them the Malvinas.

In reprisal for the Argentine detainment of three U.S. fishing vessels accused of poaching, the American warship USS Lexington was dispatched an destroyed the Argentine settlement In 1831, declaring the Malvinas free of Government before departing.

Two years later a squadron of Royal Navy warships arrived and deported the remaining Argentine resident's back to the mainland, claiming the islands for Great Britain. The British quickly set up a permanent settlement and began to take advantage of the rich and very lucrative fishing trade.

The people kicked off by the Americans were pirates and it wasn't a permenent solid settlement. Next..! The people there want to be part of the UK. If they go home then so do you where your ethnic ancestors came from...Move along!
Old 07 Dec 12, 19:05
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALICA ONE View Post

Nice try but no cigar. The "settlement" you name was made of thirteen (13) men that as you mentioned were allegedly engaged in piracy. Thirteen men is not a settlement, it's a small circle of friends. The Brits were the one's that actually permanently settled the islands and the current residents are perfectly happy to remain British citizens. So, who is playing colonial power here?

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!
Old 07 Dec 12, 21:53
Lieutenant Colonel
UK

Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99] Nickuru is on the path to success [1-99]
The argentinos wanting to take over the Falklands is senseless. Oil? really, the only thing found are layers of geological structure where there is the potential to have oil and gas accumulations between permeable sediments enclosed by impermeable sediments. How does one tell if the oil is still there or if has filtered off into the surrounding rocks 30 miles deep?

The Argentines are simply using this to draw attention away from their totally corrupt society and the complete ineptitude in managing their resources.
Old 07 Dec 12, 21:58
Major
UK

Laying here in my hospital bed has given me plenty of time to think about this issue and its got me nowhere.
The islander's want to stay british and thats it really.
Argentinia is just full of hot wind and there right wing fuhrerpresident is full of horse manure.
They under estimatee the british and there will to fight before.
To do so again would be criminal insanity. When they invaded before the british army only had recent experience of northen ireland. Now it has a lot more experiance with every infantry regiment and armoured regiment having seen active service.
They can run around making all the noise they want but if they invaded again they would lose.
People under estimate the British armed forces and the public, we are still suffering financialy and if things were to kick off. then it would distract the public and quickly gather support, a lot of us did not agree with iraq but we do support our troops and just like bygone days of the british empire, we will defend our land and citizens.
Old 08 Dec 12, 18:53
General of the Forums
Canada
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

marktwain has a spectacular aura about [400]
marktwain has a spectacular aura about [400]
Still thy fluttering Brtish hearts, Guys

[.Luv & hugs, Cristi.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRISTI~2.JPG (95.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 08 Dec 12, 19:44
Major
UK

Another reason the argentine navy cant do its job
http://en.mercopress.com/2012/11/22/...nd-maintenance
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!