HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 07 Jan 14, 20:17
Captain
United_States

American87 is on the path to success [1-99] American87 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah772 View Post
I know this thread is about the book on Sherman, but I want to take it further to the next level.

Obviously Sherman accomplished his goal as he made both Georgia and South Carolina howl. However, I have to wonder on some level perhaps Sherman overdid it. Even after defeat, the South remained stubborn and kept the bitterness of Sherman's march alive by using that as a proof of who was the real villain in the Civil War -- the North and its vile generals.

Look at us, we're still fighting the war all over again 150 years later even if it's only words, not with bullets flying over our heads.

The war was obviously over by then, so was it really necessary for Sherman to go on his infamous march? We'll never know the answer to that question, but likewise we'll never know if the reconciliation process would have gone much smoother if not for his March to the Sea. But we do know that Lincoln very much wanted a speedy reconciliation process with lenient terms for the losing side. In the end, I suppose we should be grateful for Lincoln's conciliatory frame of mind, otherwise the aftermath might turn out uglier for the South.
Shermans ultimate goal was Richmond where he would reinforce Grant, so a simple march made sense.
Destroying anything that could support the war, like railroads, barns, and food would also make sense, but at that time the effect would be felt by Southern citizens as much as armies.
Destroying homes is tough to say. At first it just looks cruel, but many soldiers deserted the ANV in order to go home and help their families, and the time they spent rebuilding their lives was time not spent resuming the rebellion.
If it could somehow be proved that his destruction ended the war sooner and saved lives on both sides when the war was all but over (which I'm inclined to believe), then I think it was the right move. But if not, then it was just cruel and unusual. Like the saying goes, the difference between genius and madness is success.
Old 07 Jan 14, 21:16
General of the Forums
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savez View Post
Taking Atlanta was necessary. The March? Perhaps. I think he just wanted to see if he could do it. The March perhaps did its part to help in the re-election of Lincoln. I think reconcilliation was going to be pretty rough regardless of Sherman's march. It certainly didn't help.
The taking of Atlanta certainly helped with Lincoln's reelection but I don't see how the March did seeing as how it commenced 1 week after the election was over.
Old 07 Jan 14, 22:18
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
The way some of these posts read, you would think we have never discussed this before? Maybe a review of the History of the subject here?

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...rman%27s+march

Old 08 Jan 14, 12:56
Colonel
United_States

Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100] Savez has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Evans View Post
The taking of Atlanta certainly helped with Lincoln's reelection but I don't see how the March did seeing as how it commenced 1 week after the election was over.
You and guthrieba make a great point. For some reason I always think Sherman's march started earlier. Its not the first time I've made that mistake.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!