StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 14 Oct 08, 17:37
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300]
It's raining in Hawaii, so I get to (Web) surf a little before we fly home tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDG View Post
Armour, infrantry and Arty are included in both sides as well
Russians get any Sappers?

Quote:
The Germans are defending the outskirts of the town of Orsha, with some great defences, think minefields, trenchs and some bunkers, as well as a tough force
Heh heh. Sounds like a typical case of the German "can't hit me from beyond 16" virus. I hate those guys. (Sharpen your bayonets, comrades!)

Quote:
The Russians are probing this defensive line with some new and interesting forces.
We want Sappers, we want Sappers!

Quote:
This looks to be about a 3000 point game per side,
3000 points Late War?!?!! On a 4x4?!?!? Holy Frijoles!
The Russkies should be lined up pretty much shoulder to shoulder.

Quote:
my testing of the forces yesterday showed me that I should add some more forces to make things a bit more interesting..
Have I mentioned Sappers yet?

Quote:
Cheers, don't get all caught up in rules and regs, I have modified some of them, all you guys really need to do is order your troop movement, then fire and (when we get to that point) assaulting orders.
Something like Platoon A moves x ammount of inchs to the right into the woods, then fires at Y platoon. I will move those forces on the board, then roll the hits up, then post pics on the action and an explanation of it.
Thanks for all your effort on this Tom. I think it's going to be fun. And bloody. Which is just the way the Russians like it.

Tim
Old 14 Oct 08, 17:49
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Smile Thanks guys

It does look like I will have to have threads with the "big pic frame" on it, sorry for the eye strain guys.

Iron wolf

Do what you feel comfortable with, all the others here are also in the dark except Tim (Armour11) who has played FoW before. You can also just watch the game, and if you feel you can handle it, jump in after the first turn, I don't think anyone will have any probs with that I think.

Outrider

Thanks for the help and support buddy and I'll see you Friday sometime!!

Tim

LOL

Just you wait and see Comrade, what you, and the Germans get Like I said I did modify some things compared to the Stalin's Onslaught Battle book Recon battle and some rules and a "slightly" bigger game in mind.

Cheers

Tom
Old 14 Oct 08, 19:43
Lance Corporal
United_States

Ironwolf is on the path to success [1-99]
OK, you talked me into it. Just expect a lot of "duh?" questions from me about game play. I do know the basics of tactical combat, defending: dig in deep, attacking: artillery prep. Assaulting dug in MG bunkers over open ground: Just say 'No'.
Old 14 Oct 08, 21:31
Lieutenant General
United_States

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Cool Thanks buddy

I will post the Main thread tonight sometime, with a couple basic pics for the moment, then the 2 Army ones Wednesday with the forces and more pics.

As it is right now

Russian

Armour11
Soccer DJ
Iron Wolf

German

Outrider
Air challanged
Ace General

Cheers, so we are set for players I beleave, thanks guys!!!

Tom
Old 15 Oct 08, 02:34
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwolf View Post
OK, you talked me into it. Just expect a lot of "duh?" questions from me about game play. I do know the basics of tactical combat, defending: dig in deep, attacking: artillery prep. Assaulting dug in MG bunkers over open ground: Just say 'No'.
Fear not and Hail and Well Met!

The only thing you can count on in this game is a WHOLE LOT of Russian casualties. Which is just fine as long as we take the objective.

FOW is at one level extremely simple: each platoon will move, fire, and optionally assault. But the devil is in the details. So don't worry about the details. Everything you've described about "what you know" is all that really counts. We'll give each platoon the orders that make sense and leave it to Tom to adjudicate the results.

But, FWIW, in the "real" game, actions that have a potential to fail (or affect the enemy) are resolved by a D6. The trick is knowing how to apply all of the myriad modifiers to that simple roll. (The modifiers always (as far as I know) subtract or add 1 to the die roll). When firing, you'll either hit or not. If you hit (roll a D6, apply all modifiers and check results), each unit will get a saving throw (most of the time). So to kill a unit (a "team" in FOW lingo), you have to hit it, and it has to fail it's save. That's really all there is to it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that much of the success of your troops will depend on their training. While this is naturally intuitive, FOW puts a slightly different spin on it. E.g. When you shoot at troops, your ability to hit them depends on THEIR experience, not yours. In other words, veteran troops are harder to hit than green troops. (E.g. You need to roll a "4" on an unmodified D6 to hit veteran troops, while you only need a "3" (unmodified) to hit "trained" troops.) So it's assumed that all soldiers know how to shoot a weapon, but not all soldiers know how to duck. I kind of like that approach.

In general, German troops are Confident Veterans, while Russians are Fearless Conscripts. Confident Veterans are skilled soldiers that are hard to hit and hard to panic. Fearless Conscripts are sloppy soldiers that are easy to hit but extremely difficult to panic. Also in general, the Russians get a LOT more units. (Because they're so easy to hit) But that's just in general. I think in this period of the war, they might be trained, as opposed to conscripts. But it's up to TRDG to tell us what kind of troops we'll command.

Anyhew, I just wanted to give you a little taste of the FOW world view. It doesn't really matter. We're gonna have fun, regardless.

Tim
Old 15 Oct 08, 03:06
Lieutenant General
United_States

Wink Good post Tim

Once I get the two sub-threads up, and everyone is here later this week, you guys can post questions that you may have on them, here or by PM. The basic info will be there, as well as the pics, and PM's on your reserve forces for both sides, the other side will only know about what is on the table, not what is off it by the way.

Cheers, back to work on German board 4 pics, they almost have to be the first pics with all the terrain and defenses on them.

Tom

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!