StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 17 Aug 08, 18:54
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Question Flames of War game at ACG

I have one running on another site, so would anyone be interested in playing one here? It would be dig camera pic heavy, but it seems to work fairly well, and I have taken some liberties with the rules, lets say house rules for those in the know.

Probably Russian against the Germans, Late-War to, I was thinking about a poll driven one, but maybe just a couple of players for each side, orders are posted on a specific nation thread, and you don't have to know the basic rules, HONEST!!!

Cheers, any thoughts, say by the end of September or early October maybe?

If so, post here and let me know please, thanks.

TRDG

Tom
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 02 Sep 08, 22:10
Lieutenant General
United_States

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Unhappy Bummer

Maybe sometime this winter maybe.......

Cheers

Tom
Old 03 Sep 08, 21:28
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I've been thinking of gettting into Flames of War but want to see what any of you have to say about it. What tips or advice would you have for a newbie.
Old 04 Sep 08, 02:05
Lieutenant General
United_States

Smile Hhmmm.....

Give me some specifics on what types (and nations) of forces you might be into, and maybe Early (start of the war to around 1942), Mid(42-43) or Late war(44-45).

Cheers, I also started a thread from before (on this forum) on a few of the basics, not to much yet, but I can talk your ear off if ya want to.

Tom

Thanks for the interest my friend!!!
Old 04 Sep 08, 10:44
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100] SoccerDJ has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I was thinking either American or German Mid to Late war and probably an infantry company. So I really just need to know where to get started from there.
Old 04 Sep 08, 13:45
Lieutenant General
United_States

Wink I see

Let me post something for you after work tonight, after I take care of my FoW game in another place, I'll start with the US infrantry, mech or non-mech ??

Cheers

Tom
Old 04 Sep 08, 17:33
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDG View Post
I have one running on another site, so would anyone be interested in playing one here?
Hey Tom!

I just saw this thread from the main page....a little late to be jumping in, but I'd love to play!

Tim
Old 04 Sep 08, 21:02
Lieutenant General
United_States

Wink Thanks buddy

I'll keep you in mind here if we get another player or two, what is your take on the Bagration boo coming out this week, and the box sets, very interesting to me.

Cheers, I can't wait for the Battle book that has the Stalin 2 Ba in it, pretty sweet, and if they kill that 1 shot 1+ if moved for them specifically, I think our Tiger Companies will have quite a fight!!! FUN FUN!!!

Tom
Old 04 Sep 08, 22:11
Major General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300] armor11 is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDG View Post
I'll keep you in mind here if we get another player or two, what is your take on the Bagration boo coming out this week, and the box sets, very interesting to me.
I haven't read any details on it. Any new books are cool.

I like some of the box sets (Pazer Lehr division seems cool.) And I recently purchased a Tiger II. Although I found it a bear to assemble.

A buddy of mine at a local game store ran across some rules to play a SCI-FI version of FOW. It looks like a blast.

Tim
Old 05 Sep 08, 01:42
Lieutenant General
United_States

Smile Roger Tim

The 48th Sturm Army looks very interesting to me, expensive points wise I bet. How do you like the 1500 to 1750 points now used in a lot of areas, plus some of their spotlight battles and the books, I the bigger battles, add in the Stalin Ba and Russai will be set, And you can't forget the He 129 air power, and Russian 152 big gun arty.

Cheers, it's good to be a FoW player right about now, as long as you play German or Russian forces!!

Tom

Any final thoughts on the Normandy campaign books from ya??

Tom
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Sep 08, 02:43
Lieutenant General
United_States

Red face Hey DJ

I ran out of time to get the stats for ya, I'll nail some of them down Friday.

Cheers, promise buddy!!

Tom
Old 05 Sep 08, 09:44
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya

Thanks lookin forward to it. I've also got to figure out a rule book to get
Old 06 Sep 08, 02:47
Lieutenant General
United_States

Arrow Here is a start DJ

I'll start from Ostfront (Eastern front LOL) action from 1942 through 1943 for a Grenadier Co.

HQ consists of

1. Company Commander SMG team, two figures on a small base
2nd in command SMG team, also two figures on one stand.
You can add a anti-tank rifle squad to this for extra points (not really worth it), and/or two medium/heavy mortar squads to your HQ (somewhat worth it)

2. Then you need 2-3 Grenadier platoons to field a legal force to play a game

1 full Grenadier platoon consists of

8 stands of rifle/mg teams, thats like 4 or 5 indivigual figures per medium base (stand)
1 Platoon Commander SMG team, 1 figure on a small base.
You can go as low as only 2 squads (2 x 1 infrantry stand) to make a viable and legal Grenadier Platoon if you want to put points in weapons or support platoons.

Weapons platoons you can pick from are

Up to 2 MG platoons
1 mortar platoon
1 assault platoon

Support platoons you may want to add are

1 infrantry gun platoon
1 scout platoon
1 looted Panzer platoon ( 1 Russian tank only no big deal to most)
Up to 2 AT gun platoons
1 light AA gun platoon
Arty batteries
1 pioneer platoon
and any divisional support platoons, as in
1 heavy Tank platoon (Tiger)
1 heavy Assault gun platoon (Ferdinand)
1 assault tank platoon ( StuIG 33B or Brummbar)
1 assault gun platoon ( StuG D, E or F)
1 tank hunter platoon ( Marders and Hornisse)
1 Heavy AA (88's)
1 rocket launcher platoon (think wurfer rockets)
and finally air, limited or priority

You can field 2 support units per every regular grenadier platoon you field, but that may change later on by BattleFront!!

Cheers, let me know what strikes your fancy here and I'll expand a bit more on things.

Tom

Last edited by TRDG; 06 Sep 08 at 02:51..
Old 06 Sep 08, 14:39
Lieutenant General
United_States

Wink Prices

How much do you want to spend here DJ

1 full platoon costs 20 $, either German or US. and there are bigger box sets you can get for a bigger army as well.

Basic vehicles are 11 $, with the bigger Tigers and Panthers 12$, and again there are box sets if you don't want to piece together an Army per Platoon.

Books

Africa is 40 $ for Mid-War, US, German, British and Italians are in this one.

Ostfront is also 40$ and I think you can figure out what sides are there my friend LOL but they do have Finnish, Hungarian, Italian and Romanian force lists as well.

Main rule book (hard cover) is 50$

Cheers

Tom
Old 06 Sep 08, 20:39
Lieutenant Colonel
Kenya

Thanks for all the information. Basically what I want to do is pick a force and slowly start building it. I dont have the money to buy it all at once so I want to buy a platoon here and there slowly build and enjoy painting my force

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!