StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > ACG Community Run Wargames

Notices and Announcements

ACG Community Run Wargames Conflict simulations run by forum members for the ACG community.

Old 12 Nov 16, 13:24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Oh! Get the cannon, all their arm/powder and any medical supplies. I will take my men along on the chart/papers gathering so that they know where and what to look for in the future. This way they know potential hiding places. I will then be able to move straight to the wounded next time and still know that my particular interests are sought out. Hey the captain's quarters are a good place to be during looting I'm sure my lads will be eager to help.
Old 13 Nov 16, 22:04
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'd say let's take a few days, maybe a week right off, to put our prize soft aground on protected waters and make repairs. Our ship, no doubt, needs a few herself. We could ship over 4 of the 6 pdrs and swap them out for 4 of our 3's at the same time.

That gives us a bit of time to patch the prize's hull and redistribute stores between the two ships.

When she's in reasonable shape we might consider using her to raid some of the locations she supplied towards St. Augustine. After all, she'd be recognizable and would catch these locations by surprise.
Old 13 Nov 16, 23:15
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Perhaps we should consider laying up the sloop up some channel and sending the Vespa back to Nassau to recruit a few more guys? The repairing could go faster with more men. Guillame and the other wounded could be examined by a Doctor as well. I bet we could crew Vespa with five able hands and five wounded. That leaves around fifteen to patch the sloop. If we could recruit twenty more men we could patch the sloop and partially man both ships.

We should also consider if we have enough seasoned wood to repair the holes in the hull. If we need a mast we can just go ashore and chop down a likely tree. The hull can't use green wood. We can still take her up a channel and beach her too see what is damaged.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 14 Nov 16, 04:46
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Well done,

nothing much to add for now, I had to take an unexpected trip, should be back to my normal routine by Wednesday

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 14 Nov 16, 08:06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200] Widow Maker is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
I'd say let's take a few days, maybe a week right off, to put our prize soft aground on protected waters and make repairs. Our ship, no doubt, needs a few herself. We could ship over 4 of the 6 pdrs and swap them out for 4 of our 3's at the same time.

That gives us a bit of time to patch the prize's hull and redistribute stores between the two ships.

When she's in reasonable shape we might consider using her to raid some of the locations she supplied towards St. Augustine. After all, she'd be recognizable and would catch these locations by surprise.
I doubt there will be any surprise using the captured vessel. There are seven more shipwrecks spread over less than 150 miles of cast to the south of us. This the first site we found moving south from St Augustine but we may have missed one or more. The nearer sites could easily be alerted by foot within a week and small craft from these could spread the word to the others and St A. Right now we don;t have to worry about any naval opposition at the other sites. If we take more than a minimal delay the sites will be alerted and possibly reinforced.

Is this damaged ship worth more than the bullion and jewels from the treasure fleet we could pick up easily from 2 or 3 more sites.

We had almost no opposition ashore once we took their ship. I'd like to strike before the Spanish have a chance to fix that. I we wait we might find ourselves really needing more men or have to content ourselves with settling for grabbing the cutters with whatever they salvaged on a single day.

You guys decide but I would what this ship is worth and how long it will take us to even get the sloop safe enough to go to sea. There are still a lot of Spanish in the woods out there.
Old 15 Nov 16, 16:10
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

We are a bit more than 55 leagues (165 miles) from Saint Augustine (St A). We covered that distance in about a day and a half.

Can we tell from questioning and papers if the Margarita was expected to return directly or was to visit more sites first. If she was expected to return after visiting just this site then she will be missed in just a few days.

She has to be careened to be repaired, Tac4 said that much. It is to risky to do that here. Taking on water she is unlikely to reach the coastal islands along the Georgia and Carolina coast. In particular our mates with the seamanship skill should be able to assess this somewhat. Can we get a more definitive answer after a more detailed assessment by them using that skill?

How about the small cutters and other small vessels that are here. using or selling captured vessels will definitely mark us as pirates but these ships have value. I recommend that we either take or destroy everything at this site since it resisted and make it known that the resistance was the cause of the retaliation.

I know Tac4 specifically stated he did not want us amassing a Pirate fleet but if we could use some of these small vessels to recruit a larger number of men for a one time raid against the treasure sites that would likely overcome any Spanish strengthening of the salvage sites. They have to defend multiple sites we only have to attack one. Still there is a limited window of time before these sites will require a fleet to attack.

Upgrading our ship and using the Vespa as a more legitimate front ship or supply vessel is a good idea. That should be allowable by Tac4. I just don't think the sinking Margarita is the right vessel given our time limitations.

I repeat my call to my team mates to sink/burn this vessel in deeper water after striping her and raid additional unwarned and less defended salvage sites before wrapping up this cruise.
Old 16 Nov 16, 04:29
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I feel we have to get our priorities straight:
do we want more gold or do we want this sloop?

I vote for more gold.
Let's forget about this sloop lest it will weigh us down on our valuable time and resources, take what we want from it, its heavier guns, provisions,
then leave.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 16 Nov 16, 05:47
General of the Forums
Belgium
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Can't we take the sloop and run it down the coast from one camp to the next.

It'll be a familiar ship sighted and they may not expect an attack until it's too late, especially if we can convince some of the original crew to join us.

Haven't read the entire thread yet, sorry if this has been suggested already.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 16 Nov 16, 09:49
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
Can't we take the sloop and run it down the coast from one camp to the next.

It'll be a familiar ship sighted and they may not expect an attack until it's too late, especially if we can convince some of the original crew to join us.

Haven't read the entire thread yet, sorry if this has been suggested already.
We've been told the sloop has to careened to be repaired. She is taking on water. We don't know for sure yet if it is safe to try to relocate her. The after battle report seemed to question if we would even want to keep her.

I'd be all for keeping the sloop and using her like you suggest if she was in better shape.

My questions to our members with the seamanship skill (and Tac4) are

-How long will it take to do repairs?

-Can the pumps keep her afloat if we put to sea with her?

-How many repair points will it take?

-Can we supplement the repair points we have and how long will that take?

-Is the Margarita expected back in St A soon? We may only have a few days at this location before we get more company.
Old 18 Nov 16, 23:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] TacCovert4 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Sorry for the delay, I've been working obscene hours lately (though the overtime check should be equally obscene!!):

Reviewing the after action with your requisite skillsets, you now know the following:

1) Papers show the location of one other site. Indication from some of the ordinary seamen is that it's a bigger site, with a galleon closer to shore.

2) While you have reason to question the veracity, the 1st Leftenant said that they're expected back at St. Augustine within the week. You can tell that these pick ups wouldn't take more than a day at each location if that's what they're actually doing.

3) With constant pumping, the Santa Margarita is keeping above water, but just barely. It's not just battle damage from your guns. The ship is old, and not very well maintained. Between the firing of her own guns, age, and damage, she's worked a lot of caulking loose and sprung some planks on the hull.

4) The sailors you captured are by and large Spanish. The loyalty of the mates and officers might be too questionable for you to recruit, but you easily find a replacement among the remainder of the crew for the dead man. The others (including Guilliame) will be under the ersatz Vespa's doctor's care for a while (the Spanish ship's surgeon patched them up) but they'll be able to help with the sailing soon enough.

----------

You have a grand total of 6 available repair points. To get St.M. ready for sea again, you'll have to expend 5 plus quite some time careened. The ship might or might not be able to hold up in another fight without opening like a flower. To repair the damage you have, it'll cost 3, but most of it can be handled underway, and your pumps are easily keeping pace.

You can transfer all 10 of the 6lbders to Vespa, move 4 3lbders to be bow and stern chasers, and replace some ballast with the other 4. However, you know that too many heavier guns will likely slow the Vespa's sailing performance as it adds more weight above the waterline.

----------

What I will need some consensus on is thus:

1) Will you take what you've got and run, or go south another 20 leagues to the next site. Note that from what you've heard, it's going to be bigger.

2) What, if anything, you will transfer from St. M. to Vespa.

3) Will you careen St. M. and try to get her back seaworthy, spend the points on Vespa, or get moving ASAP.

4) What to do with the prisoners. You can't exactly keep them aboard Vespa, not in that number.

With those 4 questions answered, I can move forward with the next day or few days, depending on what's going on.

Last edited by TacCovert4; 18 Nov 16 at 23:30..
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Nov 16, 00:04
ACG Forums - General Staff
France
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Summer Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Pruitt has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
We need to spend our repair points on Vespa. We transfer the 6 pounders to her and place one three pounder in the bow and one in the stern. The rest of cannon go into ballast. We should abandon the St M and sail South to check out the new site. We drop off the Spanish Officers in one place and the crew in another place. If some of the crew volunteer, fine. If there are any extra sails and spars on the St M we should take them. The rigging is taken down as well. We don't want the Spanish to come behind us and restore the St M. We distribute the Firearms and blades among our crew.

Pruitt

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"
Old 19 Nov 16, 01:13
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Reviewing the after action with your requisite skillsets, you now know the following:

1) Papers show the location of one other site. Indication from some of the ordinary seamen is that it's a bigger site, with a galleon closer to shore.
The galleon is concerning. It could easily have 4-6 times our crew. There was one galleon that survived the storm. if this is her then she would be configured as a transport and have less guns than one configured as a warship. She might also still be significantly damaged.

I don't expect this to be a bluff since it came from the common seamen.

Quote:
2) While you have reason to question the veracity, the 1st Leftenant said that they're expected back at St. Augustine within the week. You can tell that these pick ups wouldn't take more than a day at each location if that's what they're actually doing.
This sounds reasonable but in worst case I'd take it as +/- two days. With no records or logs of previous trips this may not be a regular supply run.

Quote:
3) With constant pumping, the Santa Margarita is keeping above water, but just barely. It's not just battle damage from your guns. The ship is old, and not very well maintained. Between the firing of her own guns, age, and damage, she's worked a lot of caulking loose and sprung some planks on the hull.
Too many repair points and to much time and risks for an old rotten ship.

Quote:
4) The sailors you captured are by and large Spanish. The loyalty of the mates and officers might be too questionable for you to recruit, but you easily find a replacement among the remainder of the crew for the dead man. The others (including Guilliame) will be under the ersatz Vespa's doctor's care for a while (the Spanish ship's surgeon patched them up) but they'll be able to help with the sailing soon enough.
Recruit the best prospect. And hey I'm right proud of my skill-1 doctoring abilities. I can sew your wounds like a seamstress from the top of your scalp to the bottom of your bunions. I'm know for getting both the patient and the injury full of rum.

Quote:
1) Will you take what you've got and run, or go south another 20 leagues to the next site. Note that from what you've heard, it's going to be bigger.
I'd like to check out the site if we leave today. If there is no galleon there then we can at least try to loot some of the smaller vessels working off shore before moving on.

Quote:
2) What, if anything, you will transfer from St. M. to Vespa.
I've already mentioned all medical supplies,the charts and navigation instruments (the instruments are very valuable by size). Also the powder and shot along with any small arms and other weapon. Of course any valuables or treasures. Take enough sail cloth and wood/spars/masts/rigging to cover our repairs without using any of our stock. (maybe that will save/replace a repair point.)

Quote:
3) Will you careen St. M. and try to get her back seaworthy, spend the points on Vespa, or get moving ASAP.
Leave ASAP and make repairs at sea to the Vespa. Take the StM out of sigh in deep water and sink her after looting. Let everyone know she was destroyed because she resisted.

Quote:
4) What to do with the prisoners. You can't exactly keep them aboard Vespa, not in that number.
Leave the crew ashore. Take to officers with us. We'll check their story about the other site if we head there. I propose dropping the officers afterwards somewhere inconvienent on the mainland. As long as we have them aboard make them help with the pumping (with adequate encouragement).

Last edited by Widow Maker; 19 Nov 16 at 01:21..
Old 19 Nov 16, 01:29
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
We need to spend our repair points on Vespa. We transfer the 6 pounders to her and place one three pounder in the bow and one in the stern. The rest of cannon go into ballast. We should abandon the St M and sail South to check out the new site. We drop off the Spanish Officers in one place and the crew in another place. If some of the crew volunteer, fine. If there are any extra sails and spars on the St M we should take them. The rigging is taken down as well. We don't want the Spanish to come behind us and restore the St M. We distribute the Firearms and blades among our crew.

Pruitt
Ah you posted while I was typing.

I see we largely agree. I leave the distribution of the guns to you.

It is simpler and safer to just leave the StM's crew here. And just take the officers.

I recommend we don't just sink or allow the StM to sink but take her well off shore and make sure she goes down and is unrecoverable.
Old 19 Nov 16, 09:07
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I see no reason to change my earlier views:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sennef View Post
I feel we have to get our priorities straight:
do we want more gold or do we want this sloop?

I vote for more gold.
Let's forget about this sloop lest it will weigh us down on our valuable time and resources, take what we want from it, its heavier guns, provisions,
then leave.
I think we need to remain mobile enough to outrun most other ships
while heavily armed enough to win a fight.

This would mean for Tac's four requested specifics:

1) Let's go south another 20 leagues to the next site.

2) Let's transfer 8 of the 6-pounders from St. M. to our Vespa and let them replace our eight 3-pounders. Our original 3-pounders will serve as ballast till optimum sailing ballast is reached, surplus goes radically overboard. We then sink the St. M well off shore.

3) Let's spend the 3 repair points on Vespa while moving ASAP.

4) Let's leave the StM's crew here, take the officers and release them later.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 19 Nov 16, 13:07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Oh and to reinforce something I mentioned earlier. We should destroy the smaller vessels working the area if they are of no use to us. Again make it clear we did this because because the site resisted.

Unless any of them are seaworthy enough to make Nassau. They could help transport excess loot or weapons. They could then be sold or used at any remote camps/bases we might set up.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!