StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Board & Tabletop Gaming

Notices and Announcements

Board & Tabletop Gaming Board games, miniatures, and other similar games and topics.

Old 26 Nov 08, 01:41
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
So the German's won due to the casualty point total?
Yes, it was touch and go till the M3A1 was taken out by that bazooka lucky shot. That pretty much sealed the German victory.
Old 26 Nov 08, 12:05
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Post Wow

I never even thought or knew that vehicles might count for a win in enemy casualties, and maybe trying to pick up a Bazooka, nice job. Hey, maybe if you do a next one you can include some Panzerfausts if we end up running the Germans agian!!

Cheers Mike, this poll run was interesting, your thoughts on how a poll driven game here worked for you, improvements, other wyas, lessons learned please??

Tom
Old 26 Nov 08, 12:08
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Deuce View Post
Turn 9 - Cpt. Tienham's men press forward towards the Exit Hex, abandoning the still malfunctioned MMG.

The Berserk Engineer Squad charges the Americans in the Wooden Building (3V3) at and are immediately cut down.

Lt. Hamblen directs his men to fire the captured Bazooka at the American M3A1 in an effort to keep the crew from manning their MG's against the rest of the advancing German troops. Somehow they manage to score a direct hit destroying the halftrack.
The first event is an error in play.

First the beserkers' charge target is the halftrack (2MF away) and not the infantry in the wooden building (3MF away). I explained this in my post in the poll.

Second, I don't see how the bazooka hit was achieved. There is a +2 captured TH DRM, +1 small target DRM for firing at the halftrack. Also there is a +2 DRM for firing out of a wooden building unless you take the back blast. The leader is wounded so we can't use him to modify the TH DR. The bazooka has a TH of 5 at 4 hexes (IIRC). If we accepted the backblast penalties (a +3 TH DRM) any hit would have caused us casulaties. If we didn't (+5 DRM) then we have to have rolled a 2 and then used the improbable hit rules.
Old 02 Dec 08, 07:37
General
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400] Double Deuce has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianE View Post
The first event is an error in play.
You are partly correct in how it should have played out.

The Halftrack was taken out by the Improbable Hit rule. I read back through it twice to make sure it could actually happen cause I have never been so lucky in my real ASL games. In all the excitement I forgot the backblast from the bazooka which would have casualty reduced one of the German squads, KIA'ed the wounded leader. Depending on the resulting Morale Checks it could have impacted the stack even more. This would have also probably affected the end run of the stack but they could have stayed put and been OK.

IF the leader was KIA'ed then the Americans would have had their 13 points for Victory BUT the Germans would have also had their 13+ from the M3A1 kill. That would have ended the game on Turn 9.
Old 02 Dec 08, 12:52
Lieutenant General
United_States

TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100] TRDG has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Question So Mike, is the end of the game was actually

a draw here then, after checking all of the rules? Otherwise who got the victory points first, might settle this a bit more, even though it is on the same turn for both actions/reactions........??

Cheers

Tom
Sponsored Links

Old 02 Dec 08, 13:25
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDG View Post
a draw here then, after checking all of the rules? Otherwise who got the victory points first, might settle this a bit more, even though it is on the same turn for both actions/reactions........??
No, the Germans would still have won. The points from the M3A1 would have put them higher over the 13 than the Americans may have had. For the Germans they "might" have passed 13 but not by much so the Germans would still have won but the result would have been closer than what I posted.

I recently managed to pick up copies of Gung Ho and Code of Bushido (both PTO) as well as West of Alamein (Desert) so if I do this again I may go with the Pacific or North Africa themed scenarios.
Old 02 Dec 08, 16:16
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400] AdrianE has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
The Halftrack was taken out by the Improbable Hit rule. I read back through it twice to make sure it could actually happen cause I have never been so lucky in my real ASL games.
I have had a few improbable CHs in my time. The first was a bounding fire Jagdtiger 128L CH on an american halftrack (66TK vrs 1 armour!). The second was a 75mm ATG that had changed CA in woods and fired at a moving KV1 through grain (+9 TH). The third was a KV2 that hit a moving PzIV that was sneaking up behind him.

Play long enough and weird stuff happens. It is part of what makes ASL great.

Anyway A.2 applies here. We don't go back and change the outcome because a rule was forgotten or mis-applied.

Thanks for running it.
Old 02 Dec 08, 16:20
Lieutenant General
Canada

Quote:
IF the leader was KIA'ed then the Americans would have had their 13 points for Victory BUT the Germans would have also had their 13+ from the M3A1 kill.
The wounded leader is only worth 1CVP. The wound cancels his -1 modifier and thus cancels the bonus CVP for leadership. Check the CVP rules carefully for this.
Old 02 Dec 08, 17:26
Lieutenant General
United_States

Wink

Quote:
No, the Germans would still have won. The points from the M3A1 would have put them higher over the 13 than the Americans may have had. For the Germans they "might" have passed 13 but not by much so the Germans would still have won but the result would have been closer than what I posted.

I recently managed to pick up copies of Gung Ho and Code of Bushido (both PTO) as well as West of Alamein (Desert) so if I do this again I may go with the Pacific or North Africa themed scenarios.

That sounds good Mike, I just wanted to recheck here with ya, I hav'nt done any Pacific stuff yet, that may be interesting to try out here at ACG.

Cheers

Tom
Old 03 Dec 08, 18:27
General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDG View Post
That sounds good Mike, I just wanted to recheck here with ya, I hav'nt done any Pacific stuff yet, that may be interesting to try out here at ACG.
ASL Rules are pretty extensive and I just picked up the PTO and DTO stuff so I am way behind on learning those. I'll probably be reading and re-reading between now and Christmas just trying to get a basic understanding of them.
Old 03 Dec 08, 19:49
Lieutenant General
United_States

Wink Roger that

Let us know what you cook up next here when you can, needless to say, is it pretty interesting so far?

Cheers

Tom

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!