HistoryNet.com RSS
ArmchairGeneral.com RSS

HistoryNet.com Articles
America's Civil War
American History
Aviation History
Civil War Times
MHQ
Military History
Vietnam
Wild West
World War II

ACG Online
ACG Magazine
Stuff We Like
War College
History News
Tactics 101
Carlo D'Este
Books

ACG Gaming
Boardgames
PC Game Reviews

ACG Network
Contact Us
Our Newsletter
Meet Our Staff
Advertise With Us

Sites We Support
HistoryNet.com
StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Research, Reference and Historical Study

Notices and Announcements

Research, Reference and Historical Study Books, maps, orders-of-battle and other references. .

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20 Jul 14, 03:22
Duncan's Avatar
Duncan Duncan is offline
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ***
Posts: 13,078
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
How do you know when you are right?

When making a historical analysis how do we know when we got it right? What do we measure an argument against to prove it?
__________________
AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.
Reply With Quote
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
  #2  
Old 20 Jul 14, 20:50
GCoyote's Avatar
GCoyote GCoyote is offline
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
 
Real Name: Gary C
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD, USA
Posts: 19,101
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm generally extremely cautious in this area. Most battles are simply too large for one mind to encompass leaving even sober eye-witness testimony to be evaluated skeptically. The importance of war as a part of one's national narrative naturally leads to additional inconsistencies of memory and interpretation. Good research looks at the available evidence and is not afraid to say 'we don't know' when such evidence is inconclusive.
__________________
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20 Jul 14, 22:09
sherlock's Avatar
sherlock sherlock is offline
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
 
Real Name: Watson
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Redding, California
Posts: 727
sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100] sherlock has demonstrated strength of character [100]
We can't. Accepted history is merely the opinion of the majority. That is what keeps the revisionists occupied and the rest of us interested in the study of it. History is interesting to many of us because we will never truly know what happened. We can form our own historical opinions and no matter what anyone does it is unlikely that they will ever change it.
__________________
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20 Jul 14, 22:17
OpanaPointer's Avatar
OpanaPointer OpanaPointer is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 11,682
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
I go with the weight and quality of the evidence. Single-sourced material is not taken as gospel, but if you have many independent corroborative sources then you can have high confidence. CTers, on the other hand, tend to accept any source that supports their theory uncritically.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22 Jul 14, 15:36
Duncan's Avatar
Duncan Duncan is offline
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ***
Posts: 13,078
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
We can't. Accepted history is merely the opinion of the majority. That is what keeps the revisionists occupied and the rest of us interested in the study of it. History is interesting to many of us because we will never truly know what happened. We can form our own historical opinions and no matter what anyone does it is unlikely that they will ever change it.
That's the point. Historical analysis shouldn't be opinion. It should be fact. And as such it needs some kind of test for validity.
__________________
AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22 Jul 14, 20:30
Freightshaker's Avatar
Freightshaker Freightshaker is offline
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
 
Real Name: Scott Anderson
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Keeping it between the lines
Posts: 16,638
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
That's the point. Historical analysis shouldn't be opinion. It should be fact. And as such it needs some kind of test for validity.
History changes as new material surfaces, consider how our our perception of The Eastern Front changed once the Soviet archives were opened, and thus precludes becoming fact. Some things, such as dates and personalities, are fact, but other not so much.

As for a validity test; if both sides of the conflict agree on the history, then it would have to be true.
__________________
If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29 Jul 14, 18:24
Duncan's Avatar
Duncan Duncan is offline
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ***
Posts: 13,078
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
There must be something that can be a test for validity though. I recall reading about Phillip II and the book spoke of archeological evidence agreeing with first hand accounts.
__________________
AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29 Jul 14, 18:37
HMS Jr.'s Avatar
HMS Jr. HMS Jr. is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tejas
Posts: 5,983
HMS Jr. has a spectacular aura about [400]
HMS Jr. has a spectacular aura about [400] HMS Jr. has a spectacular aura about [400]
How do you know when you are right?

Comparative analysis using like or similar situational outcomes; if any, using your best probability givens, ditto, and tempered with "common sense", while allowing that one (self) could jolly well be wrong as wearing two left shoes and taking it all with a modicum of grace and not going apeshit behind it all.
__________________
Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30 Jul 14, 06:30
Snowygerry's Avatar
Snowygerry Snowygerry is offline
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gent
Posts: 11,396
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Perhaps if you'd specify a bit things would be clearer ?

In general you measure an argument against either an historical source or another, previously made argument.

Peer reviews can be useful, if any number of colleagues, who's opinion you respect, consider your argument complete rubbish, it may cause you to reconsider.

Also any reading of history involving anything but the most basic facts, will be an interpretation, never a final version since new sources will inevitably appear.

Thus you'll find historians being careful mostly, "Most agree that..." or "Standard history assumes..."
__________________
High The Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor - The Napoleonic Wars Campaign.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30 Jul 14, 10:53
GCoyote's Avatar
GCoyote GCoyote is offline
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
 
Real Name: Gary C
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD, USA
Posts: 19,101
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Say only what you know.

One way in which people get into trouble is reading too much into the available data.
You see this "pop archeology" where a dressed stone under water is freely interpreted as evidence of Atlantis or a bit of wood on a Turkish mountain side part of Noah's Ark.

The least reliable narratives IMO are those that claim to know the mind of some historical figure. Some of the most pointless arguments in our Civil War and WWI forums turn on the state of mind of someone long dead.
__________________
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

  #11  
Old 31 Jul 14, 20:47
Duncan's Avatar
Duncan Duncan is offline
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ***
Posts: 13,078
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoyote View Post
One way in which people get into trouble is reading too much into the available data.
You see this "pop archeology" where a dressed stone under water is freely interpreted as evidence of Atlantis or a bit of wood on a Turkish mountain side part of Noah's Ark.

The least reliable narratives IMO are those that claim to know the mind of some historical figure. Some of the most pointless arguments in our Civil War and WWI forums turn on the state of mind of someone long dead.
I'm getting annoyed with the way conspiracy theories and sensationalism is creeping into recent documentaries.
__________________
AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01 Aug 14, 19:58
Andy H's Avatar
Andy H Andy H is offline
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
 
Real Name: Andy H
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun
Posts: 9,997
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I'm getting annoyed with the way conspiracy theories and sensationalism is creeping into recent documentaries.
Hi

Well that's almost par for the course, as the producers are worried about attention spans. So they throw in potential CT's WI's and 'sexed up' accounts/reconstructions to hopefully keep us entertained-which as we well know is alot different than informed.

Regards
__________________
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01 Aug 14, 20:08
Andy H's Avatar
Andy H Andy H is offline
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
 
Real Name: Andy H
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun
Posts: 9,997
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
When making a historical analysis how do we know when we got it right? What do we measure an argument against to prove it?
Hi Duncan

Within the academic arena its the Peer Review system as mentioned by an earlier poster, though this itself is under some scrutiny. The rigor of the Peer Review which was once the bedrock of its worth, has been slowly eroded.

http://societyofbiologyblog.org/publ...t-for-purpose/

The line between Opinion and Interpretation is very whimsical, often the latter morphs into the former without any conscious actions.

On a personnel level I go upon the depth of research done by the person. I see what primary source documents he has interrogated, there secondary sources (both published & unpublished) and lastly the gravitas of the person themselves. Obviously quite hard if its a first book, but there are usually other indicators as to whether you should take the persons POV as correct.

Regards
__________________
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01 Aug 14, 21:05
Phebe's Avatar
Phebe Phebe is offline
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,850
Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400]
I think this is a very good question.

In my case I've realized that history is a question of what narrative *I* am satisfied with, and to know that it's a question of being satisfied, not of "truth." We cannot know the truth: we weren't there. Even if we had been, we might well not know: we don't know what is really going on with events in the news today, like Ukraine or Gaza or Ebola.

I have concluded personally that the task requires reading it ALL. I mean, shelves worth, on a given subject. I have found out two things: that the higher flying historians who want to entertain will say ANYTHING, if it makes a good story and fits their hobby horse. No more Martin Gilbert for me. No more Max Hastings. But that the other 16 books on a given topic -- say, the Gavrilo Princip episode -- will say the same thing on certain parts of it and vary widely on others. Where exactly was Gavrilo, and was he sitting having coffee? Was he standing by the corner? Did he have a friend with him, or not? Everyone says something different. But some things enough writers agree on that I can be satisfied with the narrative and accept it. Not as truth: just....accept it. Both Gavrilo and Cabrinovic ate those cyanide tablets and got throwing-up sick, but the capsules were too old to work. Every historian says that and it was testified by both men in court.

What I really like is when somebody PROVES something. The deeply satisfying moment when they dug up Richard III. The fashion for a hundred years has been to say he wasn't REALLY hunchbacked, that was all just Tudor prejudice!! Then they dig him up and yep, the guy had pronounced scoliosis. Not so bad that he couldn't fight! And did: that he died sword in hand and his crown flew off his head into a highly symbolic, ominous thornbush is generally agreed. That they hauled him naked and face-up on a mule or donkey to be buried also is agreed and seems to fit the dug-up corpse. I was never satisfied with all that "Tudor prejudice" stuff: it just felt wrong. And it was wrong --- it was pure political agenda, if of a whacky type.

I like people to argue by taking account of facts. For example, there are people who just haul off and say Serbia had nothing to do with the Archduke's assassination! AAAAAaaaaaaagh. The situation was subtle, true, but to say Serbia had nothing to do with it ------ yow. That's just a sweeping statement that isn't historical, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02 Aug 14, 19:15
Andy H's Avatar
Andy H Andy H is offline
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
 
Real Name: Andy H
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun
Posts: 9,997
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phebe View Post
I think this is a very good question.

In my case I've realized that history is a question of what narrative *I* am satisfied with, and to know that it's a question of being satisfied, not of "truth."
Hi Phebe

Are you satisfied because it answers all your questions? or are you satisfied because it supports or reinforces you viewpoint?

Regards
__________________
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Reply With Quote
Reply

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!


Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 13:16.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.