StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 11 Jan 18, 16:58
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
After Jeroen's introduction of Robert Harris and reading "The Officer and A Spy" and "Conclave", I am off and running with "Pompeii" and "Enigma" in the ready rack with "Imperium" on order. I like the author's depth of research, character development, storytelling, and command of the language. For these reasons, I will read Munich despite a disappointed ending for Jeroen.
Finished "Imperium" and now into "Conspirata". Received today Harris's nonfiction, "Good and Faithful Servant: The Unauthorized Biography of Bernard Ingham" from 1990 while he still had a day job of writing a weekly column in the Sunday Times. Blurb on the back observes, "By concentrating on the PM's beloved press secretary, Harris has found the perfect angle from which to survey the style and methods of the Thatcher regime."

This nonfictional perfect angle describes the perfect perspective in his fictional works, such as the personal secretary as the storyteller in the Cicero Trilogy or the administrative cardinal in the Vatican involved in the Conclave.
Old 12 Jan 18, 03:46
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
This nonfictional perfect angle describes the perfect perspective in his fictional works, such as the personal secretary as the storyteller in the Cicero Trilogy or the administrative cardinal in the Vatican involved in the Conclave.
Although it stared me in the face I never realised this red thread. You are right this angle is a trend throughout Harris work, another notable example where it is even woven in the title is :'the Ghost', adapted into quite a good movie by Roman Polanski.
Here Harris employs in a thriller the same technique by concentrating on a PM's (Tony Blair?) ghost writer, which allows Harris to survey the style and methods of the Blair regime leading the UK into the Iraq War.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 12 Jan 18, 06:47
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
Although it stared me in the face I never realised this red thread. You are right this angle is a trend throughout Harris work, another notable example where it is even woven in the title is :'the Ghost', adapted into quite a good movie by Roman Polanski.
Here Harris employs in a thriller the same technique by concentrating on a PM's (Tony Blair?) ghost writer, which allows Harris to survey the style and methods of the Blair regime leading the UK into the Iraq War.

I saw Ghost Writer which I enjoyed, and now I am going to get the book, because a movie cannot pickup fully Harris's nuances in characters.
Old 12 Jan 18, 13:05
Lieutenant General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300] Capt AFB is on a distinguished road [300]
Picked up Harris' "Munich" as an audiobook for my road travels.

Started reading Michael Korda's "Hero, the Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia"...A quite interesting read, very well researched and the author brings in the nuances from other authors that wrote bio's about TE Lawrence.

Figured I wanted to read a bio of Lawrence of Arabia before reading his "Seven Pillars of Wisdom."
Old 12 Jan 18, 13:40
ACG Author
United_States

For me reading Lawrence's 'Seven Pillars' was like riding across a desert on a camel--many parts became monotonous, but in Book III, Chapter 33, he explains his epiphany during a delirious illness for his concept to defeat the Turks. Brilliant--that chapter alone was worth the long ride.

Old 12 Jan 18, 15:18
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
EU
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
deja-vu

Quote:
For me reading Lawrence's 'Seven Pillars' was like riding across a desert on a camel--many parts became monotonous, but in Book III, Chapter 33, he explains his epiphany during a delirious illness for his concept to defeat the Turks. Brilliant--that chapter alone was worth the long ride.
You haven't seen reason to change your old preferences, have you Rick
Nor have I, fully agree.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 15 Jan 18, 00:06
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900]
CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900]

Found at a second hand bookstore. Good coverage of Fubuki, Navigatori, Fantasque, Porter and Somers, Tribal, and Narvik classes of destroyers built/designed by Japan, Italy, France, US, UK and Germany between the wars.
Old 17 Jan 18, 12:05
United_States
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200] warmoviebuff is walking in the light [200]
Currently listening to (I still read, but I use Audible when I'm walking) "A World Undone" by G.J. Meyer. It is about WWI. I am enjoying it. He covers all the theaters, but not in tedious detail. I especially like his "Background" chapters where he covers topics like Lawrence of Arabia.

Old 17 Jan 18, 17:09
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmoviebuff View Post
Currently listening to (I still read, but I use Audible when I'm walking) "A World Undone" by G.J. Meyer. It is about WWI. I am enjoying it. He covers all the theaters, but not in tedious detail. I especially like his "Background" chapters where he covers topics like Lawrence of Arabia.

Read this one a few years back, really enjoyed it. The "background" chapters are very interesting.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!