StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 09 Sep 17, 20:44
Banned
UK
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Interesting Nam quotes

Interesting quotes-

"The American military was not defeated in Vietnam. The American military did not lose a battle of any consequence. From a military standpoint, it was almost an unprecedented performance"- Prof. Douglas Pike, University of California, Berkeley

"Washington locked me into a defensive strategy, thereby preventing me bringing the war to a swift conclusion"- Gen.Wm Westmoreland

Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Sep 17, 13:51
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
PAVN reply

[QUOTE

"The American military was not defeated in Vietnam. The American military did not lose a battle of any consequence. From a military standpoint, it was almost an unprecedented performance"- Prof. Douglas Pike, University of California, Berkeley

A resident scholar can pinpoint the original source for this PAVN retort:
["That may be true; it is also irrelevant."] (Might have been Giap)
Old 12 Sep 17, 13:55
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
BS Detector quote

Another memorable VN postwar quote:
"Vietnam vets have a BS detector that can pick up a calf's fart at ten miles."
Old 12 Sep 17, 15:20
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
What the Fk they goina do??? Bend my Fkn dog tags and send me to Nam?

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 13 Sep 17, 02:23
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
What the Fk they goina do??? Bend my Fkn dog tags and send me to Nam?
"Can you dig it? Oh, Wow, man--not EVEN. There it is. Don't MEAN nothin'.
WTF, over?"
Old 13 Sep 17, 07:37
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Time for some "Fun and Games." Going out on one of Garth's glory missions.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 13 Sep 17, 10:23
Sergeant Major
Powflag
5 Year Service Ribbon 

hankwill has disabled reputation
"GET SOME"(kick the enemy's A$$)
Old 13 Sep 17, 10:28
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post

A resident scholar can pinpoint the original source for this PAVN retort:
["That may be true; it is also irrelevant."] (Might have been Giap)
The U.S. deserted its allies before the war was won.

All those lives lost for nothing.
Old 13 Sep 17, 17:33
Banned
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I had the following e-mail correspondence with Nam Huey pilot Robert Mason (author of Chickenhawk) in 2011 and he gave me permission to post it in internet forums which I've done, but I can't remember if I've posted it in AG before, so here it is anyway-

Mason

http://www.robertcmason.com/
--------------------------------------------------

(RM)-Hi Mick. Sure, send me some questions.
Best,
Robert Mason

(POS)-Hi Mr. Mason, Thanks for kindly agreeing to answer some chatty questions, I've just read Chickenhawk again for the second time (the first was about 20 years ago). I spent 1965/ 66 as a teenager working in a boring warehouse here in England while you were having fun in Vietnam..
Okay here goes-
When you joined the army to be taught to fly helos at no financial cost to yourself (smart move), Nam hadn't yet flared up bigtime, but suppose the war was raging, would you still have joined up knowing you were going to get sent there and shot at?
Incidentally,about how many other Cav/Prospector pilots joined just to be taught how to fly?
(RM)- It probably wouldn't have made any difference. I remember seeing a Newsweek magazine which showed a helicopter crewchief in Vietnam (1962) with a couple of captured VC. I recall thinking how advanced we were compared to the Vietnamese. How dangerous could it be? I think that goes for most of my comrades. You just can't see the danger when your of a certain age. Until you get there.

(POS)- When you got to Nam and began getting shot at, did you ever think "What the hell have I got myself into?", and feel any resentment towards yourself, the Army and the world in general, or did you take it philosophically and just decide to ride out your tour without complaining?
(RM)-I complained all the time. I was the worse team player you can imagine. I did the job, but I bitched the whole way.

(POS)- How did your wife Patience, her parents and your parents feel about the Army sending you into harms way? I mean, there must have been Army helo pilots flying in different parts of the world and even within the US homeland, so why weren't you assigned to somewhere like that instead of Nam?
(RM)-Patience was for our foray into Vietnam while I was against it, politically speaking. She later changed her mind when I started sending her letters.

(POS)- For about half (?) your year-long tour, you and most of your Cav pilot colleagues were without chest protectors, yet other units (Prospectors) always had more than enough.
Didn't you or your Cav mates ever get mad and feel like raising hell about the shortage, as obviously it was caused by some incompetent admin foulup.
(RM)- We complained, but it's difficult to know to whom to complain in an organization the size of the US Army. Besides, we didn't know other units had them until we were assigned to them later.

(POS)- Why didn't your superior officers do something to put it right? (Personally I'd have been so mad I'd have been in a permanent state of near-mutiny and done stuff like leaking the story to the media and continually bellyaching to the brass).
I'd have even somehow made my own chest protector (a slab of thick steel) hung around my neck and buttoned under my flight suit. I might even have put another slab under a cushion to sit on.
(RM)- They did try to get us the armor. The officers who could've gotten the armor were met with a wall of bureaucracy that claimed the stuff was just lost in the vast supply line and would turn up any day. So, the belief that the chest protectors were on the way, just delayed, kept us going. Besides, it's a war, right? I thought armored helmets would be smart, too, but they were never made. These days the helos are armored quite well, but a Huey wouldn't get off the ground with the armor they carry on a Blackhawk, for example.

(POS)- Presumably not all pilots were married with children, so looking back, do you think they were the ones who handled combat stress better?
I mean, married guys such as yourself must have had the huge extra worry of staying alive for your family.
(I remember when my elderly mother was alive, I used to be extra careful while cycling to work in case I got trashed in a road accident because always at the back of my mind was the thought that I had to stay alive for her. When she died, I felt that heavy 'must stay alive' burden lifted from my shoulders)
(RM)- I don't think that was the case. I think everyone, single or otherwise, had family they would not like to abandon by dying prematurely.

(POS)- What was your personal life philosophy during your time in Nam? Was it christian-based, scientology-based, hindu-based or whatever?
How about your pilot mates, what was their philo outlook too?
(RM)- We had the usual mix of religious and agnostics. I was, and am, clueless about higher powers, etc. I did offer up some pleas for help when I was in the middle of some sh*t. Foxhole religion, I guess.

(POS)- You were offered a switch to gunships in the Prospectors, but you preferred staying with unarmed slicks, any particular reason? At least with guns you could have given Charlie some payback instead of just sitting and passively taking it in slicks.
(RM)- The reason we wanted (Resler) to stay with slicks was for purely superstitious reasons. There was no logic in this decision, of course. We just had survived doing what we did, and didn't want to change it. Probably we were safer in the slick job because we were very good at it with lots of experience by the time we got to the Blue Stars (Prospectors). Don't change horses mid-stream?

(POS)- You were only in your 20's, so looking back do you think your lack of life experience added to the stress?
I mean, suppose you were sent to Nam as a mature 40-plus years of age, do you think you'd have handled it better?
If you could reach back through time to Nam and give that young kid called Bob Mason any fatherly advice, what would it be?
(RM)- No, as a matter of fact, the older guys seemed to suffer more (I'm too old for this sh*t?). Cpt Morris, for example, was a nervous wreck about the tight formation flying, the night formation flying, the refueling chaos, etc. And he died of a bullet in the heart. It didn't matter. Certainly that was a demonstration to us that it didn't matter how cool or how stressed you were taking all this sh*t, bullets are the great equalizers. The key to your reaction to stress was whether you cared or not. I cared, I paid.
Best wishes,
Robert Mason

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 13 Sep 17 at 17:41..
Old 14 Sep 17, 11:53
General of the Forums
United_States

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Number 10

Old 14 Sep 17, 21:09
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700]
jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700] jeffdoorgunnr is a glorious beacon of light [700]
"I'm so short I need a step ladder to see over the edge of a dime..........."
Old 14 Sep 17, 21:36
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
"When we've got 'em by the balls...their hearts and minds will follow."
Old 14 Sep 17, 21:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybriar View Post
The U.S. deserted its allies before the war was won.

All those lives lost for nothing.
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14 Sep 17, 21:57
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700] Urban hermit is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Hearts and Minds, best places for a kill shot.
Old 14 Sep 17, 22:44
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
My all-time favorite from the front of the Claymore mine: THIS SIDE TOWARD ENEMY.

And from the Army manual on hand grenades: "Remember...after you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is not your friend."

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!