StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > Armchair Attacks! > Greatest/Best Tank of WW2

Notices and Announcements

Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 An archive of the WWII Forum's Greatest/Best Tank mini-contest.

View Poll Results: Which of these represents the biggest contribution to the advancement of tank design?
Matilda II 0 0%
Crusader 0 0%
Churchill 0 0%
Valentine 0 0%
Cromwell 0 0%
Somua S-35 1 2.13%
Char B-1 bis 0 0%
PzKpfw 38(t) 0 0%
PzKpfw III 5 10.64%
PzKpfw IV (short & long guns combined) 0 0%
Tiger I 1 2.13%
Panther 7 14.89%
Tiger II 2 4.26%
M 13-40/14-41/15-42 0 0%
Type 97 Chi-Ha 0 0%
BT-5/7 5 10.64%
T-34 (76 and 85 combined) 26 55.32%
KV-1 0 0%
IS-2 0 0%
M3 Medium 0 0%
M4 Medium (all versions combined) 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jul 12, 14:58
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
I chose the Pz III. For its time when introduced it was ground breaking. The torsion bar suspension has since become a world standard. You can't really tell the difference between a Pz III's suspension and most modern tanks. The double bogie road wheel with return rollers is a standard.
The crew layout became a norm for over a decade. Giving the vehicle several machineguns (the early ones had two coaxial plus a useful hull mounted one) was a smart move that in modern tanks is copied to a degree with several external MG for engaging soft targets. The armament was not spectacular but efficent and capable with both an HE and AP round.
Overall, it was a serious advance in the mid to late 30's.

Significant advancement: T34, Panther. The T34 for its armor arrangement and drive train (rear driven). Otherwise, it was a pretty poor design. The suspension was nothing great. Crew layout was poor. Access was not well thought out with the front hatch for the driver and large single hatch on the turret.
The Panther made all the improvements that the T34 should have had.

Average advancement: The M 4 Sherman. It brings standardization and interchangability to tank design for the first time. The choice of a large standard size turret ring makes it possible to keep the vehicle competitive far better than other contemporaries. Ease of maintenance and access is unmatched. The engagement system for the gunner is something that has since become a standard too. A wide view periscope capable of allowing a rough fast lay and then a decent gunsight for final lay.
Interchangable engines, tracks, suspension, all make the Sherman significant in allowing for a really upgradable tank for the first time.

Little or no significance: The rest of the vehicles listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
Thanks TAG. At the moment, I have distributed the points as follows for your name here:

'Champion' tank with 10 points: PzKpfw III

Significant advancement ... (9) T-34, Panther
Advancement in a few areas ... (6) M4 Medium

Based on your post, I attempted to place the remainder that you had grouped together as a single bunch, in these two brackets that are left:

Represented reasonable but unremarkable progress (3)
Represented no worthwhile progress ... (0)

However, your wording "Little or no significance" made that difficult so in the end, I decided to 'temporarily' give all of the following tanks the 'default'* half points score:

Matilda II
Crusader
Churchill
Valentine
Cromwell
Somua S-35
Char B-1 bis
PzKpfw 38(t)
PzKpfw IV
Tiger I
Tiger II
M 13-40
Type 97
BT-5/7
KV-1
IS-2
M3 Medium

.... which is a very blunt instrument indeed. I can leave them like this if you want but if you're not totally happy with that, could you please indicate which brackets you want these tanks to go into.

*Edit: The method of 'default' scoring for unplaced tanks has since been amended. These tanks will now be given an average of the scores derived from those members who have voted for them or placed them. If anyone is unsure how this works or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask me.
Hi there, TAG

After re-reading the thread, I have distributed the remaining 20 tanks for you against the four available brackets, as per below:

Significant advancement for its time and quite influential (9 points) T-34, Panther

Advancement in a few areas but not particularly influential (6 points) M4 Medium

Represented reasonable but unremarkable progress (3 points) Matilda II, Crusader, Churchill, Valentine, Cromwell, Somua S-35, Char B-1 bis, PzKpfw 38(t), PzKpfw IV

Represented no worthwhile progress in any area at all (0 points) Tiger I, Tiger II, M 13/40, Type 97, BT-5/7, KV-1, IS-2, M3 Medium

As I'm pretty sure that at least a few of these placings will not meet with your approval, could you please advise me ASAP (i.e. before the polls close) what adjustments you would like to have made. You will likely want to move some tanks up or down a bracket. Or, as an alternative if you agree, I can just use average scores (from all the other members) for all the tanks in the third and fourth brackets?
In the meantime, the above is what has been entered on the spreadsheet for you.

Regards,
p3485

Edit: TAG - having received no reply from you as of 3 August, I have decided to go with the 'average scores' option for all tanks except PzKpfw III, Panther, T-34 and M4 Medium (the only ones you have given specific ratings for). This will offer a more representative result.
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Last edited by panther3485; 03 Aug 12 at 13:14..
Old 03 Aug 12, 13:21
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorankka View Post
Thank you for welcoming and noticing me about T-34. I would rate T-34 as Significant advancement for its time and quite influential. Sloped armour and inspiration to T-44/45 and other late T-class tanks.
Hi Senorankka,

Thank you for completing your Level 2 voting in this poll, and the Transportability & Deployment poll.
As you have not offered ratings for the other 10 polls, I will be using the averages of the other Level 2 voters to determine your scores in those polls.
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)
Old 12 Aug 12, 01:43
Australia

Final Scores for 'Advancement of Tank Design'

Final Scores for the 'Advancement of Tank Design' poll:

1st - T-34 (9.5)
2nd - Panther (9)
3rd - BT-5/7 (7.8)
Equal 4th - PzKpfw III and Tiger I (7.4)
5th - M4 Medium (7.3)
6th - Churchill (6.5)
7th - Tiger II (6.3)
8th - PzKpfw IV (6.2)
9th - IS-2 (5.5)
10th - Somua S-35 (5.4)
Equal 11th - Char B-1 bis and KV-1
12th - M3 Medium (3.8)
13th - Type 97 (3.5)
14th - Matilda II (3)
Equal 15th - Cromwell and PzKpfw 38(t) (2.8)
16th - Valentine (2.3)
17th - Crusader (1.8)
18th - M 13-40 (1)

Comments:

No surprise at all with the #1 tank here. IMO, not really up for debate. Many of the rest could be, although I'm thinking that once you get down past, say about 11th place on this list it becomes relatively meaningless anyway, more so than for most of the other polls.

Last edited by panther3485; 12 Aug 12 at 08:34..
Old 13 Aug 12, 04:44
General of the Forums
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+] broderickwells has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Two surprises for me on that list - the BT-5/7 finishing as high as it did, but what was really a bloated Panther with no advances at all, the Tiger II, finishing 7th with 6.3 points. The myth lives.
Old 13 Aug 12, 07:50
Australia

My guess is that with the Panther, some folks are thinking purely in terms of its overall design and what that represented as a 'step forward'; and pretty much ignoring the physical shortcomings the tank had in reality. The criterion does allow them to do that, if they interpret it that way.

As for the BT, this started off as an unashamed copy (with minor modifications) of an American design purchased from the USA so IMO the Soviets don't really deserve points for innovation with that particular tank.

Last edited by panther3485; 13 Aug 12 at 07:58..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!